• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ellenelle

ellenelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I did a scan last night that gave a false result I'd like to report.

I have gradually been turning off unnecesssary services on my XP SP3 computer. I had turned off Cryptograhic Services yesterday. The scan log showed that I had some sort malware called something like Disabled.Cryptsvc virus. I turned the service back on to check and scanned again, and there was no "virus" reported. So it seems the scan is reprting based on a revice's being turned off rather than finding some sort of virus.

Ellen

#2 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Greetings :)

That is correct. First off, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not a virus scanner in the typical sense, it is an anti-malware software. One of the many things that we check a system for are changes which might be considered malicious, particularly when those changes are often made by infections.

In this particular case, the Cryptographic Services service was disabled. This is something that infections will frequently do, so Malwarebytes Anti-Malware flagged it as a detection when you had it disabled.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 shadowwar

shadowwar

Forum Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

As this is not common and something you set on your own. You can simply add it to the ignore list if this is what you want to do. Btw thats not a service i would recommend disabling. It will break a lot of windows components if its disabled.
Rich Matteo
Research Engineer

staff.png

#4 nosirrah

nosirrah

Forum Deity

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

FYI turning off crypto will disable windows updates and your system's ability to replace corrupt system files with correct versions. Both of these tricks are used by malware to make a system easier to compromise and keep it compromised. This is why we correct the problem.
Bruce Harrison
Vice President of Research

Posted Image

#5 DEB57

DEB57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Malwarebytes Deleted.Cryptsvc. Content in webpages not appearing. What can I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users