Number of issues after MBAM 2.0 troubles

WhiteZero

Copy-Paste from my BleepingComputer post for more exposure.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro.

So my PC was out a commission with a bad PSU all week. Just before the PSU went bad, I was having issues with MBAM 2.0 Premium. Whenever I had it installed, with Real-Time Protection enabled, I would hard lock on boot when I got to the desktop. Totally unresponsive, except Ctrl+Alt+Del menu would come up, but even that was unresponsive.

After getting my system back online with a replacment CPU, I used MBAM's cleaner utility and finally got my system to stop locking up. But now I'm having a couple issues that I can't resolve despite trying many solutions found through Google. The main two issues are:

Logitech Setpoint constantly crashes with this error:

Yaa0oLU.png

3IjBsog.png

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Setpoint a couples times, same result.

And Java JRE fails to install regardless of what version I try. I get the error "Installation Failed. THe wizard was interrupted." I've even tried the JavaRa removal program.

I've also tried installing and rolling back to recent large Windows 8.1 update. I've also run SFC /SCANNOW a couple times, no errors found.

I don't know what to do. I'm on the cusp of just formatting and going back to Windows 7.

Update: I seem to have resolved the SetPoint crash. I went to try to update the Windows 8 Netflix app, but none of my Windows Apps would update giving the error 0x80072ee4. Turns out this was because my IE Cache location was changed somehow, possibly when I ran TFC as part of MBAM troubleshooting. After changing that location to the correct folder, I could update WIndows Apps and SetPoint stopped crashing. However, Java still can't install.

• Root Admin

Well we can try some cleanup for Java to hopefully get it going but if at all possible I would highly recommend not using Java as that is probably one of the most popular means of infecting computers as almost monthly new exploits are found in Java.

Please try the following.   Make sure you right click and launch it with Admin Rights.

Please download JavaRa-1.16 and save it to your computer.

• Double click to open the zip file and then select all and choose Copy.
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop named RemoveJava and paste the files into this new folder.
  • Quit all browsers and other running applications.
  • Right-click on JavaRa.exe in RemoveJava folder and choose Run as administrator to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

Then restart the computer and get the latest version of Java.   http://www.java.com

Thanks

Well we can try some cleanup for Java to hopefully get it going but if at all possible I would highly recommend not using Java as that is probably one of the most popular means of infecting computers as almost monthly new exploits are found in Java.

Please try the following.   Make sure you right click and launch it with Admin Rights.

Please download JavaRa-1.16 and save it to your computer.

• Double click to open the zip file and then select all and choose Copy.
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop named RemoveJava and paste the files into this new folder.
  • Quit all browsers and other running applications.
  • Right-click on JavaRa.exe in RemoveJava folder and choose Run as administrator to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

Then restart the computer and get the latest version of Java.   http://www.java.com

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, AS. I mostly just keep Java around for Minecraft.

Anyway, I've run JavaRa 2.5 a few times. But I went ahead and tried 1.16 as you suggested. I've attached the log. I'll note I get the FireFox errors even with Firefox closed and killed through Task Manager. After running this and rebooting, I attempt to install Java 7u55 again and get the same error.

RemoveJava.txt

• Root Admin

I've had something similar happen to a computer a while back and I was able to get Revo Uninstaller to clean it up enough to allow a reinstall of Java.  Normally don't recommend these type of tools but it might be the only good recourse here.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I've had something similar happen to a computer a while back and I was able to get Revo Uninstaller to clean it up enough to allow a reinstall of Java.  Normally don't recommend these type of tools but it might be the only good recourse here.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Not seeing anything in that program that would help. Not showing anything Java related.

Sorry Ron, but if I may interject:

@WhiteZero, I'm assuming you installed it and it did not find anything JAVA related, as opposed to just reading about it on the website and not seeing any specific mention of JAVA?

Would you clean out your temp folders and give the JRE another attempt?

I discovered the issue. My temp files directory, C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp, lost it's SYSTEM and Administrator permissions, they were all unchecked. Since many installeres run as the System account, they coulden't access their own extracted files for installatoin. After fixing the Security permissions, Java installed. Yet another issue apparently caused by TFC.

• Root Admin

No I seriously doubt that.  This is the first report I've seen of that and TFC is run hundreds of times per week on over a dozen Internet support sites.  Possibly thousands of times by other various unrelated sites as well.

If you can replicate this issue though please let us know and we can report back to the author

Cheers

No I seriously doubt that.  This is the first report I've seen of that and TFC is run hundreds of times per week on over a dozen Internet support sites.  Possibly thousands of times by other various unrelated sites as well.

If you can replicate this issue though please let us know and we can report back to the author

Cheers

It may have been a fluke, but I don't see what else could have caused issues with two of my temp/chache directories. Unless it was the MBAM-Clean application. TFC and MBAM Clean were the only utilities I ran right before this issue occured.

I discovered the issue. My temp files directory, C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp, lost it's SYSTEM and Administrator permissions, they were all unchecked.

This just came to mind, Have you ever run any tools in the past to prevent Cryptolocker infections?