25 replies to this topic

#21 sho-dan

sho-dan

कैंसर योद्धा

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I been homebound for a year+ due to medical and my wife runs a tight ship about me getting the right nutrients, proteins; the right solid food etc and don't forget the Flu shot.
Back in the days of ways, I would get sumpin, sumpin from the OTC and shoot back 2 JDs to boot.
Today its bit completed with new flu,virus strains in the fight. Keeping the proper diet these days is tough due to very busy/hectic schedules/ stress and lifestyles. Slow down, the one thing I've learn 30yrs of construction is to avoid heated or hot rooms/trailers if possible when someone is sick, its a good dish in getting sick yourself

#22 gerardwil

gerardwil

True Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

I got a anti-flu shot every year over the past three years. However in my life I got only once the flu.
Gerard

#23 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

To my knowledge, I've never had the flu (and I'm hoping I don't get it this year). Also, to my knowledge, I've never had a flu shot.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#24 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Today its bit completed with new flu,virus strains in the fight. Keeping the proper diet these days is tough due to very busy/hectic schedules/ stress and lifestyles. Slow down, the one thing I've learn 30yrs of construction is to avoid heated or hot rooms/trailers if possible when someone is sick, its a good dish in getting sick yourself

Doing the best that we can under our own personal circumstances is all we can do to keep ourselves from getting sick. :)

Avoiding germ hotspots, when possible, is also a good way to minimize your risk of getting sick. :)

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#25 daledoc1

daledoc1

Forum Deity

• Spam Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,884 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

For the record, influenza can be a serious, even fatal, disease.
This year's seasonal flu has been extremely widespread & severe.
There have been many deaths, including in children.
I have been receiving frequent updates from the CDC and from my state and local health departments about it.

I agree with screen317's observations here:

To everyone worried about the flu, some of the tips in that link were fine, like getting the flu shot, washing your hands often, and getting enough sleep. but the research behind a lot of others on the list is not convincing at all. http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=632150

There is a lot of misinformation in cyberspace & in the media -- at both extremes, both downplaying the risk and creating "FUD", not only about the flu, but also about the flu vaccine.

So, please consider the following credible sources for accurate & timely information, especially regarding the importance of vaccination for high-risk individuals:
http://www.flu.gov/
http://www.cdc.gov/f...es/fluactivity/
http://www.cdc.gov/F...Risk/index.html
Influenza Prevention Update - Examining Common Arguments Against Influenza Vaccination

Stay well,

daledoc1 (No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;))

PS As this is a computer forum, not WebMD, this will be my only post in this topic. As a healthcare provider, however, I want to provide a reliable source for information about this very serious illness.

Just a home user & forum volunteer
DT1: Win7/Ult/64 SP1; Intel Core i7-3770 @3.4 GHz; 16 GB RAM; NVidia GeForce GT620; IE9; Fx; TB; Cable HSI; MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300; KIS2014; SAS Free; CCleaner
DT2: Win7 Ult/64 SP1; Intel Core i7-860 @2.8 GHz; 8 GB RAM; ATI Radeon HD 5770; IE 9, Fx; TB; Cable HSI; MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300; KIS2014; SAS Free; CCleaner.
LT: Win7 Pro/64 SP1; Intel Core i7-3632 cached @3.2 GHz; 16 GB RAM; NVidia GeForce GT640M; IE 10; Fx; TB; WLAN; MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300; Sophos ES 10.3; SAS Free; CCleaner.

#26 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thank you DaleDoc :)

I know it can be a deadly disease :( It's awful how quickly it spreads and how badly it affects people. It is going around in the town where I work actually and nearby, as I am sure it is for many other people. :(

Without getting too much into it, I don't really want to get a flu shot. I've done a lot of research and personal thinking and at this point in my life, I don't really want to have it.

I know it's important for many people to have though, and I have no problem with that of course. I just personally do not want to get it right now. I have no problem with other vaccines and shots though. I also am rarely around young children, which is good, since even if I didn't have it, I could pass it on. If I feel even slightly run down, I avoid visiting with those who may be more susceptible to illness than myself.

And thank you for all the information :)

One thing that really drives me nuts is people coughing/sneezing into their hands. Most of my coworkers do this to some degree. Yick. How hard is it to cough/sneeze into your elbow or shirt collar? I never cough into my hands, ever!

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users