• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TFerguson

TFerguson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

This morning after starting up my laptop (Windows 7-64 bit, Avira AntiVir, Malwarebytes, Windows Firewall), the chevrons that normally show to the right of search results on Google have vanished. I use Firefox (14.1) normally, but the issue replicates with IE9.

I posted over on the forum for malware help, but I don't think this is a malware issue.

The only changes I have made to my computer recently were:

Obtained newest version of Flash issued a couple of days ago.
Ran the Microsoft Fixit to disable sidebar/gadgets
Installed July's Microsoft updates

All other browser plugins I use (Java and Shockwave) are up to date.

I noticed that Fanboy's filter list for AdBlock plus had updated yesterday, so I disabled the add on, emptied the browser cache and rebooted, no success.

Next step was to remove my HOSTS file. When accessing, I noticed it said it had been modified on August 13th. I had not accessed it, but again, I did install a batch of Windows updates at that time (missed July updates). Even so, nothing looked funny when viewing it with notepad, but again, I deleted it, ran TFC, rebooted, checked Google again...no chevrons. I have subsequently reinstalled the HOSTS file.

Does anyone have any ideas why this feature suddenly isn't working for me anymore? I have made no changes to Firefox's settings.

Thanks.

#2 ioni

ioni

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi

Could it be issue related to Google toolbar?

Well you can try go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search-tools/ grab some search tools.
Ken Ricks Ion

#3 TFerguson

TFerguson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks, but I avoid toolbars like the plague.

I eventually resolved it via trial and error, or hope I have resolved it anyway. I toggled Google's instant Results feature on and off, rebooting after each reset and the last time it was enabled, it "took". The chevrons are back.

#4 ioni

ioni

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi you are welcome! Can you provide a screenshot ?
Ken Ricks Ion

#5 TFerguson

TFerguson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

A screenshot of what?

#6 TFerguson

TFerguson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Sorry...the issue was resolved by toggling Google's instant result search features off, clearing cache, rebooting, then toggling it back on. It was originally on, so I have no idea what corrupted it, if anything, but it was definitely a Google feature that was causing the issue. Fixed now, thanks.

#7 ioni

ioni

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

I am glad to hear that! You are most welcomed.
Ken Ricks Ion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users