142 replies to this topic

#41 DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

( http://www.mywot.com...obit.com#page-1 )

Now 37

#42 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

That makes it look pretty conclusive as regards their ethics. ;)

I find it amusing that the rating isn't changing. I guess people are content to leave bad comments, but not to go farther than that. Although I guess I can understand them not wanting to do something that they might have to go back and change later on, assuming they would want to undo their rating once the issue is resolved.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#43 Rednose

Rednose

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hey guys ;)

I can imagine how angry you are that someone steals what you have worked so hard for !

Greetz, Red.

#44 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Me being an optimist, I suppose that I would find something positive about this whole situation...The fact that they chose MBAM, says something IMO...

However, this is NOT cool... ;) :)

Now they have to deal with the RubbeR DuckY...
-Scott-

“There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!”(Richard Feynman)

#45 Falkra

Falkra

Elite Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Languages : French, Spanish, English.

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

This is being spread in several languages; a lot of websites start to mention it, after reading from here or twitter.

#46 SpiderLover

SpiderLover

Elite Member

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

Wow...
You guys get my full support.

#47 ipl_001

ipl_001

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Languages and Linguistic, Computing, Sciences and Cultures

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

Ethical issues 53

( http://www.mywot.com...obit.com#page-1 )
Gérard Posted Image Posted Image Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred!
Posted Image Posted Image

#48 Corrine

Corrine

• Experts
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

I find it amusing that the rating isn't changing. I guess people are content to leave bad comments, but not to go farther than that. Although I guess I can understand them not wanting to do something that they might have to go back and change later on, assuming they would want to undo their rating once the issue is resolved.

I agree. It only takes a moment to select the Reputation Rating. The comments help but DO NOT affect the rating. If nothing else, stealing another vendor's Intellectual Property certainly has an affect on their trustworthiness and vendor reliability. If you are a member of WOT and posted a comment, but did not select a score on reputation, please go back to the page http://www.mywot.com...obit.com#page-1 and click the link to edit the Reputation rating.

MS_MVP.gif

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted".
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...

#49 unoriginal

unoriginal

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

I usually never post here, but I hope you guys follow through and make them pay for their crime.

#50 Jasper the Rasper

Jasper the Rasper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

The ethical issues have really cancelled out any good comments now.
And it will be interesting to see just how they respond to the allegations because I don't think they can ignore them.

Ethical issues - 67
http://www.mywot.com...bit.com#comment
Member of ASAP

Posted Image
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2007 - Current

#51 chimpy

chimpy

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

I hope people are changing the ratings, I do know that sometimes even though there is alot of red the WOT ratings stay green, I have no idea why this is but I now always read the comments.

#52 evilfantasy

evilfantasy

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

I agree. It only takes a moment to select the Reputation Rating. The comments help but DO NOT affect the rating. If nothing else, stealing another vendor's Intellectual Property certainly has an affect on their trustworthiness and vendor reliability. If you are a member of WOT and posted a comment, but did not select a score on reputation, please go back to the page http://www.mywot.com...obit.com#page-1 and click the link to edit the Reputation rating.

Comments have no effect on the rating. Comments and ratings are separate.

The rating will go red when some more of the regulars change or add their rating. WOT works on a "trust" system. The fewer ratings you have given the less your rating effects the overall. There are a bunch of new raters so it isn't moving the color to yellow or red.

Be careful though and don't sign up new accounts (not saying anyone would) to rate with. That will set the page into "Controversial" mode because of the conflicting ratings and shut down the ability for anyone to rate.

#53 Dr. Apps

Dr. Apps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Building computers, fixing gadgets, helping people solve problems (tech and non-tech) and being a dad.

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Wow, that's crazy! Just saw Bill P's (@billp of WinPatrol) tweet about it (and retweeted).

Now you can't just question the legitimacy of an anti-malware app (i.e. whether it's rogue or not), now you have to worry whether a "legit" app is stealing someone else's work?!? Not good.

I wonder if they'll (IOBit) say anything? I hope you (Malwarebytes team) get this situation resolved to your liking. ;)
Dr. Apps

twitter.com/drapps

#54 Madness423

Madness423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

I have a big fan of mwb.... i have been able to clean up crap on pcs that no other program can do. I have posted in facebook to all my friends to see this and not ot use IOBit software.. everyone use what power you can to help in the fight ;)

#55 roddy32

roddy32

• Experts
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Nascar and Red Sox baseball

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

I would think these people will think about what they have done with all the uproar but unfortunately it is too late already. I have NO idea how good or bad their programs are but that in unimportant now.
Log'n'Rock Computer Security

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2012

#56 Jasper the Rasper

Jasper the Rasper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

I would think these people will think about what is done with all the uproar but unfortunately it is too late already. I have NO idea how good or bad their programs are but that in unimportant now.

They will have to give seriously consideration to what they have done now, because their reputation (if they have a one to start with) will be in tatters as the word spreads wider.
Member of ASAP

Posted Image
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2007 - Current

#57 ipl_001

ipl_001

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Languages and Linguistic, Computing, Sciences and Cultures

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

China - Beijing mar 08 h 35
China - Shanghai mar 08 h 35

They are getting up!
I can hear them yawn already... ;)
Gérard Posted Image Posted Image Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred!

#58 Corrine

Corrine

• Experts
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

Wow, that's crazy! Just saw Bill P's (@billp of WinPatrol) tweet about it (and retweeted).

Not just Bill. Alex posted at SunbeltBLOG: Sunbelt Blog: IOBit accused of stealing Malwarebytes database and the link to his blog post was tweeted from both his account and @sunbeltsoftware

The power of Twitter: http://twitter.com/#search?q=IObit

MS_MVP.gif

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted".
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...

#59 ipl_001

ipl_001

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

Information posted on the French MS Private MVP NewsGroups (microsoft.private.mvp.french.discussions).

PS: 2 am here in Paris. I let you Americans, go on with all this... bye! ;)

#60 g7w

g7w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

First, I would like to extend my gratitude to the folks at Malwarebytes...
MBAM has helped a few friends out in time of need.

I don't travel forums much anymore so don't be surprised if this is my first and last posting.
I do post quite extensively though at the Forums on www.mywot.com
Here's my input about this situation, WOT style

I'll send off emails to every download site that offers IOBit

Did you know they have a RegNow affiliate called: evonsoft.com ?
It's right there in the DNS records. (iobit.net redirects to iobit.com but evonsoft.com shares a-records with the same IP), LOL.

I hate scams, phish's, spam, and malware.
Hope you guys get IOBit shut down for this; yeah... I'm a positive thinker. ;-)

peace,
- G7W

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users