Hello everybody. I love your guys product, I think it and CCleaner are my two favourite computer applications!

Anyways, I was checking the "So how did I get infected in the first place" thread and it seems to reconmend a firewall. I checked out all three and Kerio seems to have "ended", and Online Armor and Outpost's free versions seem to have not been updated since last April.

So I ask the question, Is there another alternative for a good Firewall that updates frequently? Or can I just stick to Window's 7 Firewall?

Oh yeah and is this a good security load out:

MSE

Anti Malwarebytes Free (to be upgraded)

Javacool's SpywareBlaster

MVPS HOSTS

Final question. I got an Linux computer and I'm wondering, is there any other security programs I need besides Avast anti-virus?

Hi -

The Windows7 firewall is much improved over the earlier versions of Windows firewalls.

I find that this application is about as good as many other free versions in the open market.

Now I only use Windows firewall on my Win7 computer and feel very secure with it operating

I use MSE as my antivirus, and I find it also very good, and improving as it is updated -

Thank You -

As a side note (Member Buttons may help me) antivirus on most Linux systems is only minimal -

Private Firewall http://www.privatefirewall.com/ is a very powerful free firewall for Windows and includes

Windows 7, Vista & XP support

Zero-hour anti-virus protection

Zero-hour spyware protection

Zero-hour malware protection

IPv6/IPv4 packet filtering

Behavioral hacker protection

Personal Firewall

Website/IP filtering

Anti-logger module

Advanced Application Security

Advanced Reporting module

Process Security

Registry protection

System Anomaly Detection

Email Anomaly Detection

I have placed this on several systems for people along with MSE and Malwarebytes Pro, they are all very happy ( and malware free).

Windows Firewall Notifier is a little known tool for extending the Windows Firewall, this gives you control of the outbound traffic. Really simple to use and very effective, Again I have added this to systems with MSE ( or a free AV) and Malwarebytes and the protection has been excellent.

http://wokhan.online...ogs.php?sec=WFN

As noknojon says the Windows Firewall is very strong and does a good job.

Final question. I got an Linux computer and I'm wondering, is there any other security programs I need besides Avast anti-virus?

:welcome:

Personally I recommend ClamAV for antivirus and rkhunter and tiger for antirootkit detection on Linux systems. Take a look at the stickies on the ubuntu forums as they have some good articles on available programs. :)

http://ubuntuforums....splay.php?f=338

Private Firewall http://www.privatefirewall.com/ is a very powerful free firewall for Windows and includes

Windows 7, Vista & XP support

Zero-hour anti-virus protection

Zero-hour spyware protection

Zero-hour malware protection

IPv6/IPv4 packet filtering

Behavioral hacker protection

Personal Firewall

Website/IP filtering

Anti-logger module

Advanced Application Security

Advanced Reporting module

Process Security

Registry protection

System Anomaly Detection

Email Anomaly Detection

I have placed this on several systems for people along with MSE and Malwarebytes Pro, they are all very happy ( and malware free).

Windows Firewall Notifier is a little known tool for extending the Windows Firewall, this gives you control of the outbound traffic. Really simple to use and very effective, Again I have added this to systems with MSE ( or a free AV) and Malwarebytes and the protection has been excellent.

http://wokhan.online...ogs.php?sec=WFN

As noknojon says the Windows Firewall is very strong and does a good job.

noknojon,

Do you have experience with Windows FW and Private FW running with XP and dialup internet?

I am wondering if Private FW is likely to slow browsing more than Windows FW.

Also, do you have to configure MBAM Pro and Private FW so that the HIPS don't conflict when both are running in real-time?

Thanks for the help.

Also, do you have to configure MBAM Pro and Private FW so that the HIPS don't conflict when both are running in real-time?

Thanks for the help.

I used PrivateFirewall for a bit and never had an issue with MBAM and the HIPS. :) The HIPS is pretty friendly with other security software from what I've seen. :)

• 2 months later...