Malwarebytes & McAfee Security Center

I am currently on a free trial of Malwarebytes via the free version and want to upgrade to stay on real time. I've heard that Malwarebytes will not conflict with McAfee anti-virus, however, I have McAfee Security Center which includes anti-spyware. Will this be a problem if both are operating real time?

It should not be a problem but you may have to exclude the files below in McAfee to avoid any potential conflicts.

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Firefox,

I am on Windows 7, 64 bit. My McAfee Security Center says it has, anti-virus that includes anti-spware. It also has a firewall that is active. Although the anti-spware is part of the anti-virus, the email section also has a separate spyware feature that tells me it is available so I'm assuming that I don't have it turned on.

I ceratinly appreciate your help but I have two questions;

#1 Should I wait to see if there is a conflict, will I see something?

#2 If I exclude certain files, am I excluding them in the Malwarebytes folder/file as your suggestion appears or is that being disabled in the McAfee folder/file? Is it a right click on each file with a particular option?

Thanks very much.

fperucki

• 2 weeks later...

Similar problem here. There appears to be a serious conflict between Malwarebytes and the McAfee Security Center (the McAfee software came with my AT&T Internet service, and it is also called the "AT&T Security Suite").

I am using the Malwarebytes trial period, so it is actively running. Every time I boot my laptop it hangs for a long time, then the red Windows "shield" that indicates a security problem appears in the system tray, and then a Windows balloon pops up with a message that reads something like this: "Your computer might be at risk. McAfee Antivirus protection is turned off." After about 30 seconds, the red warning shield disappears and everything is back to normal, and that's if I am lucky. Sometimes the laptop hangs for several minutes, during which time the display is frozen even though I can move the mouse. Sometimes I simply have to hard boot the laptop.

I read the FAQ. I added exceptions to the McAfee firewall for mbamservice.exe and mbamgui.exe (mbam.exe was already on the list), but I do not see anyway at all to put those there programs (or any programs for that matter) on a virus scan exclusion list. I looked at the FAQ, but the AT&T Security Suite (by McAfee) is different from McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.

Can someone give me some advice on how to resolve this problem?

Well, I just re-installed the AT&T McAfee Security Center software on my other PC. During the installation a window popped up with the message that "incompatible software" was found: Malwarebytes Anti Malware. The McAfee installation actually offered to uninstall Malwarebytes for me! :wacko: Is this simply a case of one company trying to prevent consumers from using another company's product?

• Root Admin

Unfortunately the "AT&T Security Suite" is using a custom build of McAfee Security Center that does not include the ability to add the required exclusions. Its also an older build program as the latest new retail version of McAfee no longer blocks Malwarebytes as it used to.

It's up to you but if you wish to use the "AT&T Security Suite" or similar branded custom build of McAfee then you will not be able to use Malwarebytes as it does not provide the interface to add exclusions (not only for our product but for anyone else either).

Microsoft does offer a Free Anti-Virus product named: Microsoft Security Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

That does work quite well with Malwarebytes with very minimal exclusions.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=181018

avast! free also works with Malwarebytes

• 1 year later...

Hi Firefox...Long time, no speakie!!!

Having a problem with my laptop to which McAfee just upgraded the McAfee Security Center to Version 12.1, Build12.1.323, Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware Version 16.1, build 16.1.172, Personal Firewall Version 13.1, Build 13.1.132, McAfee Site Advisor Version 3.6, build 3.6.0.187. I'm also running WIN XP Pro, SP 3 on my Laptop, as I was on my PC when you last instructed me.

Previously, you had given me instructions for running McAfee Security Center Version 11.0 with the Malwarebytes' program.

I need to know if the instructions are the SAME as those previously given me, to enable the new Mcafee Security Center on my laptop to run simultaneously with the latest version of Malwarebytes! Here is what you told me to do previously on my PC, which worked just fine:

BEGINNING OF QUOTE:

McAfee Total Protection 2011

"Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011 on 32 bit Windows Versions:

Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.

Click on Firewall located under Features.

Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.

Click the Add button and then click browser.

Add the following files to the firewall with full access:

Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Click OK

Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab

Click the Add button on the lower left

In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.

Click the Add button on the lower left

In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.

Note: For 64 bit Windows versions these folders will be in C:\Program Files (x86)

Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"

END OF QUOTE

Also, the McAfee people uninstalled Malwarebytes, in order to install the above noted latest version of McAfee, which you should know. I have not reinstalled Malwarebytes yet, and don't have the latest version of it to install, only my older version which I'm sure will update to the latest version once installed.

I note that although the McAfee tech uninstalled Malwarebytes, there are still many files and folders for it left behind under "Program File/ Malwarebytes" in Windows Explorer.

Should I use mbam-clean.exe to get rid of these Malwarebytes files and folders left behind, before re-installing the Malwarebytes program?

Just want to be sure to get Malwarebytes re-installed properly and re-configured concurrently with my new McAfee program, so I don't get into any trouble! Can you give instructions as before, if they've changed?

If you can, it would be so very much appreciated!

Many thanx,

Lida :)

Howdy Lida... It is common for antivirus companies to have your remove Malwarebytes in order to get their product installed. The do it to avoid possible conflicts for problems. They want to do things the easy way.....

I do not currently have the latest version of McAfee that you mentioned so I am not sure if the instructions are the same. If he did an upgrade to the old one you had, it is possible that it carried over the exceptions.

Do not run the mbam-clean tool cause that will remove your logs, and registration info.

If I were you, I would simply download the latest version of Malwarebytes from HEREand the reboot the computer to see if they run together. Worst case that can happen is it would lock up the system, but we would be able to boot to safe mode and fix that.

If a conflict is found, you can contact support and they will help you resolve the conflict. You can contact consumer support HERE.

Yes you could simply use the same instructions and see if they would work.

As for locking up the system, if that were to happen you would simply boot the computer to safe mode and then open Malwarebytes and then go to the protection tab and uncheck Start Protection module when windows starts and then you would be able to boot back to windows normally.

Yes you could simply use the same instructions and see if they would work.

As for locking up the system, if that were to happen you would simply boot the computer to safe mode and then open Malwarebytes and then go to the protection tab and uncheck Start Protection module when windows starts and then you would be able to boot back to windows normally.

What would I do after these "locking-up" steps, Firefox, uninstall Malwarebytes? I'm not used to working in safe mode, and don't even know what the "Protection Module" is, or what it does or undoes, (lol)! Can you expound?

Thanx,

Lida

LOL, Lida if your computer locks up, simply reboot the computer and as the computer is booting up, before windows starts to load, keep tapping the F8 key and it will give you a boot menu, you will then use the arrow keys on your keyboard and go down to Safe Mode with Networking. This will allow the computer to boot up to windows (with only default drivers) in safe mode and be able to surf the internet if needed.

When you are in safe mode, you can then open up Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Program. Once the program is loaded, click on the Protection Tab, then in the tab simply uncheck the option Start protection with Windows. The exit the program reboot the computer normally and you will no longer be locking up.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, Lida if your computer locks up, simply reboot the computer and as the computer is booting up, before windows starts to load, keep tapping the F8 key and it will give you a boot menu, you will then use the arrow keys on your keyboard and go down to Safe Mode with Networking. This will allow the computer to boot up to windows (with only default drivers) in safe mode and be able to surf the internet if needed.

When you are in safe mode, you can then open up Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Program. Once the program is loaded, click on the Protection Tab, then in the tab simply uncheck the option Start protection with Windows. The exit the program reboot the computer normally and you will no longer be locking up.

Thanks, Firefox, but I never set Malwarebytes to load at bootup, but this is very good info should I ever decide to do so. I'm going to try reinstalling it on my laptop and using the same procedure you advised me to use before, that worked so well on this PC, and I will report back to the forum if it works with the new McAfee version. If not, I guess the easiest thing to do is to just uninstall Malwarebytes from the laptop if it crashes it. Correct me if I'm wrong... Thanx so much, Lida :-)