CHKDSK Won't RUn After Start up

Tim F.

I was attempting to give my daughter's laptop a "tune-up" since it was running a bit slow, and I followed the procedures listed in the "Slow PC? - Start Here" topic. Everything went fine until I attempted to run the defrag. I received a message stating that chkdsk needed to run first. I attempted to run chkdsk and receved a message stating "chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would youlike to scedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" I responded "Y" and restarted the laptop. Nothing happened. I was able to run a Malwarebytes scan and Symantec anti-virus scan. Can anyone help? I am running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 1501 machine. Thanks.

Please try the following. It should take at least 10 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the speed of your computer.

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

I have seen that happen on occasion.... you can try it once again and also try this:

Please do the following, use the instructions appropriate to your version of Windows:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

If no joy, would you mind telling the operating system and antivirus/internet security plus any firewall you used on the system. In addition, do you think there is any symptoms you suspected you may have malware on the system?

Please let us know how it went.

Thank you :)

Hi - As I stated on my original post, I attempted to run the chkdsk from the location that you suggested: Start/My Computer/Right click on C:...etc. When I attempted to execute that, I received the following message: "chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to scedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" I responded "Y" and restarted the laptop. Nothing happened. I was able to run a Malwarebytes scan and Symantec anti-virus scan. I am running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 1501 machine, WIndows Firewall.Thanks.

Hi, Tim F:

In addition to Firefox's excellent advice & until he returns to further assist you, and with the following disclaimers:

1) I am just a home user, not a geek; 2) I have not run XP in several years; and 3) Firefox is much more expert than I am.... :)

...I did turn up the following on a quick Google search:

Chkdsk won't run on reboot in XP

Chkdsk does not run on startup when selection is made

Unable to get chkdsk to run at boot

Perhaps one of them will have a solution for you?

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi daledoc1. Believe it or not, I did look at these articles before I submitted my problem ot this forum:

Item 1 - NA - I have a Dell laptopm not HP or Compaq and I am running XP Pro SP3.

Item 2 - NA - fsutil dirty query x: will not run on the laptop.I ran itat the cmd prompt and the DOS window flashed on and off. Nothing happened.

Item 3 - NA - I do not have Partition Magic or Diskkeeper installed, nor have I ever used the product.

I appreceiate the suggestions. Hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks.

to run the command <fsutil dirty query c:> you have to be at a command prompt window, you can not run it from the run command, thats why you got a black window that flashed on and off.

Go to start then run and type cmd and press ok that will open a command prompt window.

What version of Symantec Anti-Virus?

Hi, AdvancedSetup:

Are you thinking this might be caused by an "auto-protect at boot" option in the AV (blocking the chkdsk.exe?), as was suggested in one of those MS forum posts? (Just trying to learn, too. :) )

@ Tim F:

I'm confident that Firefox and AdvancedSetup will figure something out to help you. :)

I will defer to these experts and will follow this topic with interest.

Best Regards,

daledoc1