Protection disabled in 1.65

Hi, I got the update to 1.65 (Pro) last night. It seemed to be OK last night, but this morning the icon was disabled on bootup and the protection module could not be enabled. It did run updates and let me do a flash scan, but this isn't good.

I ran dds and the logs are attached. I no longer have the text for my key, and if I can recover it, that would be wonderful. So, before I do mbam-clean, is there anything else to do?

For what it's worth, this is Win XP, SP3.

dds.txt

attach.txt

• Root Admin

Please do not delete any keys. That is well intended but invalid advice.

Initially just reboot the computer. If that does not work then launch the program. Open the protection tab and if they're not enabled make sure you have "Start protection module with Windows" checked and both protection modules enabled. On slower computers you may need to wait up to 10 seconds or more after clicking each of the modules until it loads, please be patient as it is a live change not just a check mark.

Then reboot the computer again and it should come up okay.

Admin: I tried your procedure with no particular luck. Started with a cold boot (I'm on dialup, and the computer is off when not in use), and mbam started, (Start with Windows is checked) but in protection disabled mode. Tried the click, and waited 60 to 90 seconds. Task manager indicates "something" is happening (CPU usage blips up a bit, but no additional memory gets committed.) The program looks like it sees the click (mouseover, the button goes tan, click and it goes clear on mouse-down.) Beyond that, nothing.

I can run the scanner, get updates, but no protection module.

It's an older P4 (1.6GHz), running XP SP3. I have a call-alert software in it, which is probably the only odd thing in place. See the logs in my first post.

I lost the email for the keys, but if I have to uninstall/reload/reinstall, that's OK. If I can save the activation keys, so much the better.

• Root Admin

Hello RedCountyPete,

Can I get an mbam-check log from you?

Please post an mbam-check log:

Create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, or, if you prefer, you may attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post instead

Then,

Can you also upload your 3 most recent Protection module logs?

In Windows XP, these logs are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

In Windows Vista/7, these logs are located in: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Thank you.

OK, here's the data (mbam-check performed after a cold boot). I loaded 1.65 as part of the automatic update the evening of the 10th. As it turns out, I got halfway, had to stop the load (bandwidth problems) then re-ran the update.

Behavior was normal prior to the update. (Maybe one instance in those three days time, it tried a 7M full database update while I was doing other updates. I stopped that one and got back to incremental updates. Don't recall the date that happened. It's happened before, with no problems.)

CheckResults.txt

protection-log-2012-09-08.txt

protection-log-2012-09-09.txt

protection-log-2012-09-10.txt

• Root Admin

I'm not seeing something specific right off hand that would stop it from launching.

Please open REGEDIT.EXE and browse to this location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then COPY (don't write down) both the ID and KEY and save them to a safe location.

Next go ahead and do the following and let us know if this corrects the issue for you or not.

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
      You can also look up your ID and Key from the Registry and copy and paste it to a Notepad document before running the mbam-clean utility.
      Location for Windows x86

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Location for Windows x64

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

If you no longer have access to your order number or have trouble accessing it from the Registry you can contact Cleverbridge to obtain information about your order and registration information.

Cleverbridge customer service

https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/?scope=cuseco

Thanks for the help.

OK, will give this a try. In XP's Regedit, it won't let me copy the information for ID or Key (or any other values), so I'm having to go with the write-it-once, verify thrice routine. If it bombs, I'll buy a fresh key.

So far, so good. Cleaned off. Fresh program is 10M at 3.5Kb a second. Will post full results in the morning. I hate dialup!

In another topic there is a solution that worked for me. Make sure in Services that Terminal Services is not disabled, and if so, set it to automatic and then reboot computer.

Hi, mrbarty: :)

Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

The problem -- and therefore, the solution -- is not the same for everyone experiencing updating issues.

So, the Terminal Services fix will not apply to all users.

So, in order to minimize confusion for the forum newcomers, it would be best not to cross-post in topics started by other members.

It will also help the experts to more efficiently assist the other members.

(And, in this particular case, the OP is already being helped by the forum Admin, AdvancedSetup. :) )

Thanks very, very much for your offer to help and for your patience and understanding, :)

daledoc1

Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

The problem -- and therefore, the solution -- is not the same for everyone experiencing updating issues.

So, the Terminal Services fix will not apply to all users.

So, in order to minimize confusion for the forum newcomers, it would be best not to cross-post in topics started by other members.

It will also help the experts to more efficiently assist the other members.

Thanks very, very much for your offer to help and for your patience and understanding, :)

daledoc1

Seeing as RedCountyPete's initial post in this topic exactly matches the problems of a couple of other current topics here, namely that the 1.65 update has totally messed with people's Malwarebytes and that the symptoms of there being no icon and that protection cannot be enabled are identical, I saw no harm in dropping the suggestion into this topic of what worked for me.

I only had the motives of helpfulness and efficiency in mind when I did so.

I do take note of your admonition though.

I only had the motives of helpfulness and efficiency in mind when I did so.

I do take note of your admonition though.

Indeed!

Many of these descriptions do sound like the exact same problem.

"Under the hood", though, many of these rigs are turning out to have different issues.

It requires a bit of a "surgical" approach.

Having said that, please don't take offense.

As you likely noticed, the forum has been very busy,.

So, it's not an admonition, it's just a polite request to limit the post volume a bit, so that the MBAM staffers can efficiently assist those who need help. :)

EDIT: Since the forum Admin, AdvancedSetup, is helping the OP, it would be best if he stick with that expert help. :)

I'm just a home user and forum volunteer, too. :)

Thank you for your kindness, :)

daledoc1

OK, final (I hope!) update. I did the mbam-clean last night, and downloaded the program this morning. (Did I mention I hate dialup?) The program launched fine, with the protection module starting. (For what it's worth, it takes several seconds for it to come up in protected mode on my machine. I wonder if there's a hangup causing this problem...) I entered the product ID and key and activated the program as licensed Pro. Somewhere I did a quick scan on the old database. Did a cold boot, downloaded the updated database, did another cold boot and all is well. It's now doing the full scan.

Many thanks to the support staff and volunteers!

Pete

Great news, Pete! :)

Thanks for the update.

Feel free to post back at any time, if you need additional help.

-->>Newcomers reading this post: please start your own topic. Thanks! :)

Best regards,

daledoc1

PS The good news, Pete, is that with MBAM PRO, your database updates are now incremental. So, that should save you some bandwidth. If you go 3 or 4 days without updating, though, you will get the "whole" database.