Photo

The end of strong password-only security..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ShyWriter

ShyWriter

The pencil is mightier than the bite..

• Software Updaters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,510 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

The end of strong password-only security

Posted on 18 January 2013.

Posted Image

More than 90% of user-generated passwords will be vulnerable to hacking in a matter of seconds, according to Deloitte's Canadian Technology, Media & Telecommunications (TMT) Predictions 2013 report.

"Passwords containing at least eight characters, one number, mixed-case letters and non-alphanumeric symbols were once believed to be robust. But these can be easily cracked with the emergence of advance hardware and software," said Duncan Stewart, Director of Research, Deloitte Canada and co-author of TMT Predictions 2013.

"A machine running readily available virtualization software and high-powered graphics processing units can crack any eight-character password in about five hours." (More...)

Rest of the article at: http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=14258

Steve

#2 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hi Shy -
This is why I am now using several minimum 10 to 14 character mixed passwords -
I need to keep them on a few printed sheets so they don't get mixed up and are not stored on-line always.

Seven or eight characters are rarely used these days for this reason.
I needed 1 hour to find my basic Wifi password and found it was 14 characters plus a login of 8 characters after that.
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#3 ShyWriter

ShyWriter

The pencil is mightier than the bite..

• Software Updaters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,510 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi Shy -
This is why I am now using several minimum 10 to 14 character mixed passwords -
I need to keep them on a few printed sheets so they don't get mixed up and are not stored on-line always.
[...]
Seven or eight characters are rarely used these days for this reason.
I needed 1 hour to find my basic Wifi password and found it was 14 characters plus a login of 8 characters after that.

You and me both John.. Just don't make a typo or you might wind up like these kind of users:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=121426&view=findpost&p=637463

*grin*
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users