#1 Chiron

Chiron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Hello, I got a comment on my article here:
https://www.techsupp...ed-computer.htm
which said that Malwarebytes used temp files in its analysis of an infected computer and would therefore be less effective if I used CCleaner to clean the temp files before cleaning an infected computer, as I had been recommending in my article. However, they couldn't point me to where they had found this information.

I was wondering if this is true and, if it is, then why would this make a difference?

Thanks.

#2 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,550 posts
  • Interests:Security, Windows, Windows Update, malware prevention

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hello Chiron,

The way you phrased your initial question leaves me a bit over-confused.
In any event, due to recent super-nasty malwares (like SMART HDD as 1 example) that move & hide shortcuts to Windows startup programs, menus, etc to temp-files-area
it has become the practice of late to NOT empty out temporary-files. We skip that old practice and we usually ask for a good report from DDS or similar tools for review first.

If temporary files are deleted way too early-on, then in cases like SMART HDD, the user will not easily recover their shortcuts.
Maurice Naggar
Product Support

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

I close my threads if there is 5 days without a response.

#3 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hello and :welcome:

I do not recommend running any temp file cleaners like CCleaner until the computer has been fully cleaned of any infection that may be on the computer. Some Malwares are known to hide folders and move start menu items to temp folders. If you run temp file cleaners before starting the removal of the infection and you are infected with one that moved your start menu items, you will end up deleting those items. This will make it harder to clean the computer and get it restored back to working order.

Temp files cleaners should be run as the very last step, but only after you are sure you are finished with the cleanup process.

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 Chiron

Chiron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thank you. I'll change my advice to not clean the temp folders. I think that's probably what the comment was actually about.

Thanks.

#5 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Your welcome, and should you have any other questions or comments don't hesitate to ask... :)

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users