Photo

rebrandsoftware.com and itcompany.com programs ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Burak

Burak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

1-
Ad-Purge Adware & Spyware Remover
rebrandsoftware.com

2-
* Family Cyber Alert
* RegDoctor
* SpyRemover
* History Sweeper
* SpyStopper Pro
* Popup Free

http://itcompany.com/

These applications are roque programs , aren't they ?

#2 nosirrah

nosirrah

Forum Deity

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

Rebrandsoftware.com looks like another build a rogue workshop .
Bruce Harrison
Vice President of Research

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 Burak

Burak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

Thank you.

#4 fredvries

fredvries

Elite Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

Rebrandsoftware.com looks like another build a rogue workshop.

That's why RogueRemover Pro is already immunizing you against both sites. :)

But you're quite right. We will harvest these new rogue products from that sites.
[]www.pdd-nos.nl
[]www.pdd-nos.be
[]www.pdd-nos.com

#5 SwampDiner

SwampDiner

True Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

Already removed by RogueRemover. Thanks for your input though, it's good to keep my on my feet.

#6 rebrandsoftware

rebrandsoftware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hello,

I am the owner of RebrandSoftware.com and I wanted to reply to let you know that none of our software contains rogue applications, adware, spyware or any malicious software what-so-ever.

I write all of our software myself, so I can say with 100% confidence that it is completely safe to use. Ad-Purge is our anti-spyware program, and we handle everything about it, including the addition of new definitions. It it really disappointing to see all my hard work wasted on this program because of people calling it a "rogue" program, just because it isn't as well known or advertised as other anti-spyware programs.

If anyone on this board could help me figure out how to untarnish my reputation here please let me know. I invite you to try our software for yourself and you will see that it is perfectly legitimate. We offer free demos of all our software here:

http://www.rebrandso...m/software2.asp

Any help you can offer would be really appreciated. I have been working hard to get us removed from places like Web of Trust and hpHosts, but it seems like no matter what I do I always find more places that have erroneously listed my programs as malware.

Sincerely,

Mike Gibson, Owner
Rebrand Software, LLC
http://www.rebrandsoftware.com

#7 nosirrah

nosirrah

Forum Deity

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

From time to time MBAM's componenets are detected by other antimalware companies and when this happens we obviously work to get them fixed .

These are the current vendors detecting your software :

AVG 8.0.0.161 2008.10.25 Logger.DEV
DrWeb 4.44.0.09170 2008.10.25 BACKDOOR.Trojan
F-Secure 8.0.14332.0 2008.10.25 Monitor.Win32.SupremeSpy.a
Kaspersky 7.0.0.125 2008.10.25 not-a-virus:Monitor.Win32.SupremeSpy.a
SecureWeb-Gateway 6.7.6 2008.10.25 Riskware.SupremeSpy.A

If we were being detected like this we would have it fixed in very short order . I will recheck this again in a weeks time and if you are serious about security you will have this 100% resolved .

As far as complaints I have about your actual software there are a few and they are some of the usual suspects with ALL rogues :

I cant jump to detected objects to confirm their existence .
I cant save a log file before cleanup to have an expert look it over . (and no , view log is not good enough)
Find target on desktop icon is disabled .
Bruce Harrison
Vice President of Research

Posted Image

#8 rebrandsoftware

rebrandsoftware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

As far as complaints I have about your actual software there are a few and they are some of the usual suspects with ALL rogues :

I cant jump to detected objects to confirm their existence .
I cant save a log file before cleanup to have an expert look it over . (and no , view log is not good enough)
Find target on desktop icon is disabled .

Thank you so much for your response! I think I can add these features very easily to the software within the next few days. Let me just see if this is what you were thinking:

-Jump to detected objects would just open a windows explorer window to the location of the detected file
-Pop up a window with detailed information about the scan before removal

I see what you mean about "Find Target" being disabled on the desktop, but I don't know why that is. I bet it is the case with all of our software. We use Microsoft Installer and that link was created automatically by the installer. Do you know what causes it to be disabled?

Thanks again, I really appreciate this and will begin to contact the vendors that you listed.

-Mike

#9 rebrandsoftware

rebrandsoftware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

These are the current vendors detecting your software :

AVG 8.0.0.161 2008.10.25 Logger.DEV
DrWeb 4.44.0.09170 2008.10.25 BACKDOOR.Trojan
F-Secure 8.0.14332.0 2008.10.25 Monitor.Win32.SupremeSpy.a
Kaspersky 7.0.0.125 2008.10.25 not-a-virus:Monitor.Win32.SupremeSpy.a
SecureWeb-Gateway 6.7.6 2008.10.25 Riskware.SupremeSpy.A

It looks like everything you listed here is detecting our commercial keylogger application. I feel like that is acceptable because our software is for home users to monitor their own computers, we do not want our keylogger installed on a computer with malicous intent. However, our installations share similar files like:

RunAtStartupTool.exe - A tool used for Vista users to add or remove our programs from windows startup
ActSkin43.ocx - Used to color the GUI

These are completely harmless files, and they are included with most of our software. Because they are also included in the keylogger we get a lot of false positives when antivirus software programs see them and think they are related to a keylogger.

Do you have any idea how I could get these removed? I try to contact antispyware vendors whenever I notice them detecting false positives but it seems like a full time job.

-Mike

#10 Guest_remixed_*

Guest_remixed_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

I used 'History Sweeper' some years ago and have no reason to believe there's any grounds to suspect the product of being rogue (by any sensible definition of the term). There are, however, freeware products available that do the same tasks (CCleaner) so why pay for it. I tried SpyRemover with pretty much the same conclusions, not rogue but not very good either.

#11 Guest_remixed_*

Guest_remixed_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Looking at the content of the MSI for Syscleanerpro a new rogue security app, it boldly states that the software author is ' RebrandSoftware.com'
Case closed!

#12 MysteryFCM

MysteryFCM

Forum Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Oh dear. Any chance you have a link to the Syscleanerpro download please? (nvm, got it)

I delisted them a few months ago, as the problems I mentioned, were resolved, and he advised me that he'd;

1) Removing the banner ads from the demo

2) Removing the option for my customers to distribute a demo which will not remove anything unless the software is purchased

3) Removing the option for my customers to add their own definitions: I fear they could use this to create false positives

4) Changed our user agreement and terms of service to allow me to immediately disable any of my customer's branded copies of my software if find that they are engaging in distribution of malware, modifying our installer, or using deceptive advertising techniques. This goes for using the email spider in an unlawful way as well. You can see the agreement here: http://www.rebrandso...m/agreement.htm, item number 9 addresses this. I have the ability to remotely disable any program that I find to be in violation of our ToS.

5) Displaying the scan log and a warning that cookies are only a privacy concern and not malicious, as soon as a scan completes

6) Adding the ability to double-click on any adware found and open its containing folder so that the user can verify that it exists

7) Adding the ability to scan the entire computer instead of just our quick scan method, which people seemed to find questionable even though I think it works very well.

Looking at the following, it seems he fails to mention the changes he had to make in order for his site to be removed from hpHosts (which included alot more than the above)

http://www.rebrandso...?article_id=126

Steven Burn

Malware Intelligence Analyst

staff.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users