235 replies to this topic

#221 evilfantasy

evilfantasy

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

That's MY opinion and if you disagree the so be it. I don't really care. Try going to Download.com or MajorGeeks and accuse them of being thieves. They are download sites and like it or not 360 is a popular download. MajorGeeks and Download.com have a good relationship not only with Malwarebytes but with IObit as well. The download sites didn't do anything wrong here. If you think they did then that's YOUR opinion. Period.

If you are trying to pin me into a corner with what IObit then do me a favor and give it a rest.

#222 dawn renee'

dawn renee'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

I'm not the most computer savvy, but do know that if the allegations are true about IOBit doing business by pirating from others, (ie: Malwarebytes intellectual property) it stinks and they need to stop NOW! Thought we got beyond copying off our neighbors work in high school, sad commentary about their lives and business practices. I posted this on their forum, wonder how long they'll leave it. Just hope the word keeps going.

#223 DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

The fact still stands, IObit is doing rogue behavior, but are they considered rogue by most security companies? No.

Which means that if there is a demand for a product on CNET or MajorGeeks or Softpedia, it is granted. Until a product has been confirmed to be malware, it will not be removed. Most products that some companies consider spyware - a lot of other companies will not. For example, not every security company considers Ask Toolbar as spyware/adware. Therefore, if there is a demand for it, it will be listed on download sites.

That does not mean I support IObit, it means that download sites need adequate verifiability to consider something removed from their database.

#224 Jim G

Jim G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

The fact still stands, IObit is doing rogue behavior, but are they considered rogue by most security companies? No.

Which means that if there is a demand for a product on CNET or MajorGeeks or Softpedia, it is granted. Until a product has been confirmed to be malware, it will not be removed. Most products that some companies consider spyware - a lot of other companies will not. For example, not every security company considers Ask Toolbar as spyware/adware. Therefore, if there is a demand for it, it will be listed on download sites.

That does not mean I support IObit, it means that download sites need adequate verifiability to consider something removed from their database.

Nope. IObit Security 360 was removed from Majorgeeks and CNet 2 weeks ago, and now they listed the new version of IS360. So I guess that they would test the latest version and they found there is no more problem with the database now, so they agree to list it. I found that in the new version of IS360, the size of definition file is quite different than previous version.

#225 wildman

wildman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

Gee I guess if they don't shop lift in over a week all is forgiven. I think I could find a few individuals who got busted when I worked security in the mall in California who would love that sort of a deal. I still say a thief is a thief, but then again what do I know?

Thanks
Wildman

#226 DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

Nope. IObit Security 360 was removed from Majorgeeks and CNet 2 weeks ago, and now they listed the new version of IS360. So I guess that they would test the latest version and they found there is no more problem with the database now, so they agree to list it. I found that in the new version of IS360, the size of definition file is quite different than previous version.

Whether they were removed or not, demand is demand. Unless you have some sort of fact to back up those statements. There is no half-and-half, Jim G. What if Personal Antivirus were to become clean suddenly, and despite still being detected by all security companies, CNET decides to list it because of being declared clean? The speculation is no longer needed, the facts are stated, and as the administrators have said, just do the testing yourself.

#227 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,015 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

This will be my last warning.

Please tone down your replies and discontinue the banter between Jim G and other parties. Take it offline if you wish to continue in this manner. The next users posting with regard to the original Jim G. discussion will be temporarily banned since they choose not to listen.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#228 Rednose

Rednose

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

Jim G :)

But seriously : Everything has been said, all opinions have been heard. I don't think there is more to add.

Greetz, Red.

#229 wildman

wildman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Simple questions:

(1) What is your definition of a thief?

(2) What do the terms aiding and abetting mean to you?

Thanks
Wildman

#230 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,015 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

User temporarily banned for failure to comply with request posted 2 posts above.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

#231 Slip

Slip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:58 AM

In version iobit 360 1.30 use new database and maybe conflict between mbam and iobit the end.

#232 CatDog

CatDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:10 AM

Hi All,

It seems that some supporters, as well as moderators, of Malwarebytes are displaying some of the same tactics/characteristics that they find objectionable from IObit in this thread. This is unfortunate. :) Supporters of Malwarebytes may also read this forum and some will question some recent comments and and wonder...

Please think about the implications of how you react in your posts!

You may think you are winning the battle but you may just be contributing to loosing the war. :)

Sometimes it is best not to post what you are thinking about; when it deals with subject matter on a personal level.

CatDog

#233 Swandog46

Swandog46

Elite Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

What we deplore in IObit is theft. What we require in our forums is civility.
Doug Swanson
Chief Technical Officer

Posted Image

#234 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

... What we require in our forums is civility.

And a lack of beating a dead horse for that matter. Once each opinion is expressed, there's no need to go back and forth for days arguing the points. :)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#235 MikeW

MikeW

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Time this thread was closed, its no longer serving any purpose; and I doubt it is doing Mbam any good at all.
Win7 Home premium 64bit IE11 MSE Mbam Pro

#236 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,015 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:01 AM

Thank you everyone for your support and input. At this time I'm going to close this topic as it's run it's course now and there does not appear to be anymore relevant material or discussion being offered at this time. If we do have or learn of new information on this subject we'll post again and let you know.

Thank you again everyone.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users