16 replies to this topic

#1 fivealive

fivealive

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

so iv had my laptop now for a few months(since December) and iv yet to once clean the screen im afraid to ruin it im not sure what to use to safely clean it. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advanced.

#2 CWB

CWB

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

i use "windex" and a soft cotton cloth (old diapers work great , but try to find a cotton diaper these days) .
have the cloth at the ready and the screen tilted back ...
lightly spritz across the top of the screen and gently clean using a circular motion .
you can catch any runs before they make it to the bottom .

common mistakes are :
using cheap-arsed paper towels (abrasive)
"flooding" with too much windex (you can always clean it twice)

after you do this a couple of times , it becomes a snap .
you can also dampen a cloth with windex and follow with a dry cloth .

man , you would not believe the crudded up screens i have seen/cleaned over the years ...
televisions (direct view and projection + optics) / monitors (crt and lcd) / laptop screens .
some are/were absolutely plumb nasty !
i would bet that some others here have "horror stories" to tell as well .

#3 fivealive

fivealive

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Well I don't smoke thankfully but others in the house do so even tho my room is "smoke free" I know it is probly got smoke guck on it. Oh and would a cloth that's ment to clean dust work its super soft also reminds me I don't think I have windex

#4 CWB

CWB

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

a "dusting cloth" is a no-no .
these usually contain oils and waxes ... they smear and leave a coating/film behind that actually attracts/hangs onto dust and what-have-you .
there are plenty of other aerosols in the air besides ciggy smoke .
i can tell when a comp or laptop is used in a kitchen area ... the greasy film and aroma that is left behind .
(heh ... and so it goes with electronic gear used in different places)

#5 fivealive

fivealive

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks glad I asked one of the reasons I havt cleaned is I just don't know

#6 CWB

CWB

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

you can use old washcloths and hand towels too .
make sure that they are clean and have not been washed with any "fabric softeners" or those damnable "softener sheets" that are used in the dryer .
a brand of paper towel that can be used is "brawny" ... i bought them by the case for use at the shop .

#7 fivealive

fivealive

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Ah alright ill look for that paper towel in a few days when I get money again thank you for the advice

#8 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,011 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'd recommend warm water, though VERY little, just enough to get the cloth damp, not wet, and I'd recomment a soft cloth, like the type used to clean eyeglasses to avoid scratches.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#9 Guest_Seagull_*

Guest_Seagull_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I would not use Windex as Windex is designed for glass and most LCD TV's now a days and laptop screens aren't glass, you will streak the heck out of it and possibly ruin it.

I personally recommend buying some LCD screen cleaner, I purchased the Monster ScreenClean which is designed for LCD screens and it comes with a microfiber towel.

A microfiber towel will not scratch your LCD screen. I bought myself this Monster Screen cleaner and have been using it since I own my laptop and my big screen TV and it does

a very good job, my LCD screen on my laptop and my LED/LCD TV screen are like a mirror with no streaks.

I hope this helps. :)

#10 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,011 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I would not use Windex as Windex is designed for glass and most LCD TV's now a days and laptop screens aren't glass, you will streak the heck out of it and possibly ruin it.

I personally recommend buying some LCD screen cleaner, I purchased the Monster ScreenClean which is designed for LCD screens and it comes with a microfiber towel.

A microfiber towel will not scratch your LCD screen. I bought myself this Monster Screen cleaner and have been using it since I own my laptop and my big screen TV and it does

a very good job, my LCD screen on my laptop and my LED/LCD TV screen are like a mirror with no streaks.

I hope this helps. :)

Yep, I think you nailed it :).

Water works, but LCD screen cleaner is even better (it's saline as I recall, which is the same solution used for cleaning contact lenses and glasses) and a microfiber cloth is exactly what's used for cleaning glasses :).
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#11 fivealive

fivealive

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

aah alright ill keep that in mind when i get money in a few days. i know that i cant use anything with alcohol in it since it eats away at the screen (or so iv heard no clue if its actually true)

but thanks

#12 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

I normally wipe it down with a lightly damped rag and use a microfiber cloth to get all hair(me and my dog are shedders :P) , dust and what not off. :)

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#13 CWB

CWB

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

"I would not use Windex as Windex is designed for glass and most LCD TV's now a days and laptop screens aren't glass, you will streak the heck out of it and possibly ruin it."

really ?

i have been using "windex" on all manner of screens for close to 40 years with no problems .
it also works great on plexiglas windows .
a major problem is abrasive "towels" of any type . these will leave fine scratches in the surface .
a "dirty" towel , one that contains small amounts of "dirt" that cannot be seen by eyeball is to be avoided .
(i keep all my screen cleaning cloths separated from the other towels after i wash them out)

do not use "rubbing alcohol" (or similar fluids) on screens ... this stuff does have the extreme possibility of damaging the coatings on some screens .
do not use "household cleaners" (ie : 409 / tub and tile cleaners / bleaching-disinfecting solutions , etc .) .

some of you here may recall the old "microfiche" projection readers ...
some of these had a "frosted" glass screen that was not a truly etched surface ; it was a coating .
we had such a machine in a shop i worked for . one of the techs decided to clean it ...
he used rubbing alcohol on it ... the "frosting" dissolved and a piece of clear plexiglas was left behind .
man , he was surprised !
(i suspect that it was a "cheap" screen and used a salt of some type .)

the screen surfaces on modern equipment are much more durable .
they are designed with the idea in mind that "joe consumer" is going to clean them with (a) commonly available product(s) .
the users manual often outlines a safe cleaning procedure .

#14 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Never had issues with Windex myself either, the key is using a soft cloth not to scratch the surface, and I spray the rag not the screen.

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#15 Guest_Seagull_*

Guest_Seagull_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Everyone I know that ever used Windex on a LCD screen it streaked the heck out of it. After using Windex and cleaning your screen, keep the TV off and get a flash light and shine it at the TV, there's a good chance you will see streaks.

I just personally like to use something that is designed for use for a specific purpose. I just looked on the back of my Windex bottle and it has a list that says "Used for" and

LCD screens wasn't one of them. I am not saying it will not work but I rather not take the chance. Thats just my two cents.

#16 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

I use ROGGE TFT / LCD Cleaner and the small 125ml bottle has lasted for years -

It is good for the computer screens and also the Television screens - Comes with an anti-static cleaner cloth -
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#17 Arnold72

Arnold72

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

its a wonder laptop manufacturers have not devised a way to take the screen outer cover off.it would make life so much easier and there is nothing more annoying than seeing marks on your laptop screen.Im a bit of a perfectionist and i want things to glean brightly lol.
Regards. :)

Avast 8 free av..||Comodo Firewall V5.12.||MBAM Free Version.||Sandboxie.||

R.I.P. Mr Jay "padre" Miner.(May 31, 1932 – June 20, 1994).
Thank You for the Amiga Computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users