Fixing the problems

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is Genealogy. I also like to, and am not to bad at it, refinishing furniture which is leading me to start on trying my hand at a bit of woodworking. I love old architecture and would love to be involved in restoration of an old building before I die.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Okay, I've started this topic here. I have to say I'm so distraught over this that I don't even know where to start. I've tried to contact the person I bought this system from but to no avail as of yet. I will, however, continue trying to get in contact with them and look into all options available to me.

So what do I do now?

cassiereroni
lilpeanut

#2 D-FRED-BROWN

D-FRED-BROWN

Resident Bracketologist

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:music, computer security, computer sciences, food

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Welcome back.

First, let's try to get a legitimate copy of Windows installed on your system.

Before anything else, I advise you to back up all of your data which you wish to keep.

Once you have purchased a copy of Windows, see these instructions provided by Microsoft for how to install it on your system: http://windows.micro...g-Windows-Vista

Let me know how things go ;).
Proud graduate of SpywareInfo Bootcamp
Follow me on Twitter! @dfredbrown
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

I volunteer my free time to help you. Please consider making a donation so I can continue helping people like you.
Posted Image
Thank you!

#3 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is Genealogy. I also like to, and am not to bad at it, refinishing furniture which is leading me to start on trying my hand at a bit of woodworking. I love old architecture and would love to be involved in restoration of an old building before I die.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well, I can't afford a new copy of Windows just now. Not after just buying this computer. However, I am willing to install Ubantu instead just so I can get this copy of Windows off my computer until I can get another copy of Windows.

I am copying all my pics, files etc. to discs so that I don't lose them but there's a lot so it will take awhile.

Will installing Ubantu and taking Windows off solve the problem for now?
lilpeanut

#4 D-FRED-BROWN

D-FRED-BROWN

Resident Bracketologist

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Will installing Ubantu and taking Windows off solve the problem for now?

It should. You may even find that you like Ubuntu more. Once you obtain and install a new copy of Windows, that should remedy any of the problems that originally brought you here ;).

Make sure you've backed everything up first.

Here are the instructions for Removing Windows using Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu....ToRemoveWindows

Instructions for installung Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu....installing.html

Posted Image

I volunteer my free time to help you. Please consider making a donation so I can continue helping people like you.
Posted Image
Thank you!

#5 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Okay, as soon as I'm done with copying/backing up files I'll come back and click thru those links then contact you when I'm done.
lilpeanut

#6 D-FRED-BROWN

D-FRED-BROWN

Resident Bracketologist

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Sounds good!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Thank you!

#7 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

I've had some problems trying to install Ubantu and after looking it over and asking questions I've found that a couple of programs that I depend on will not work with it.

Sooo, I bought a WinXP Pro SP3 program and am going to install that. Yep, it's a legal program, got the COA and key and all.

But I need to know about any drivers I might need because this disk is a Dell WinXP OS. I asked the guy that I bought it from, on ebay, if it would do a full install on a computer other than Dell and he said it would.

I'm just a bit concerned because on the face of the disk it says "This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.". Since I am going to be changing video cards as well will there be a problem after I install XP with a driver for that and/or anything else?

Will be watching closely for an answer.

cassiereroni
lilpeanut

#8 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hope posting a reply twice doesn't cause any problems but I am installing a BFGR62256OC video card which is new to me and I don't have the cd or any drivers for it.

I have looked all over and have found a couple but I'm confused as to which one actually goes with this card. Can you help me out figuring out what driver I should use?

Thanks again and again, I will have my email program open so I'll know when you reply so I can get this done ASAP.

cassiereroni
lilpeanut

#9 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Assuming this card is going to be used on Windows XP SP3 they you would download This Driver from Nvidia website

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#10 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Firefox

Yes, it is going to be installed on the WinXP SP3. When I format my C: drive and install WinXP will there be a driver already there so I can see the what's happening on my computer or do I have to install it first?

Forgive me but I'm new to doing this so I want to be sure I do it right.

It took me a bit to get a disk formatted and that driver downloaded onto it. That's all I've done so far. What should be the next step?

Thanks for the help,

lilpeanut
lilpeanut

#11 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

When you install XP Fresh it will install a generic video driver and it will display a screen so you can see what you are doing. The colors will not be that great, but that will all get fixed once you install the video driver.

If I were you, I would find out what network card you have too and download the driver as well. As a matter of fact you want to get all drivers for the hardware on your computer. This would be video, network card, sound card, any modems and any other hardware you may have installed on the computer.

The two most important ones is the network card (cause you will need it to get online to download drivers and such) and the video card.

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#12 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Sorry again. Had to run to the store but I'm back now and not moving from my computer screen cause there is just to much to I need to know before I wipe out this hard drive.

Ok, my network card is a VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter. I need to get a driver for that as well? I think I already have the driver for my Rocketfish Sound card and my printer. I'll be looking for them to be sure while I wait for a reply to this message.

lilpeanut
lilpeanut

#13 D-FRED-BROWN

D-FRED-BROWN

Resident Bracketologist

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'm just a bit concerned because on the face of the disk it says "This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.". Since I am going to be changing video cards as well will there be a problem after I install XP with a driver for that and/or anything else?

Just to clarify, I believe the CD says that because Dell computers often come with a separare CD specifically for drivers... Hope that helps ;).

As for the Ethernet Adapter, it wouldn't hurt to have the driver package on hand just in case you may need it- I think this is the package you should need http://download.cnet...2_4-149765.html

Let us know how things go :).
Posted Image

Posted Image
Thank you!

#14 David H. Lipman

David H. Lipman

Forum Deity

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts
  • Interests:Malware Research, dSLR Photography, Numismatics & Surf Fishing

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

But I need to know about any drivers I might need because this disk is a Dell WinXP OS. I asked the guy that I bought it from, on ebay, if it would do a full install on a computer other than Dell and he said it would.

You can't do that legally and there can be logistical problems as the installation will read the vendor string from the BIOS.
A Dell OEM OS installation disk can ONLY be installed on a Dell computer.
David H. Lipman
DLipman@Verizon.Net

#15 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

OMG. You mean I *can't* install this copy of windows on my computer??? I was told that if you're building your own computer then you could use it.

I can't keep losing money like this. :(

Won't do anything until I hear more.

*discouraged and crying my eyes out*

lilpeanut
lilpeanut

#16 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ok, as much as I can't afford to buy *another* program I need someone to check this offer out to make sure it's what I need to take care of my problems.

It's on ebay, the sellers name is zazahubs61 and the url after I'm logged into ebay and I'm looking at it is:

http://www.ebay.com/...416741b&vxp=mtr

Please, someone, let me know asap. I really want to get this bad copy of windows off my computer!

lilpeanut
lilpeanut

#17 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

You can't do that legally and there can be logistical problems as the installation will read the vendor string from the BIOS.
A Dell OEM OS installation disk can ONLY be installed on a Dell computer.

That is correct. You will not be able to activate the product and will exerpience shutdowns every two hours and certian features of Windows will not function after the 30 day activation period. I have exeperience in this and I have used the Dell discs on Dell PC's and non Dell PC's. The non Dell pc's have all sorts of issues with installing this.

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#18 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Okay, well, what about this other Windows XP disk on ebay with the users nick and the url listed above? Is that the right one that I need??

lilpeanut
lilpeanut

#19 lilpeanut

lilpeanut

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Please, someone. Please let me know if this other WindowsXP disc is one that I can use to install the full OS, legally and completely. It's found on ebay at http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649 and if you can't get there by using that url then the sellers nick is zazahubs61

If it is an acceptable version then I'd like to order it now so I can get it as soon as possible and get this mess behind me.

Thanks for all the help ya'll,

lilpeanut
lilpeanut

#20 David H. Lipman

David H. Lipman

Forum Deity

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts
  • Interests:Malware Research, dSLR Photography, Numismatics & Surf Fishing

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

It is hard to tell from that poor picture at eBay. Usually though retail versions of the OS installation disk have that hologram looking facet.
David H. Lipman
DLipman@Verizon.Net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users