Scheduled scans and Scan types

I have two questions

1: I've set MB to run a custom scan at 1 pm. I restarted my computer at 4:30. I noticed MB was preventing windows from shutting down so I "forced" shut it down. When I later went to check my scan log, I found none. Is that because I interrupted the scan? Was it still scanning 3 and 1/2 hours later??

2. If "Custom" is the new Full Scan and "Threat" the new Quick scan, what is Hyper?

I did install 2 on top of 1, so I'll maybe try doing a clean install. 

Has a clean install fixed abnormally long scan times? Because I think the absence of a scan log means I interrupted the scan

But even with "search for rootkits" ticked, there's no reason on earth for a full scan should take 3 and half hours

• Root Admin

But even with "search for rootkits" ticked, there's no reason on earth for a full scan should take 3 and half hours

Perhaps not if you have almost nothing installed or saved on your computer but for myself on Server I've had antivirus scans run over 24 hours due to all the files for both antivirus and MBAM. On a local system I've had it run overnight due to all the files. Time taken is due to a many factors some which can be dealt with and others not as easily.

Size of disk

Disk type

Disk speed

Disk caching

CPU speed

Controller type and speed

Operating System used

Amount of files

Amount of folders

Amount of archived files such as zip, rar, sfx, etc.

Rootkit scan or not

PUM/PUP scans

Other security programs running at the same time that may potentially be monitoring all file accesses by any other process.

Drive integrity - if a drive is failing it can take a long time to ignore and bypass sectors on a disk or simply fail period and hang the scan.

Other ongoing disk I/O processes

System being infected can also affect speed of scans

I'm not sure of all those specs but the below I know.

I have a 500 GB HD with only about 70GB used, a 465 GB external with only about 20 GB used, Windows 7 Pro 32bit, 4GB of RAM, Intel Core i5 2.67 ghz,  Running PUM/PUP scans, and, as far as I can tell, 100% drive integrity.

However I have Norton Internet Security and it takes about 45 mins, 60 tops. Also the older version of MB didn't take 3 and 1/2 hours for a full scan. It was done in about an hour, hour and a half

I tweeted your CEO some time ago to ask if a quick scan found infections, was a full scan necessary. He said no

However, I see in this new version the answer is yes.

And now with 3 1/2 hour scans it seems like a bit of a step backwards.

Some things definitely change when they upgrade so totally awesomely like they did this time. Perhaps it has altered the way a full scan is run so it does not potentially damage the HD like the old setup did. Perhaps it also needs longer scan time for the first full scan of the new version? That would seem logical to me. Try changing the time for the scheduled scan, and seeing if it repeats.

There have been reports on here that running Custom Scan with rootkits enabled can freeze your system. It happened to me, so I only enable rootkits on Hype and Threat Scans and they run fine. If you system is running a scan just open Mbam and it will show the scan in progress.

Jim

• Root Admin

No there still is no need to run a Custom (full scan) the Threat Scan is basically the same as the previous Quick Scan and will scan all known threat points.  A custom (full scan) is only needed if you want to possibly locate old dormant non live infection data.  Certainly no need to run it more than once - if you think you need or want to do that type of scans then your antivirus is actually better suited to flat file detections of non active potential threats as it has a database that covers a decade or more of infections.  We only include live actively known threats in our database to easily combat new threats.

Threat scan ==> Quick Scan
Custom scan ==> Partial or Full Scan - depending upon what you choose to scan.
Hyper scan ==> Flash Scan (only available for registered PRO users). Personally I don't recommend using it

Please run the following scans though and we'll take a look and see if we can find anything odd going on.

STEP 1
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please copy and paste it to your reply as well.

STEP 2

Next, Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

STEP 3

Next, Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

STEP 4

Next, Please download Security Check by screen317 from HERE or HERE.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • If you get Unsupported operating system. Aborting now, just reboot and try again.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt.
  • Please Post the contents of that document.
  • Do Not Attach It!!!

Thanks

Here are the scan results in order asked for - the copied and pasted ones.

Question: Is a clean install necessary? Or we don't know yet?

Question: Does the first custom scan take longer than normal and subsequent scans reduce to a more "reasonable" time?

Question: I'm going to change my weekly scan to a "Threat" scan based on the info you provided. Should I tick "check for rootkits"?

For reasons unknown, I am unable to copy and paste the Farbar scan results to this reply

Advise?

• Root Admin

The logs indicate that the computer is either possibly infected or is having some sort of software conflict as some services are not found and multiple programs are crashing.

Cannot say for certain at this time that the computer is infected but some signs would indicate that it may be.  I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Once its been determined that your computer is either not infected or its been cleaned up and the issue remains then we can continue looking at other items as needed.

Thanks