Free Antivirus Recommendations

screen317

• Staff

--The following is my personal opinion and not the endorsement of Malwarebytes--

This question has been asked many, many times in this forum in some form or another:

What's the best free antivirus program to use?

It is really dangerous to go online without an antivirus. Without one, you are extremely likely to get infected. I can't tell you which one is the best because determining that is generally not feasible; however, I can give you my strong recommendations for programs that I have tested and that I trust. All of the following are excellent free (not free trials of) antiviruses. Be sure to only install one.

AntiVir
avast!
AVG

Remember that MBAM is not a substitute for your antivirus and is designed to complement it! If ever you have issues with MBAM and your antivirus conflicting, please post in this forum and we will do our best to help.

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Here is some information you may find helpful. Though Microsoft is a decent good, free AV it is certainly not on the top of the list for the latest threats.

Interesting (at least to me) is how well Malwarebytes does when we do not have Anti-Virus/HIPS or Firewall in our product yet we're doing almost as well as those that do on 0 day threats.

The purpose of MRG Effitas Flash flash tests is to assess how security applications react to zero day – early life threats. In our experience, the vast majority of ITW infections are caused by malware less than a week old, even though these make up a small proportion of the total population.

MRG Effitas Flash Test Project 2012