- In most cases the cause is due to Zone Alarm (free version, the paid version does not appear to have this same issue).
- If you're having an issue and you're not running Zone Alarm then please run the mbam-clean routine below which in most cases should resolve the issue for you.
- There was an issue with Avast! but Avast! has since corrected the issue on their end so update Avast! if you're using Avast! and still having an issue.
- If you're using Zone Alarm (free version) and you wish to run Zone Alarm you will not be able to use our Protection Module until a fix for ZoneAlarm is found. We are currently working with some users on a possible solution and will post more on this soon.
- Some computers are actually infected and the infection has probably prevented the update. In which case you need to seek help in the forum below to seek help with cleaning your computer.
If you're having an issue with the update and you're not running ZoneAlarm or Privacy Firewall then you must run the MBAM-CLEAN utility and reboot your computer. Make sure you tell or allow your Anti-Virus it's okay to run mbam-clean.exe
#1 Please do the following:
- Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
- It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
- After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
- Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
- Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.
You can start by posting a set of DDS scan logs and we might be able to determine if you need further assistance in the HJT forum.
Download DDS and save it to your desktop
Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr to run the tool.
When done, the DDS.txt will open.
Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.
- When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
- Save both reports to your desktop
- Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....
Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:
Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult
You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:
- Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
- Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
- Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support
As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the
Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.
- Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
- After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification,
so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.
If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.
- If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
- You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.
Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at email@example.com or here.
If you would like to use our Malwarebytes Premium Services, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our Malwarebytes Premium Services support site.
Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.
PS: Please use the "Add Reply" button not the Reply button when you start replying.