#1 Quikfix

Quikfix

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:--Contents Hidden--

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

It would be amazing if the mBAM team could include a link/url scanner in mBAM PRO. This would be a great addition because it would reassure people that the website they are traveling to is safe and reliabe. The link scanner could be on the user interface and a new tab could be made for it. It could kind of resemble the Norton URL scanner. But of course, whatever mBAM does, it does better, so there could be some unique changes but the overall design could come from the Norton URL scanner. :)

#2 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,015 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion :)

We might do something like that in the future, but currently our malicious website blocking mechanism is much more important for me. It's something unique to our product, and there's plenty of URL scanners out there already (Norton, McAfee, Web of Trust, AVG etc., not to mention the capabilities built into newer versions of Internet Explorer).
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

I cannot speak for Malwarebytes and their plans on this matter or not, but there is a website dedicated to helping this cause:
http://www.longurl.org/

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#4 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

There's dozens of sites and tools out there that offer this such as the ones Exile and MT provided as well as others like Virus Total, Url Void, wepawet, Trend Protect etc. The ip blocking feature of Malwarebytes Pro is especially powerful so I don't believe you would get much benefit out of a url scanner/blocker.

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#5 Quikfix

Quikfix

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:--Contents Hidden--

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

Yes, I guess. I just thought it would be a cool new feature. I don't trust VirusTotal with URL scanning after it said that "cursormania" has a 41:1 chance of being clean. That's absurd because everyone knows that cursormania gives people horrible viruses which eventually make their systems unusuable. All the big-time antivirus suites (including Bitdefender, Kaspersky, avast!, and Trend Micro) found it clean. That is what makes me uneasy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users