Any Malwarebytes versus Norton 360 v6 Issues?

Hi all

First post.

I'm running an HP Dv7-4029TX (nobody laugh please).

It crashes mostly because it just feels like it at any given moment. In the days when I believed there was rhyme or reason to this, I uninstalled MWB meaning to reinstall it when I'd researched what steps I needed to take to run it comfortably with Norton 360 v6.

I'm now at that stage. Any advice, please, re exclusion measures etc?

Thanks

ausgumbie

Brisbane, Australia

Hello ausgumbie and welcome to MalwareBytes forums.

See http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=215158 for setting trust settings.

What does "crash" mean? Do you see a STOP exception code? If so, document and tell us what it is.

Does "crash" mean that Windows restarts? What is being run when "crash" happens?

Hi Maurice

Thanks for the link!

Crashing? Two types. Overheating, the computer shuts itself off and (sometimes) restarts. You get a DOS alert on the restarts that you've just been shut down due to overheating. I assume this is HP software rather than Windows 7. Second type, BSD. I thought these were linked to a troublesome AVG update in Feb 2012 which had apparently caused a bit of grief. (I changed to 360 from AVG on comparing reviews of AVG 2012 and 360). But, the crashes have kept on going and I looked for something else.

Having a BSD occur when I was re-installing MWB (I had returned my laptop to factory settings at the end of June - what fun!) made me research MWB and I came across some forum discussions of exclusion settings being necessary to allow MWB to run happily with other security ware. As to what's running at the time, you have me. I have been keeping a log haphazardly since buying the Dv7 but more rigotrously since 29th June this year. I've been obliged with numerous BSDs but I need the leisure to go through my log and see what was going on around them.

Cheers and thanks again

ausgumbie

You must cure the hardware overheating issue....as a high, first priority. Otherwise your unit will become nearly useless.

If you touch the case and can feel the heat, it's past time to shutdown.

If this is a notebook, and if this is just a situation of not enough air circulating.....get "a notebook cooler", such as one by Targus.

On BSOD (blue screen of death), you must document the STOP code and description.

BSOD are often caused by driver conflicts, most usually with some startup applications.

My guess is that none of these are related to MBAM. Your base issue is the hardware overheating.

• Staff

Completely agree regarding prioritizing the overheating issue. I'm almost certain that your fans are clogged to the point of not being able to function. Turn off and unplug your computer, then open the case and take a look around.

Edited by Mainard
fixed typo