24 replies to this topic

#1 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,245 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is mentioned in this article. Sponsored search results lead to malware

Discusses why, how searching for our site can easily lead you to other sites that contain Malware.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#2 srtools1980y

srtools1980y

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

Yes it's dangerous to search for security products on net & as reported one will end only on rogue sites mostly. To avoid one can ask for advise from friends or co-workers.

Another tip: you can search reputed sites such as cnet, softpedia, brothersoft like that, if one doesn't know the exact name of the security soft.

Thanks AdvancedSetup for posting the link.

#3 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Nice Read AdvancedSetup.....

Not only that, we have to be protected against ourselves and typo's. If you misspell a site you are trying to go to, you may end up at a malicious site as well....

I cant even count how many folks I have talked to that got infected and they took it upon themselves to try and fix it only to make matters worst be being scammed like this.

Now when I recommend the site to them I send them an email with the exact link to what I want them to download.

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 swagger

swagger

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, I have always marveled at some of the links that come up when searching for things. Good publicity for MBAM and hpHosts though :lol:

Desktop ----- Intel i5, 8GB DDR3, ASUS Mainboard, 500GB HD, Windows 7 SP2, Avira Antivir Personal, MBAM Pro
Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Linux Mint

#5 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the great article, Ron :lol:

I'll pass it along to all that I know!

It's too bad for the legitimate companies, though, that sponsored links can be dangerous. I'm sure its causing them to lose out, but I'd rather be safe than risk clicking on a sponsored link, or any link that I am unsure of for that matter.

I agree w. Swagger, definitely makes excellent publicity and public knowledge of Malwarebytes and HPHosts :lol:

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#6 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

Great find Ron. :lol:

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#7 YoKenny1

YoKenny1

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:Using computers for learning.
    Happily retired IBMer after 31 years mainly in hardware maintenance.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, I have always marveled at some of the links that come up when searching for things. Good publicity for MBAM and hpHosts though :lol:

That article resulted in a bit of hardship for Steven (MysteryFCM) but he recovered:
http://forum.hosts-f....php?f=2&t=1741
E5200 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, avast! V6.0 Free, IE9
P4 2.8GHZ, 1.5GB RAM, 40GB HD, XP Pro SP3, 32-bit, avast! V6.0 Pro, Macrium Reflect
with IE8 and Chrome, hpHosts, MVPS HOSTS files, MBAM Full, OpenDNS, SpeedFan, WinPatrol PLUS

#8 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:53 PM

@ YoKenny1

Oh wow! Thanks for the link.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#9 yardbird

yardbird

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:13 AM

good find!!!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

#10 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:12 AM

Nasty stuff and unfortunately common practice. I'm glad that MBAM exists to fight this nastiness since the search providers clearly aren't going out of their way to stop it.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#11 swagger

swagger

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

Oh man!!! What a link to your site can do! Sorry to hear that Steven, but look on the bright side, it's for the right reasons...

Desktop ----- Intel i5, 8GB DDR3, ASUS Mainboard, 500GB HD, Windows 7 SP2, Avira Antivir Personal, MBAM Pro
Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Linux Mint

#12 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

There must be a way that genuine resellers can be identified - A seller ## or similar- If the 'bogus' (fake) sellers are allowed to continue then you may lose some of the real people that resell MBAM, and even though there is little profit in it for them, they should be given some "Trademark/Logo" to show they are legal - :lol:
I personally know of 2 who are legal resellers and they say business has been slow - They may need to refer back to this site (or similar sites) :lol: as the only legal sites - And have a Quote # to show where the client was sent from in order to get the fee for resale ?? - :lol:
This only applies if you want more than just c Net as a reseller !!
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#13 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

There must be a way that genuine resellers can be identified ...

There is. We don't come up in the sponsored links. We come up in the real search results. Since 90% of computer users don't know the difference, and search companies aren't about to explain it to them, a good amount of people fall for these scams.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#14 js9600

js9600

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:48 AM

Hmm, turn off your adblocker and reevaluate what is a reputed site. You might get a shock. Softpedia?, Im close to say even without ads!, other popular download centrals? not even close. Sites dealing with security, like a removal forum - absolutely not. Logic of receiving income but having no responsibility for ad-content is very common among site admins worldwide. Usually not the most popular topic to bring up. Some say it straight out, like "If you dont like Google Ads go sue them". Which is how it is. Ads are income so cant be touched. How to monetize without risking serving crap must be the question rarely anyone is interested in. Google is holy so only answer is personal adblocking but not always approved of either, and backside of adblocking could be whitewashing of content which might not go down so well.

Not that hard finding legit regular ads which trigger Malwarebytes and other programs. pcrunsfast.com, pcdocpro.com, spywareremove.com, regtool.com, freeregistryfix.com, 1clickpcfix.com I will assume could be targets. Matter of definition but must at least be worthy of "highly questionable" label. Took a whole minute to write those down from 2 of the more popular malware removal forums. Problem spelled out I think.

#15 js9600

js9600

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:57 AM

I messed up forum. Added that ads-boxes on forums and sites with log-in often go away if you are a member. Is the case for those 2 I found. But problem does not vanish.

#16 __redruM

__redruM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in order to place an Ad on a site like google, someone would have to pay money, and Google would have a billing address. Why isn't the FBI knocking on the door of this billing address?

#17 srtools1980y

srtools1980y

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Why isn't the FBI knocking on the door of this billing address?

The world is not perfect.

#18 js9600

js9600

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Money rules. But Google also in StopBadware, make attack/phishing filters for Chrome and Firefox. Must be walking on a thin line and be careful own browser dont block ads :) I dont think they are interested in pimping crappy sites but may be impossible to control such a beast. Others will say this is just Google showing how evil they are! Is a can of worm to think about. When is a product or ad a scam, malicious like in should be stopped and when just sign of free market - people have the opportunity be to taken advantage of. I still think something is wrong when a removal forum or supposedly quality based software central and highly questionable software ads are a natural mix. Such a good example but nothing special, just how machinery works. Can probably find the same in other segments of market place as well.

#19 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

My only real issue with Google isn't the fact that they're reaping profits from the malicious ads, it's that when the malicious ads get reported as malicious, Google does nothing about it. In my opinion this shows a lack of concern for the users of their services.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#20 srtools1980y

srtools1980y

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:05 AM

My only real issue with Google isn't the fact that they're reaping profits from the malicious ads, it's that when the malicious ads get reported as malicious, Google does nothing about it. In my opinion this shows a lack of concern for the users of their services.

It's due to 'MONOPOLY'.

From Wikipedia:

In economics, a monopoly exists when a specific individual or an enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it.

Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition for the goods or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods.

The verb "monopolize" refers to the process by which a firm gains persistently greater market share than what is expected under perfect competition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users