Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy

• Root Admin

We've seen way too many support tickets and forum posts about PUPs, Potentially Unwanted Programs, that we couldn't sit back anymore.

Starting today, we are upping our Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detection to include those annoying and misleading PUPs, in addition to the harmful and dangerous PUPs we already detect.

Click here to read the full blog post and to see a picture of a cute pup.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that Pando Media "Booster" is added to the PUP list. I've had to remove this from so many systems it's disgusting. All of those who had problems were surprised to learn it was because of Pando eating their bandwidth, making simple Internet tasks very troublesome.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Not a lot of AVs provide real time PUP detection. MBAM Pro looks much more appealing now.

MBAM Pro is very appealing, although please note that MBAM Pro is not an antivirus program.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

I applaud this new stance on PUP's.  A few weeks ago my 9 year old nephew installed a program on my computer that came bundled with PUP's.  Even though there was an option to opt out of installing these PUP components (but annoyingly checked by default), which I would have de-selected had I been on my PC at the time, my nephew obviously continued with the installation.  I was only aware that something had happened because there were new shortcuts on my desktop when I went back on.  At least, with this new policy, MBAM will notify me that they are there.

So we will see notifications about PUPs we didn't see before and Malwarebytes will now be able to remove them without needing anything additional such as AdwCleaner? Just want to be sure, because in the last couple of weeks I got several PUPs detected by MBAM and luckily got them removed by following some of the instructions posted in the Malware removal forum. Then this weekend I got another PUP detected, but this time MBAM removed it without having to go through the other steps. I still checked with the JRT and AdwCleaner to be certain, and it was clean. I hope this means MBAM has been improved to be able to remove these annoying PUPs. :)

• Root Admin

As JRT and AdwCleaner are tools written by individuals they will probably always have different detections than Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does. 

The overall purpose is to detect Potentially Unwanted Programs and give the individual user the choice though if they want to detect or remove and this can be set in the options of the program.

Thank you

I am using malwarebytes and run the Quick Scan daily.  Since the end of July I have been getting "PUPs" showing up....IE:  1 Aug = 5 Pups, 2 Aug = 5 PUPs and then on second scan = 7 PUPs, 3 Aug AM & PM scans = 0 PUPs, 4 Aug = 0 PUPs, 5 Aug = 4 PUPs, 6 Aug AM & PM scans = 0 PUPs, 7 Aug on the scan just run = 0. 

I have always checked eached one a did 'remove' and restart computer.  But they keep coming back.......Browser Defender, Delta A, Smartbar A, Babylon A Tarma A, Bab Solution A,  Wajam,  SweetPacks, SweetIM, Conduit A, and WeCare A.

How can I stop this??  The only thing I did was download a Hearts game as the one I had was acting up (it is fine now) and after this started happening I went in and removed it. I also check my control panel and removed something with  'Sweet" and a 'We Care'....have not found anything in control panel to remove.

Hope you can help.  Thank You!!!!