• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#41 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

Oh. Were you able to get your computer at least to boot back up so you could fix it?

That's just terrible, I'm sorry ;)

I didn't even bother to ask them for help.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#42 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

@GT500

I bet you're right, I bet that's what happened.

You guys at Malwarebytes are the best, and I really and sincerely appreciate you all and I love your product so much that I bought it ;) and I recommend it to friends and family whenever I have the chance. It's amazing and I don't think there's anything quite like it out there. Not to mention the outstanding support ;)

I guarantee that his manager thought it was a great idea, and then probably allowed the guy to implement it how he saw fit.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#43 TeMerc

TeMerc

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1 Auto Racing, Computer Security, Entertainment, Sci-Fi, SuperHeroes

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

So if I'm Emissoft, I'm isuing a public apology to Malwarebytes, regardless of the rogue employee. Seems only right. Or is that just me?

Anyone seen one?
Tom Mercado
Product Support Team Lead

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#44 yardbird

yardbird

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

So if I'm Emissoft, I'm isuing a public apology to Malwarebytes, regardless of the rogue employee. Seems only right. Or is that just me?

Anyone seen one?

TeMerc is right !!!!! I haven't seen one??

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

#45 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

I agree, that would be the best and most ethical thing for this company to do.

I haven't seen one, but then again I wouldn't know where to look.

Anyone seen one?

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#46 TheJoker

TheJoker

Expert

• Experts
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Makes you wonder what that person was thinking (or apparently not thinking).

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#47 AndyAtHull

AndyAtHull

Malware Destroyer

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

There may have been one given to Marcin. Regarding a public apology, that is for Emisoft to conduct on their own grounds. As far as they are concerned, the matter has been dealt with. And it has been dealt with promptly. Far too often problems drag on for days, if not weeks. It would be nice for a public announcement, but they are not legally bound to do so if matters have been dealt with privatley..
Andrew Kleijn
Securitycadets' Owner

Follow me on: Twitter | Follow Securitycadets' on: Twitter | Become a fan on: Facebook

Click here to get SCars | Check your Computers' Security with DefenceInspector

Posted Image

Disclaimer: The opinions I post are my own and don't reflect the police force I am in.

#48 TeMerc

TeMerc

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1 Auto Racing, Computer Security, Entertainment, Sci-Fi, SuperHeroes

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

There may have been one given to Marcin. Regarding a public apology, that is for Emisoft to conduct on their own grounds. As far as they are concerned, the matter has been dealt with. And it has been dealt with promptly. Far too often problems drag on for days, if not weeks. It would be nice for a public announcement, but they are not legally bound to do so if matters have been dealt with privatley..

Legalities totally aside, a public apology is just the right thinig to do IMHO.
Tom Mercado
Product Support Team Lead

Posted Image

#49 Fatdcuk

Fatdcuk

Malware BBQ'er

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Makes you wonder what that person was thinking (or apparently not thinking).

Is very straight forward, a2 are struggling to get their product into an already saturated market so anything goes......

They cant establish in the core market as the big AV's have that sewn up so they are pushed out to the security forums for an entry point.

They see our growth and success and would like to emulate it.

MBAM is red and A2 is blue , the figures make very depressing reading for a2/Emsisoft
http://www.google.co...2...=ytd&sort=1

lol at Mr ex employee claims that a2 has a greater pressence in Germany than MBAM..google trends dose'nt agree ;)

Judging by a series of recent events around the security boards,bogus tests by a2, F/P's against MBAM and now these PM's then they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get noticed.

If they want to emulate MBAM then all they have todo is start cutting it in the realworld....shills always remind us about their stellar detection rates but their tech sucks at removing the real gnarlly stuff.

Maybe if their dev's department spent less time hacking our technology and database and concocting crass PR campaigns to get attention then they might have more time to improve their own software :angry:

JMHO but if a company has to resort to these kind of tactic's to get their software noticed, then really the software cant be doing a good job of selling itself in the first place.Afterall,their free version has been around for sometime now....
Ade Gill
Research Engineer

Posted Image

#50 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

@ Fatdcuk

Well said!

Is very straight forward, a2 are struggling to get their product into an already saturated market so anything goes......

They cant establish in the core market as the big AV's have that sewn up so they are pushed out to the security forums for an entry point.

They see our growth and success and would like to emulate it.

MBAM is red and A2 is blue;)
http://www.google.co...2...=ytd&sort=1

lol at Mr ex employee claims that a2 has a greater pressence in Germany than MBAM..google trends dose'nt agree ;)

Judging by a series of recent events around the security boards,bogus tests by a2, F/P's against MBAM and now these PM's then they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get noticed.

If they want to emulate MBAM then all they have todo is start cutting it in the realworld....shills always remind us about their stellar detection rates but their tech sucks at removing the real gnarlly stuff.

Maybe if their dev's department spent less time hacking our technology and database and concocting crass PR campaigns to get attention then they might have more time to improve their own software :angry:

JMHO but if a company has to resort to these kind of tactic's to get their software noticed, then really the software cant be doing a good job of selling itself in the first place.Afterall,their free version has been around for sometime now....

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#51 MBAM OR SAS

MBAM OR SAS

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Oh. Were you able to get your computer at least to boot back up so you could fix it?

That's just terrible, I'm sorry :angry:

I threw it out.It was getting old anyway.I bought a new one later ;)

#52 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

Awww. That's too bad though :angry: At least you were able to get a new one and you needed one anyway. Did you ever tell them about what happened or no?

I threw it out.It was getting old anyway.I bought a new one later ;)

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#53 nosirrah

nosirrah

Forum Deity

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

A-Squared and Malwarebytes are both small companies with the same business model. That makes us competitors

Actually we are a completely different animals . A-Squared is a multi-engine all in one suite , Malwarebytes is an antivirus complement .

I have come to believe that the meteoric rise of Malwarebytes (look at the CNet dowload stats) has been fueled by the attention they have paid to forums

Actually it has more to do with the fact that help forums are fueled by antivirus company failures and malware that evades antivirus software is where Malwarebytes is at its absolute strongest . It is only logical that this public venue clearly demonstrates our dominance in the niche we have carved out for ourselves .

We only consider malware authors our competitors and they view us the same way . This is clearly evident when looking at the number of infections that attempt to attack our software .

Then when virus-stricken folks google on their problem, it leads them to many posts with mbam recommendations from expert advisors. That's different than in Germany, A-Squared's biggest market, where people pay more astute attention to head-on-head anti-virus detection rates and then make their choice. A-Squared creams all the competition in that respect

So Americans care more about watching real world current threat malware stomping in the forums than they do about pretend tests that involve samples from as far back as the windows 95 days ? I fail to see what is so shocking about this .

once-per-day updates vs. several times in a 24 hour period

When have we ever updated only once a day ? Today has been slow and we have already done 5 .

small data base of virus signatures vs. 3+ million

A small database of current threats > than any size that is not strong on current threats . I am sorry to say that even the average noob has begun to figure out that database size has absolutely nothing to do with detection rates . Think of it this way . What is the difference between a database that is 95% threats that you have absolutely no chance of encountering by a factor of years and a database that is 95% made up definitions for malware that never existed ? As far as protecting you today they are indistinguishable .

http://www.malwareby...=Trojan.Vundo.H

At this moment this is at 54 million + hits and corresponds to exactly 0 definitions . The days of definition count having much to do with anything are long gone . Superior tech can detect malware with no defs at all and any company that goes on and on about this figure is covering up something else up .
Bruce Harrison
Vice President of Research

Posted Image

#54 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

@ Nosirrah

Well said! :angry:

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#55 Sparsha

Sparsha

True Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Actually we are a completely different animals . A-Squared is a multi-engine all in one suite , Malwarebytes is an antivirus complement .

I think they dint get this point. I havent seen any trusted advisor asking user only run MBAM to protect their system.

I was also surprised about the comment made on the whitelist! This clearly tells you how knowledgeable this guy was!

You Guys @ MBAM Rock! ;)
Cheers,
Sparsha

#56 prairie dog

prairie dog

Forum Deity

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

I've never understood the reasoning behind "bashing" competitors. As an average user, when I read something like this, I get embarrassed for the company making the damaging remarks. I automatically think to myself that the company getting "bashed" must have a superior product and the one doing the bashing is struggling to pick up the scraps. This will undoubtedly boost MBAM and drag A2 down. Just my 2cents.
Avira Antivir Personal and MBAM Pro
On demand: SAS and Hitman Pro
Firewall-Online Armor Premium
FF3-adblock plus, noscript, betterprivacy, WOT, Keyscrambler, TrackMeNot
Sandboxie

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

#57 ShadowPuterDude

ShadowPuterDude

• Experts
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

As Bruce has pointed out A2AM and MBAM are not the same class of applications.

Now as far as they dint get it. I know from personal experience that the EMSI Software developers do get it, at least the ones I have spoken with at one point or another.

Any speculation, by anyone, about what happened or did not happen between the person recently terminated by EMSI and EMSI management is just that speculation.

The job of a security application can be broken down to 3 things:
1. Prevention (A2AM excels at this)
2. Detection (A2AM has problems with False Positives, as do many other AV/AS/AM applications. Most notably McAfee, a few weeks back a McAffee update was responsible for rendering inoperable quite a few windows servers, some of them were mission critical servers, all over the globe. The McAfee update incorrectly identified several critical Windows system files as malicious and deleted them. In A2AM's defense the false positives are quickly corrected, once EMSI has been notified of the FP.)
3. Mitigation (A2AM fails to remove some of the nastier infections, as do most of the other AV/AS/AM applications, that's if they even detect the infection in the first place. However, A2AM informs the user when it fails to remove a particular infection and refers them to the a-squared support forums, for assistance in removing the malware.)

DISCLAIMER: Other than being an ESMI Software affiliate, and the head of their Malware Removal forum; I have absolutely no financially ties to EMSI Software, and I am not employed by EMSI Software.

As Marcin posted earlier in this thread, he had spoken with Christian and that Christian had properly dealt with the situation. If Marcin is satisfied with how this was handled by EMSI Software, then who are we to demand anything differently.
Kevin Zoll

"Only those who fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" - Robert F. Kennedy
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Consumer Security (2007-2008)
Member - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals - Since 2006

#58 sho-dan

sho-dan

कैंसर योद्धा

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

I spoke with the CEO of Emsisoft regarding this situation. Christian confirmed it was an employee of Emsisoft and he has dealt with him properly. I thank Christian for his efforts.

As Marcin posted earlier in this thread, he had spoken with Christian and that Christian had properly dealt with the situation. If Marcin is satisfied with how this was handled by EMSI Software, then who are we to demand anything differently.

These two statements, imho says that the overly passionate authors case is settled and closed. So lets get back into the business of removing malware and protecting the innocence. ;)

#59 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

These two statements, imho says that the overly passionate authors case is settled and closed. So lets get back into the business of removing malware and protecting the innocence. ;)

Yes, removing malware is far more important than petty squabbles between companies. As Bruce said, our only competition is the malware.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#60 MBAM OR SAS

MBAM OR SAS

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

Awww. That's too bad though ;) At least you were able to get a new one and you needed one anyway. Did you ever tell them about what happened or no?

I emailed them about it and they never reply back. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users