8 replies to this topic

#1 mynorgeek

mynorgeek

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

Is there a way for users to update the database without updating the program version? Thank you. :(

#2 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

Greetings mynorgeek :( .

Unfortunately I don't believe so because newer definitions versions are directly tied to how the new version of the program operates. I believe even if you were to get the new defs with an old version that MBAM would simply display an error stating that the definitions version is incompatible with the version of MBAM you're using.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 nosirrah

nosirrah

Forum Deity

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

App updates have critical fixes and added technology . Keeping an old version would put you at a great disadvantage .
Bruce Harrison
Vice President of Research

Posted Image

#4 mynorgeek

mynorgeek

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

Greetings mynorgeek :( .

Unfortunately I don't believe so because newer definitions versions are directly tied to how the new version of the program operates. I believe even if you were to get the new defs with an old version that MBAM would simply display an error stating that the definitions version is incompatible with the version of MBAM you're using.

Thank you for the fast reply.

That's what I thought. The concern, of course, is that the program update might be problematic, and some users would prefer to allow others to try the newest version first before doing so themselves. I tend to do that myself whenever that option is available, but I can't with MBAM. I wish they would consider making this possible, rather than tying the database updates to the version updates. :(

#5 yardbird

yardbird

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.39 has been released. As this is primarily a bugfix release, if you had issues with 1.38, please let us know if 1.39 resolves them.
above is from the Root admin

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

#6 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

I certainly see your point, but believe me a lot of beta testing goes on around here :( . The developers of course try to avoid problems when they can, but when an issue does pop up they're more than willing to help any user troubleshoot their issue until they can find a resolution. The process can be painstaking, but well worth it if it fixes an issue.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#7 RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY

Marcin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

We may make it a feature in the future, solely for corporate users. Reason being, they may need to plan around drastic updates to the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware product. But, for now it is not possible.
Marcin Kleczynski
Chief Executive Officer

#8 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,245 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:22 AM

We may make it a feature in the future, solely for corporate users. Reason being, they may need to plan around drastic updates to the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware product. But, for now it is not possible.

Thank you, yes - quite important to Admins that have to manage hundreds or thousands of desktops.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

#9 mynorgeek

mynorgeek

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

I hope that you consider making it a feature for non-corporate users as well, Marcin. A great many security products these days have the database and program updates separate. This provides the user/customer with greater options. Let's be honest, new program versions do at times have problems. The ability to decide for myself whether or not to install an upgrade right away is indeed a huge plus for me. In my time using your program, I have always experienced success. Nevertheless, I see others here in the forum who have not been so fortunate. It would be helpful for some of us to be able to choose whether or not we wish to jump into the fray, when we suspect that a new program version might cause trouble with our particular set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users