#1 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

Federal prosecutors say data from users of Megaupload could be deleted as soon as Thursday.

U.S. prosecutors blocked access to Megaupload and charged seven men, saying the site facilitated millions of illegal downloads of movies, music and other content.

The company says its millions of users stored their own data, including family photos and personal documents. They haven't been able to see their data since the government raids earlier this month, but there has been hope would be able to get it back.

Read the full article at http://www.msnbc.msn...ience-security/

One good reason to avoid backing up your personal data to the cloud. Personally, I'm having second thoughts on this as you can't fully trust the cloud. ;)

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#2 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

I still feel sorry for MegaUpload... We're going to see websites like that disappear soon... And then what's next? Pastebin?

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#3 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

[quote name='GT500' timestamp='1328029709' post='522223']
I still feel sorry for MegaUpload... We're going to see websites like that disappear soon... And then what's next? Pastebin?
[/quote]

Same here. They had their chance to be a good site with millions of users, but they took a wrong turn and payed the price. I wouldn't be surprised for sites like dropbox, rapidshare,mediafire etc. Very likely a DMCA issue for pastebin.

I'm currently moving everything off the cloud as it all could just vanish one day.

#4 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm currently moving everything off the cloud as it all could just vanish one day.

Good idea. The Internet isn't safe anymore. Not that it ever really was, but at least you didn't used to have to worry about all of your data suddenly vanishing due to some legal battle...

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#5 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Good idea. The Internet isn't safe anymore. Not that it ever really was, but at least you didn't used to have to worry about all of your data suddenly vanishing due to some legal battle...

Me and a friend got talking about this and some of the cons. For example I have an old website on forumotion that had all sorts of issues and some people lost content as the people who hold their data decided to do an upgrade without alerting forumotion which caused a lot of problems with their services for about 1-2 weeks. Exactly. It's much better to purchase some external hard drives to store your data on as you won't have all the risks that come with a provider.

#6 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, you can even store data on encrypted Flash drives and put them in a lock box at a bank for safety (or bury them in a box in the back yard if you don't trust banks).

#7 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yep. Yeah I don't trust banks, but I do got a safe. ;)

#8 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Sorry about Megaupload, they got caught up in a legal battle for not watching what folks were doing on there site....

Sorry to say this too, but the Cloud is here to stay....

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users