Photo

Is Winzip Driver Updater Malware? Spyware? Really good?

Driver updater scan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jim6149

jim6149

• Unused Accounts
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

Anyone had experience of the Winzip Driver Updater? I just noticed it on a PC in my home which is used by everyone, not sure how it got there or if it is malign nagware, sales scam or a nasty malware? No-one will admit to dowloading it...they fear the wrath of Daddy, who is the mug that cleans up the messes.

#2 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,245 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

Difficult to say without more information. But by name alone it appears to be legit.

http://www.winzip.com/win/en/driver-updater.htm

https://store.winzip.com/852/purl-wzhome_dumn

WinZip Driver Updater is a powerful utility that makes the task of managing your PC's device driver updates quick and easy!

• Instantly scans your PC for out-of-date drivers on a regular basis
  • Locates and downloads device drivers for you
  • Automatically creates a backup of your original driver system before making any changes

I'm not familiar with it myself but seems to be similar to Secunia Personal Software Inspector
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

So it sounds like it's legit but you may want to update Malwarebytes and do a Quick Scan as well as a Scan with your Anti-Virus just to make sure.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 jim6149

jim6149

• Unused Accounts
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

Sound advice - thanks

#4 stephen_schachter

stephen_schachter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

It this paranoid?:

Driver updater programs (eg. WinZip driver updater) finds lots of outdated drivers while in the scan only mode. Then, when you purchase the program, the new drivers are "found" immediately, and no new drivers are needed again for a long time. Or worse, when the program is purchased, all drivers are miraculously up to date. I come to this conclusion because when running WinZip driver free scan version updater, it sometimes finds no drivers out of date, and sometimes finds 22 drivers out of date. It makes me suspicous. When I contacted their tech support, the only answer I got was to buy the program!!?

This could be the case with MalwareBytes malware finder as well I guess. Why buy a program that looks for bad stuff if it never finds anything? These guys couldn't all be that bad could they?

#5 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

:welcome:

My personal experience is to stay away from driver updating software. The problem with these are that they often provide inaccurate information on your drivers and could potentially cause serious issues with your pc if you install an incorrect driver. The best place to get updated drivers is from your manufacture.

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#6 0s1r1s

0s1r1s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

[quote name='jim6149' timestamp='1337319892' post='552523']
Anyone had experience of the Winzip Driver Updater? I just noticed it on a PC in my home which is used by everyone, not sure how it got there or if it is malign nagware, sales scam or a nasty malware? No-one will admit to dowloading it...they fear the wrath of Daddy, who is the mug that cleans up the messes.
[/quote]

It loads even if the startup group items have been disabled - classic crapware. Anything downloaded off download.com or cnet.com should now be considered dodgy in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users