Megaupload shut down

goldhound

McLEAN, Va. — One of the world’s largest file-sharing sites was shut down Thursday, and its founder and several company executives were charged with violating piracy laws, federal prosecutors said.

An indictment accuses Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed one day after websites including Wikipedia and Craigslist shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart online piracy.

http://bostonherald.com/jobfind/news/media/view/20120119feds_shut_down_file-sharing_website

• 1 month later...

I don't wanna sound pro cenzorship or anything, but these were bad guys, they probably deserved what they got. I am not very happy about Megaupload though. Ever since this Megaupload scandal, many other file sharing platforms shut down, which is a pity. What are you guys using out of curiosity?

But anyways, peolpe will always come up with new ways for file sharing. I've actually been hearing about this new technology from Audials that is apparently safe to use; they are calling it a dark net (uuh). I don't know why though, because I really didn't find out too much about it. I only know it's something different from Megaupload but you can share files via internet with it. I actually googled it and I found out that Audials is in fact a software, not a website or anything like Megaupload. Have you guys also heard about it or even used Audials? To be honest I'd be curious to know what it is and even try it out if it's safe to use..but I am a little bit confused on how it actually works.

The Safe Harbour provisions of the law only go so far. So if a File Hosting service provider doesn't take proper action to protect IP then the File Hosting service provider can be shutdown as being a complicit party.

Then there are the idiots such as Scott Smith of FileAve.Com whose naieve approach as a File Hosting service provider lead to such wide malicious use that there were tutorials on "spreading malware" and how to use File.Ave.Com maliciously and spread your malware and make money illegally. That site was shutdown as well. S_THUM~11.GIF

I don't wanna sound pro cenzorship or anything, but these were bad guys, they probably deserved what they got.

I never liked MegaUpload, however I'm not sure how they were "bad guys". The people who did this to them were the real criminals.

... What are you guys using out of curiosity? ...

My own FTP server, or when I'm feeling lazy I use BayFiles (and yes I do know who runs it).

... I've actually been hearing about this new technology from Audials that is apparently safe to use; they are calling it a dark net (uuh). ...

Dark nets are nothing new. Freenet has used one for a long time. The idea is complete and total anonymity on the Internet. Dark nets are P2P networks that use heavy encryption to prevent anyone from knowing what it being transmitted over the network. A dark net works differently than a normal P2P network however, as you are required to build your own list of trusted peers. This is different than what is called an "open net", where the client automatically connects to anyone else's client that it can. Dark nets are actually far more secure, and far better at protecting your data. Dark nets are not a bad thing (unless you work for the FBI, because dark nets are meant to guarantee our freedom from government and corporate scrutiny).

• Root Admin

Suppose that depends on what you're doing. Encrypted traffic leaves a fingerprint and that fingerprint is quite similar to an MD5 hash that can be (and is monitored) from outside the tunnel, and going to the trouble of setting this up does not leave one with much ability to say they didn't know what they were doing and ask for leniency.

... going to the trouble of setting this up does not leave one with much ability to say they didn't know what they were doing and ask for leniency.

Considering how many people use encryption for legitimate purposes (secure communications, legal file sharing, etc) you could always argue that this is a normal means of communicating or sharing files. Whether or not a court would show leniency would depend on the dispositions of the judge and jury, as well as the abilities of the lawyers to make the judge and jury see things their way.

Unfortunately, the legal system in the USA is not black and white...

I don't wanna sound pro cenzorship or anything, but these were bad guys, they probably deserved what they got. I am not very happy about Megaupload though. Ever since this Megaupload scandal, many other file sharing platforms shut down, which is a pity. What are you guys using out of curiosity?

Filesonic will no longer allow sharing of files with others except the user who uploaded them.

GT500, thanks for the info, I didn't hear about Freenet before. Speaking of file sharing, I found this article today: http://www.mytechguide.org/11375/audials-anywhere-personal-media-cloud-rumor/ it's about that Audials Anywhere soft I was asking about. Is it anything similar to a dark net? Or is it an open net? I think it resembles odc or dc++, I used to use these some time ago..but to be honest I am really interested in trying out this particular soft.