#121 prairie dog

prairie dog

Forum Deity

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

Here's an interesting reply from someone on the Iobit forum:

I do not mean to criticize or oanything, I just wish to make my stance on this known:

I am an independent tech who actively uses neither Malwarebytes nor IObit's Security 360. I do, however, keep tabs on news in the computer security sector.

After hearing this, I decided to do some independent research separate from Malwarebytes and IObit. I used two separate computers, one with Malwarebytes, and one with IObit Security 360. Each were provided with cloned drives to scan completely, with exactly the same spyware on each drive, gathered from various sources.

After scanning with Malwarebytes, and IObit Security 360, I realized a large number of the samples that were caught by Malwarebytes matched exactly the same descriptions as IObit Security 360 had, right down to the names. Other samples were different from each other, yes, but a large sample (maybe 60%) of the spyware that was on the drives had exactly the same descriptions.

Based on my independent research, I find it statistically improbable that IObit Security 360 and Malwarebytes would have exactly the same descriptions and names for detected spyware.

Feel free to ban me for posting the results of my independent research if you wish. It'll only reinforce my findings.

NOTE: I do not wish to cause an argument or anything, just wanted to get my own research results out there.

Avira Antivir Personal and MBAM Pro
On demand: SAS and Hitman Pro
Firewall-Online Armor Premium
FF3-adblock plus, noscript, betterprivacy, WOT, Keyscrambler, TrackMeNot
Sandboxie

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

#122 Madness423

Madness423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

Here's an interesting reply from someone on the Iobit forum:

wow ;)

#123 Matty_R

Matty_R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

Right behind you MBAM, this is a despicable thing to do ;)

I suppose the only positive that can be gleaned from this, as court action is probably going to be very difficult and costly, is that you are going to get a lot of publicity with regards to your product and IObit and going to get the opposite.
This will hopefully expand your customer base and get the word out to a lot more, allthough most who follow security know about you anyway.

The fact they fell into your trap hook, line and sinker shows that they obviously weren`t making much of an effort to hide what they where doing, it`s pretty laughable if it wasn`t so serious!

#124 jeremysbost

jeremysbost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:computers, security, comodo, programming

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

My view/opinion/findings on this whole affair.

Note: I don't use either IObit or Malwarebytes.

#125 Galadriel

Galadriel

• Experts
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

Considering their Advanced System Care - (example log here) app, and the Security 360 app both use/incorporate HijackThis and rebranded it, I am not surprised by all this. Their excuse does not hold water. The evidence is damning.
They've been using shady tactics, and if you think they'll own up, you're all dreaming. They won't. Case in point, they removed the detections, or so they say, of the items you guys pointed out. If that doesn't scream "I'm gonna keep hiding and doing what I do no matter how much you throw at me", I don't know what does.

Curiously reminded of Spybot vs BulletProofSoft. Some of the real oldies around here probably will remember as well. Same thing happened then down to the fake trap defs. The thing is, even if you guys get them delisted and their reputation is ruined, they'll probably open up under another name and start over doing the same thing (except now they know what traps to avoid). All in all, a sad thing. But more proof that you guys are the ones to beat in the anti-malware software coding war. ;)
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

#126 PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:25 PM

My Mother told me that I should never steal what does not belong to me. I loved my Mother, when she was alive, and I still love him and thank him for all his advices!

I'm with you Marcin; look on Sysinternals thread 'Theft of Malwarebytes'database: IMMORAL, ILLEGAL!' here: http://forum.sysinte...s.asp?TID=20958

With Kindest Regards,

PROROOTECT
XP SP2 � 1GB RAM, 13proc, 17svc, IE8 sandboxed.
Look on MalwareTips.com forum ..

#127 formerIobitUser

formerIobitUser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Computers tech.....

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

;) You guys get my full support I used to use Iobit 360 but since i have been using your database without knowing it in 360 i have uninstalled all iobit software.... and bought yours looking forward to using it for a long time... yours former Iobit user.........

#128 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

Talk to Eric and Suzi, get it on the rogue list.

If such happens, it could be targeted by tons of scanners as a rogue tool and removed as such.

#129 pondus

pondus

Elite Member

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

I am now IObit free ;) remover Advanced System Care and Smart Defraggler from all Systems, my new defraggler is http://filehippo.com...oad_defraggler/ :)

Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1…2.

109451_tmb_343479479_2013-07-15_205112.j

#130 Syler

Syler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

I have added my rating to WOT and sent emails to several of the sites hosting it.

Unbelievable ;)

#131 Mystery

Mystery

Elite Member

• Spam Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:Game development, learning computer/internet security in depth, and teaching safe computer usage to beginners and average users of all ages

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

I've been following the developments since the beginning, and I am shocked.
I'm an MBAM user but not affiliated with them, and I make my judgements based on logic and evidence.

The evidence by the MBAM team is very strong, on the other hand I haven't seen any clear and logical explanation provided by IObit, not on their blog and not on their forums.
They pretend that it was some minor mistake by unexperienced staff. -> Not credible, and doesn't explain anything.
They have uploaded new screenshots to prove that those files are not detected with the same name anymore. -> Doesn't explain anything.

What is shocking me now, is that apparently (according to their own words), they have now publicly provided real, active malware to download from their blog (in the Declaration text at the bottom part).
First of all, what kind of practice is this? ;)
Second, what do they want to prove with it?
And, what can be done to force them to take it off? I'm really worried that some curious readers will download it.

After seeing all evidence posted from both parties, my support goes to the MBAM team.

#132 Guest_remixed_*

Guest_remixed_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

In case they're not up to speed, it may worth contacting 'Pc Advisor' mag as they have on a number of occasions featured trials and promo's of IOBit stuff with positive
write-ups.

#133 Suzi

Suzi

• Experts
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

Talk to Eric and Suzi, get it on the rogue list.

If such happens, it could be targeted by tons of scanners as a rogue tool and removed as such.

The rogue list is no longer being updated. It hasn't been since 2007 as is noted at the top of the page.
Suzi

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005 - 2009

#134 catscomputer

catscomputer

Elite Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

"Malwarebytes accuses rival of software theft": http://news.cnet.com...5.html#comments

(Apologies if this link has already been posted, I checked this thread first but couldn't see it anywhere).

SHAME ON IOBit!!! ;)

Win 7 64bit + SP 1
Avast! 9 Free; MBAM PRO; Hitman Pro; Spywareblaster; CCleaner; Sandboxie Free
Main browser: FF (latest stable version) with Adblock+; NoScript; Keyscrambler; Better Privacy; WOT; Ghostery
Spare browsers: Chrome (latest verson) with Adblock+; ScriptSafe; WOT; Ghostery / IE11 with Avast! Online Security

#135 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,249 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

The rogue list is no longer being updated. It hasn't been since 2007 as is noted at the top of the page.

It's a full time job keeping on top of all of the rogues. It's hard for volunteers to maintain such a list these days.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#136 Guest_remixed_*

Guest_remixed_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

http://freeantivirus...d-Download.aspx

The virus scan also found Hijack.DisplayProperties. Interestingly, this is identical to what MalwareBytes Antispyware finds and is not a result of malicious modification

#137 prairie dog

prairie dog

Forum Deity

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

Not sure if anyone posted this, but its on ZDnet as well
Avira Antivir Personal and MBAM Pro
On demand: SAS and Hitman Pro
Firewall-Online Armor Premium
FF3-adblock plus, noscript, betterprivacy, WOT, Keyscrambler, TrackMeNot
Sandboxie

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

#138 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Experts
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

http://forums.iobit....mp;postcount=47

If a court case was necessary, then by all means go for it. Other then that, please stay on topic, and attacking members. This thread accusations for the iobit product, not each other.

:) ;)

speechless..

I want to buy a car!

#139 paula

paula

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

Did you see their replay???

http://blog.iobit.com/archives/95.html

#140 unoriginal