71 replies to this topic

#41 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Could you please elaborate this statement?

I am sure you are aware that several “experts” disagree with you. Can you convince me that I without danger can run MB PRO together with NIS?

Certainly. Antivirus software scans items on access, meaning whenever a file is created or modified on disk. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's realtime protection does not do that. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro only scans processes on execution (i.e. when they attempt to enter memory) which is well after an antivirus has already analyzed the file. This is how we avoid conflicts because the only way that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will even see a threat is if it already got past your antivirus undetected. This makes it impossible for your antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's realtime protection to detect an object at the same time, thus eliminating the possibility for a conflict to occur.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#42 John_Dissident

John_Dissident

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Your reply is highly appreciated. I am a “non-expert” with 30 years in front of the keyboard. I am retired now, but I cannot think of a day without my computer. Internet is a new world, but brings us some draw-backs... We really want to avoid the malwares.

Your explanation of “on access” and “on execution” is understandable, but does not both Norton and Kaspersky have “on execution features”?

Quote from Kaspersky:
Potential threats are monitored and analysed – in real-time – and dangerous actions are completely blocked before they can cause any harm.
In addition to scanning for vulnerabilities, Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 analyses and controls the actions of programs that have vulnerabilities – so they can’t cause any harm.

Quote from Norton:
Viruses and other security threats can be detected during a manual or scheduled scan. Auto-Protect detects these threats when you perform an action with an infected file. Threats can also appear during an instant messenger session, when you send an email message, or during a manual or scheduled scan.
Security risks, such as spyware and adware, can also be detected when these activities are performed.

#43 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Neither of the above quotes refers to objects entering memory (being executed), at least not that I can see, and we've tested all of Kaspersky's products as well as all of Symantec's (Norton) products and verified this to be true.

For example, if you take any file which would be detected by both products and try to download it, the antivirus is going to block it before it runs. If you open a folder containing a file which both products would detect, the antivirus again will detect it before it tries to run. If another process on the computer accesses the file, again, the antivirus would detect it. So in any scenario where a file which is a threat, the AV is going to see it first and if the AV sees it as a threat and removes it, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's protection will not be triggered. I have to date seen no reports ever of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's protection module detecting a threat at the same time as a user's antivirus.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#44 fryerlawrence

fryerlawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

@ exile360

Have you guys been able to get tin touch with or heard from Symantec yet? If so...what have they said?

#45 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

@ exile360

Have you guys been able to get tin touch with or heard from Symantec yet? If so...what have they said?

We have reached out to them, but as far as I know they've not yet responded. Since this incident of their products displaying this incompatibility message began, we've done further testing with their products and have yet to find any conflicts, issues or incompatibilities so we're still not sure why they're suddenly showing this message stating they're incompatible and we still have many Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro users running with realtime protection fully enabled alongside Norton products and simply ignoring/skipping the incompatibility message and have had 0 reports or incidents of any actual conflicts or issues.

Hopefully they'll respond to us soon so that we can find out why they believe an incompatibility exists and work with them to resolve it should any evidence or justification for their claims be found.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#46 AstroMax

AstroMax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Below are the files that need to be excluded and include all the versions of windows that are supported

Please post back and let us know how it went.

OK on w7 64 bits, no more NIS complaints after exclusion.
Thanks.

#47 John_Dissident

John_Dissident

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

OK on w7 64 bits, no more NIS complaints after exclusion.
Thanks.

Strange, AstroMax. I have added the four files mentioned in Firefox's post #24 to both “exclude from risk scanning” and “exclude from Auto-Protect scans, SONAR scans, and Download Insight”, and I have rebooted my Win7x64 computer.

Still Norton Autofix reports incompatibility!

#48 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,207 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

@John_Dissident

It appears that Symantec/Norton is reading the registry for the uninstall string for Malwarebytes and based on that alone causes their software to bring up this alert.
As another user posted, you could temporarily rename this key in the registry and the Symantec software will stop flagging it but unless you're an experienced users I would not recommend that. It would be best to ignore the warning for now until hopefully we can get this resolved with Symantec. Unfortunately they are an independent company from us so we have to say so in how or what they do with their software and can only hope that without clear evidence of a conflict that they will remove their new scare tactic from their software.

Thanks

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

#49 Taffy1812

Taffy1812

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

I have NIS 2013 v20.3.1.22. I too have just been warned by it of the major conflict with mbam. I uninstalled it but will reinstall it having found this thread on the Norton Community forum:

http://community.nor.../952799#M237618

I am Taffy078 - you will see that I am voting with my feet and am not renewing my NIS. I'll find a simpler one - AVG has been recommended and I hope that that too will not conflict with mbam

#50 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,207 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

I have replied to a similar post here - post #275

Warning NIS 20.3.0.36 NOT compatible with Malwarebytes - post by Tony_Weiss forum Admin

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

#51 John_Dissident

John_Dissident

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

I have replied to a similar post here - post #275

Warning NIS 20.3.0.36 NOT compatible with Malwarebytes - post by Tony_Weiss forum Admin

Thanks for your post at the NIS forum. On that board, I have written twice:

I repeat my request to Norton and Malwarebytes: I hope the two companies can agree on a common appearance to their users.

#52 saganized

saganized

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Neither of the above quotes refers to objects entering memory (being executed), at least not that I can see, and we've tested all of Kaspersky's products as well as all of Symantec's (Norton) products and verified this to be true.

For example, if you take any file which would be detected by both products and try to download it, the antivirus is going to block it before it runs. If you open a folder containing a file which both products would detect, the antivirus again will detect it before it tries to run. If another process on the computer accesses the file, again, the antivirus would detect it. So in any scenario where a file which is a threat, the AV is going to see it first and if the AV sees it as a threat and removes it, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's protection will not be triggered. I have to date seen no reports ever of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's protection module detecting a threat at the same time as a user's antivirus.

exile, does that behavior have anything to do with Malwarebytes Free not detecting the eicar.com test file on my computer? I have seen that NIS will detect eicar.com (1) when I download it as eicar.com, (2) when I rename it back to eicar.com from something else, (3) if I double-click (execute?) it, or (4) when I do a Full System Scan.

For some reason--I don't know why--NIS doesn't detect it when I run a simple Quick Scan.

That said, the odd thing is, Malwarebytes never seems to detect eicar.com. So...I guess I'm just curious why that is. Thank you, and thank you for your free product. I, too, hope NIS's "issue" is resolved soon...I like Malwarebytes!

#53 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

exile, does that behavior have anything to do with Malwarebytes Free not detecting the eicar.com test file on my computer? I have seen that NIS will detect eicar.com (1) when I download it as eicar.com, (2) when I rename it back to eicar.com from something else, (3) if I double-click (execute?) it, or (4) when I do a Full System Scan.

For some reason--I don't know why--NIS doesn't detect it when I run a simple Quick Scan.

That said, the odd thing is, Malwarebytes never seems to detect eicar.com. So...I guess I'm just curious why that is. Thank you, and thank you for your free product. I, too, hope NIS's "issue" is resolved soon...I like Malwarebytes!

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect EICAR because EICAR is a file used for testing antivirus software, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an antivirus, it is an anti-malware solution designed to work in tandem with your antivirus to catch the threats your antivirus might miss, including the latest 0-day malware infections. Additional info on that may be found here.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#54 Phone Man

Phone Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Norton has released an update to NIS and NAV today and it no longer flags MBAM as a conflict. New version is 20.4.0.40

Windows 8.1 Pro, Malwarebytes Premium 2, Norton IS 2014, WinPatrol Plus.

#55 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,207 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Great news, thanks for posting Phone Man

Norton 360 update announcement

Norton Internet Security update announcement

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

#56 fryerlawrence

fryerlawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

I gave Tony Weiss a follow up question if Norton 360 Premiere 2013 would be included someday, I did not see anything for that product specifically.

Looks like from the announcement it might be dicey for my product right now.

#57 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

I gave Tony Weiss a follow up question if Norton 360 Premiere 2013 would be included someday, I did not see anything for that product specifically.

Looks like from the announcement it might be dicey for my product right now.

This might be something, though I'm not sure. From the above link provided by AdvancedSetup:

Update 20.4 patch request - N360s or N360p

If N360P refers to Norton 360 Premiere, then the patch should be available for that version.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#58 saganized

saganized

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect EICAR because EICAR is a file used for testing antivirus software, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an antivirus, it is an anti-malware solution designed to work in tandem with your antivirus to catch the threats your antivirus might miss, including the latest 0-day malware infections. Additional info on that may be found here.

exile360, thank you for explaining; I completely overlooked the fact it is an anti-malware product. Thanks!

#59 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

exile360, thank you for explaining; I completely overlooked the fact it is an anti-malware product. Thanks!

You're welcome, I'm glad to be of service :).
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#60 Phone Man

Phone Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

Here is a note from Tony Weiss on a bug in the update to NIS 2013.

To sum up, if you've already received the 20.4 update via LiveUpdate, you'll only see the incompatibility message if you manually run the Get Support tool.

If you installed the full version of 20.4 (by sending me a Private Message and receiving the download link), you won't see the incompatibility message under any conditions.

Sort of a half fix but it's better then it was.

Jim :unsure:

Windows 8.1 Pro, Malwarebytes Premium 2, Norton IS 2014, WinPatrol Plus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users