Major freezing bug in 2.x version on Windows 7 64-bit SP1

This is not good. I have a fast and powerful PC - Intel Core i7 CPU, 32 GB of RAM (4 sticks 8 GB each), NVidia GeForce GTX 670 videocard, 2 SSDs, and also a 4 GB RAM disk.

When I do a scan with the new 2.0 version (using the free one), the MalwareBytes Antimalware Pre-scan causes the Windows shell and my web browser to stop responding (Chrome says Not responding, Windows taskbar won't respond to clicks). The mouse won't reply to clicks also and barely moves or does not move at all. Keyboard also fails. Any comments on this?

Versions 1.x never did this. Using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, SP1 + all Updates installed.

If you need more info on my config, please tell me.

Forgot to mention - is this a known issue? Has anyone before me reported anything similar?
One software detail I forgot is I have Daemon Tools Lite, version 4.48.1.0347, but without the SPTD component.

Also, my RAM disk software is from AMD.

Similar problem - on my Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate SP1 PC, a MalwareBytes Antimalware 2.0 version scan causes the PC to temporarily freeze.

I don't get and flickering, however. Also, I can do scans many times, they don't fail - they just cause the PC to lockup/freeze in the Pre-scan phase of the scan.

Ooops, several more pieces of info on my config - I have an additional USB 3.0 Etron 188 chipset PCI Express card (4 port), because my ASRock motherboard only has two USB 3.0 ports.

I also have VMware Workstation 10 installed, as well as LogMeIn Hamachi, maybe those two could affect Malwarebytes Antimalware with the extra (virtual) network cards they create.

Thanks for all the config info.  It helps.

First off, did you upgrade from 1.75 to 2.00?  If so, please try a clean removal followed by an install of MBAM 2.0.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=122284

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did. I want to do this right the first time - do I run the Removal tool directly, OR do I uninstall MBAM 2.0 from Windows 7 Control Panel, then run the Removal tool?

Just checking back.  Were you able to do the clean removal and reinstall and did that correct the issue for you?

Just tried it. Cleaned, restarted the PC, installed MBAM Free 2.00 version again, updated to latest defs, tried a Scan - still freezing.

Any other suggestions? Using the free MSSE antivirus by Microsoft, by the way.

I've moved all the Naki posts to the users own topic here out of the other users post.

Please can you clean up the thread and remove all posts starting from 5th one and up to your own ones?

Hi, Naki:

Until AdvancedSetup and Firefox return....

Sorry that didn't work.

Time now for a bit more information.

Please run these scanners and post back with the logs attached to your reply.

They will review them and advise you further.

Thanks,

daledoc1

-------------------------

STEP 1
Please run the DDS scanner and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

>>If you are running Win 8.1, please skip this step.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include both of the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

STEP 2
Please run mbam-check and send back the log as an attachment to your next reply.

• Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post; instead please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt log file which should now be located on your desktop.

STEP 3
Please run the FRST tool and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. The one that runs will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your next reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your next reply.

Please can you clean up the thread and remove all posts starting from 5th one and up to your own ones?

Generally, no, that isn't done.

It's important for the staff and for forum visitors to be able to follow the "conversation".

There's no need.

For now, please just post back with the requested logs attached to your next reply here.

Then please wait for AS or Firefox to help you.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Naki:

Thanks for the logs -- we'll need to wait for one of the staff/experts to review them.

In the mean time, I just want to be sure: you HAVE rebooted the computer at least once since installing 2.0.1, right?

Yes, one needs 100 posts before being able to edit.

(You can always use the "Preview" button, if you want to check a reply before posting.)

Unfortunately, that was necessary because of past abuse by other forum members.

Thank you for your patience,

daledoc1

Yes, restarting the PC does not help any.

Another detail that might help (or not) - when the MBAM scan causes Chrome to stop responding, for a moment (2-3 seconds) Chrome shows/appears to be using just ONE tab - the currently active/open one.

Then the system gets "unstuck" and Chrome goes back to showing all open tabs (for example, 5-10 of them).

I am able to change the tab and get this "frozen" situation on different Chrome tabs in one MBAM scan.

Hmm, was not the Edit function available to posters with 50 posts? If it is 100 posts now, I guess even with the 50 post limit there were abusive users, so you had to up the number from 50 to 100.