Cannot update malware definitions solved

I was unable to update Malwarebytes, tried all the steps recommended in similar posts. I uninstalled malwarebytes, ran Mbam clean, plus I even checked the registry for anything left behind deleted that. Then I rebooted and reinstalled malwarebytes, but the problem still persisted... Then I logged into my backup admin account and tried to do a definition update again, and it worked! So for anyone else that's followed the steps and can't get anywhere try what I did, maybe it'll work for you too.

I've added a screenshot of the problem I was experiencing for clarification.

post-163880-0-26670500-1400307455_thumb.

Many thanks! I found this issue yesterday and this seems to have fixed it.

I'm on XP32 SP3 and I got a runtime error when trying to update. After reading this thread I restarted in safe mode with internet and logged into the default admin account where I was able to update and run a thread scan without a problem. Now everything seems normal on my everyday account too.

Well, what do you know :) I saw this post, but misunderstood that it only worked on the Admin account. Just did it and my regular account seems to be fixed. Thanks Arthas1982, and netolia for pointing me back here ;)

A Guy

posted today? I just got this issue yesterday wrote on: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=148754&p=830915

you fixed that mate? please explain how: :(

you installed the beta or the non- beta version 2?

please tell me how the admin update works, if I using now the Adminastor PC, how can make update without issue closing problem?

if you said it ok, but Im didnt understand, please help me update Im sorry if you Angry (I see every1 happy but how should I do?)

Thanks you Very much again if can help me Friends!!

TripleTripe follow the steps below and install the beta, you will have better results that way... do all steps while logged in as an Administrator on your computer...Thank You

Hey Firefox, do you read what he wrote?

I was unable to update Malwarebytes, tried all the steps recommended in similar posts. I uninstalled malwarebytes, ran Mbam clean, plus I even checked the registry for anything left behind deleted that. Then I rebooted and reinstalled malwarebytes, but the problem still persisted... 

can some1 say how normal he make it? I already followed the steps and no1 works or some1 try to help... Any ideas please? not 4 steps that he wrote didnt help...

than he say he did something Admin and worked... how please?

Thanks for help please (I using Adminastor).... please read what he wrote, if I wrong tell me and I try again.

Thanks sir I just want fix a problem :(

He said he logged in as an Administrator or a different account as an administrator.  Not sure if he was originally logged in as a limited user or not.

You can try and create a new account on your computer with administrator rights and try and run/update Malwarebytes and see if that works. That being said, you should really be posting in your own thread that you started HERE instead of hijacking others....

yea, when no- buddy answer after me post, I still have the problem and want a help.

so I asked here, if he Already fixed it, I didnt understand HOW. ok...

than I think is be usefull when all making this: :) mean is worked for them and all, but I stuck with this :(

so what want me to do, keep talking with myself or hope for help in other thread?

please, is not hard for you, I just really didnt know why this problem came.

Wow! amazing is worked!

Thanks a lot both Arthas1982 and Firefox!

- maked new Adminastor user and try update from there, sucssesed!!! :) now making search there if got something harmful in hard disk.

next I back to regular Adminastor and hope he be able to Update from there too.

Thanks you very much for help support!

TripleTripe follow the steps below and install the beta

Thank You

I found the above steps to be completely pointless, did them many times over for like 6 hours:/

Both my windows accounts have full administrator privileges, But for whatever reason the account I'm normally on prevented me from updating the program. Switching accounts was a long-shot but I'm glad it worked and I glad some other people found this method has helped them!

TripleTripe glad the steps mentioned have helped thus far... let us know of the scans find any malware...

Arthas1982 I understand that in your case the steps mentioned did not help. That being said, those steps have helped many folks.  The steps are only so we can get a fresh starting point with Malwarebytes and so the person being helped provides the logs so they can see what's going on.  You never provided logs (that I know of) so no one was able to help you.  FWIW thanks for the work you have performed and glad you were able to get yours running.  Someone on staff will review your findings and perhaps that will help them fix any bugs.  Thanks for posting you hard work, it seems to have helped some users.

Many thanks.  I just spent most of today trying to fix this same problem, and this trick worked for me.

I was running fine with some prior version (not even sure if it was 1.75 or 2).  I followed the prompt to update to a new version.  I did that, but it would crash when trying to update its definitions database.

WARNING - a lot of the time I spent today was fixing things that got screwed up after running Combofix. 

ComboFix removed folders created by Dell's diagnostic crapware called PC Doctor.  That wasn't so bad - I was going to remove it myself eventually.

But worse, it effed up my fingerprint login.  I think it wants to restore native Windows authentication processes.  I could not use either my fingerprint or a normal password.  Upon entering a correct (or even an incorrect) password, I got an error that said, "The request is not supported." Luckily using Last Known Good configuration got me in.  Dell's fingerprint software sucks and did not fully work correctly anyway - so no big loss except for a few hours of my day.  I'm disabling using fingerprints for login. 

To summarize, if MBAM is crashing when it tries to update its database, log into another user account and try it.

And be careful if you ever have to use ComboFix, especially if you use alternate authentication methods to log into Windows. 

• Root Admin

TripleTripe follow the steps below and install the beta

Thank You

I found the above steps to be completely pointless, did them many times over for like 6 hours:/

Both my windows accounts have full administrator privileges, But for whatever reason the account I'm normally on prevented me from updating the program. Switching accounts was a long-shot but I'm glad it worked and I glad some other people found this method has helped them!

Well obviously STEP 3 was not completed as you did not post back any logs for us to review and assist you. I highly recommend that anyone having issues please post back the requested logs in their own NEW Topic so that we can assist you.

• Root Admin

There are many reasons why one may be having an issue and why we ask that each user please create their own topic so that we can provide you with one on one advice.

Please start a NEW Topic and post back the Diagnostic Logs in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help forum and someone will review your logs and assist  you.

As this current topic has been resolved for the original user I'll go ahead and close this topic now.

Thank you again.