Photo
- - - - -

AboutBuster 5.1 works on all variants of About:Blank?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cheryl

Cheryl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:09 AM

Hello, I have a PC infecteded by About:Blank. I was reading about ways to fix it in other forums and see a posting that says if use AboutBuster,

"that does not work on all variants of it, you have to identify which variant it is, using that alone may hinder the process..... it does need a little reseach."

Can someone pleas give adivce.

#2 Jahewi

Jahewi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi Cheryl.

I don't know if i am allowed to answer your question, but it's a small answer.
So i hope they forgive me B)

Here it is:

There is no universal way of dealing with About:Blank-infections, just because of the number of variants.

However, you don't have to find out wich variant is on your computer.
Let the experts find that out for you :D

Just post a HijackThis-log in this topic and wait for one of the helpers/experts to respond :D

How to post a HijackThis-log:
- Make a new folder on your desktop and name it f.e. HJT
- Download HijackThis and unzip it to the HijackThis-folder, you've just made.
- Open the HijackThis-folder and doubleclick HijackThis.exe to open the program.
- Click Scan and wait for HijackThis to make the log.
- Click Save log to save the log and open it in Notepad.
- Copy the complete text of the log into this topic.

Good luck, Jan :)

#3 Cheryl

Cheryl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:55 PM

Thank you - my borther said to go ahead and use it so I did and it worked! I didn't know it would be so many peolpe trying to get into our own computers! Thanks to you for the help..

Cheryl

#4 Jahewi

Jahewi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:16 AM

Thank you - my borther said to go ahead and use it so I did and it worked!

That's great news, Cheryl B)
However, if you want to be absolutely sure that it's completely removed, i'd advice to post the HijackThis-log anyway. :D

I didn't know it would be so many peolpe trying to get into our own computers!

In your case, it's not people that's trying to get into your computer, but malware (short for Malicious Software).
However there is a lot you can do against it, allthough you can never protect your computer 100%
I don't know the level of protection of your computer, but i have the following pointers for you :D

Windows ME, XP en 2000 only: Remove old restorepoints and set a new, clean one:
If you have removed malware, just now, it's recommended to remove old restorepoints and let Windows make a new, clean one.
Because Windows regularly sets restorepoints, it's very possible that the malware, you have removed, is still present in the System Restore. If you have to put Windows back to such a restorepoint, this malware will be put back, as well.
To remove the current restorepoints and and set a new, clean one:
- Click Start > rightclick 'My Computer' > select 'Properties' > click tabpage 'System Restore'.
- Mark Turn off System Restore, click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.
- Reboot the computer.
- Goto the 'System Restore-tabpage' again and unmark Turn off System Restore

Keep your antivirus-program uptodate and do regular scans with it.
If you haven't got a antivirus, you can download and install one of the following free ones:
AVG
aVast
AntiVir

Keep your pestware-scanners uptodate and do regular scans with them.
To keep your computer free of Spyware, Adware, Hijackers etc., download and install the following free pestware-scanners (if you haven't installed them allready):
AdAware
Spybot

Install realtime pestware-scanners and keep them uptodate.
The following free realtime pestscanners prevent a number of malware-variants from entering your computer, in the first place:
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

If you haven't got one, allready, install a firewall and keep it uptodate.
A firewall will prevent unauthorized contact between your computer and internet.
If there is no firewall installed on your computer, you can download and install one of the following free firewalls:
ZoneAlarm
Sygate
Kerio Personal Firewall (Will be discontinued as from the end of 2005)
Important: (Windows XP only) If you install a firewall, be sure to turn off the WinXP-firewall!

Install these programs, to make surfing with Internet Explorer more save:
- a popup-blocker, f.e. Google Toolbar: A popup-blocker prevents popup-windows from opening, when you come along a websites that uses them, during internet-surfing.
- IE-SPYAD: This utility adds a long list of known bad sites to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites zone. This prevents those sites from executing their malious programs on your computer.

Install and use an alternative browser to surf on the internet.
Internet Explorer is famous for it's security-problems.
Therefore, and because it's most-used browser on the planet, most of the hijackers, adware and spyware are made to abuse your computer thru Internet Explorer.
Here are some good alternative browsers:
Mozilla Suite
Mozilla Firefox
Opera
Netscape
Important: You can not uninstall Internet Explorer.
First of all, it's part of Windows and you'll need it to download and install Windows Updates.
Secondly, There are some sites that are only accessable with Internet Explorer, fe. most of the Online Malware-scanners.

But above all, keep Windows, malware-scanners and firewall UPTODATE at all time!!

Also, i can recomment reading the excellent advice by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Thanks to you for the help..

Cheryl

You're very welcome, Cheryl!

Keep your computer save and ... happy surfing!

Jan :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users