Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

• Root Admin

Common Questions and Issues

• Issue: Can I install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 over the top of version 1

Solution: Yes, but you may want to first restart your computer before doing an install to help ensure a cleaner install

• Issue: I've restarted my computer before installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 but I'm still getting errors.

Solution: Please try doing the MBAM Clean Removal Process

• Issue: I've used the MBAM Clean Removal Process but I'm still having issues with the program.

Solution: Please run the Diagnostic Logs and then create a New Topic here and post those logs.

• Issue: I've set Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to not load with Windows but it continues to load.

Solution: Please try the following fix

Program Information
  • The program Self Protection will prevent renaming, moving, or deleting any files related to the program including shortcuts on the Desktop. If you wish to move or rename a shortcut or uninstall the program or run the MBAM Clean Removal Process then you need to first disable the Self Protection module. From Settings -> Advanced Settings -> uncheck the "Enable self-protection module" and close the program. It can also prevent or hinder installation of other Malwarebytes products so make sure to disable the Protection Module before installing other Malwarebytes programs.
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 does not support any command line options. This feature will be added back in a future release.
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit scanner is not enabled by default. You must enable it if you want to use it. Please note that enabling the Anti-Rootkit scanner will increase the amount of time to scan your computer. You can enable or disable it from the Settings -> Detection and Protection area of the program. For the Premium version you can also setup scheduled scans to include various different scans to include or not include Anti-Rootkit scanning.
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will scan within archive files by default unless you disable that option. Scanning archive files can also greatly increase the amount of time taken to complete a scan depending on how many archive files are on your system. Please note that the program cannot scan any password protected archive file types.
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware only supports scanning of drives encrypted with TrueCrypt when using the rootkit scanner.  Other encryption methods are not supported at this time. You can do a regular threat scan with other encryption methods but you need to disable the rootkit scanning option.
  • The new option: "Check for updates before scanning" will randomize +/- 15 minutes not only the database update check, but also the subsequent scan time. Users who want their scheduled scan to occur at the exact scheduled time need to leave this feature disabled and setup more frequent checks for database updates.
  • There is currently no way to disable automatic/silent PROGRAM update checks. The program will always check for program updates when it checks for database updates. An option to disable this program update check will be added to a future release.
  • Logs can be located by clicking on the History button. You can double click a log and choose to export in either text or xml file formats. In most cases you can simply click on the Copy to Clipboard button when the log is opened and then paste it back to a reply here on the forum if looking for help or someone requested you to post the log. Please do not post xml log files on the forum unless requested by a helper or Staff member. The logs are also stored in the following location by default for Vista/Win7/8 unless you move the path. C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs The path for Windows XP is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
  • In the paid Premium version the Scheduled tasks are not checked in the dashboard unless selected to edit or remove. It is normal that there are no check marks on the settings as a checkmark is an indicator that you're going to take some action such as edit or remove the task.
  • The Context menu scanning is disabled by default. If you wish to use this feature you need to enable it from Settings -> General Settings
  • Users of P2P sharing programs can now exclude the program from Web blocking. From Settings -> Web Exclusions - WARNING: Do not add programs such as Internet Explorer or other Web Browsers, or your email client as this would then disable protection to any sites they connect to and greatly increase your exposure risk.
  • Here are links to product manuals: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware User-Guide Online | Malwarebytes Anti-Malware User-Guide PDF file
  • Here are links to further product Knowledge Base articles about our program.