49 replies to this topic

#21 centralkong

centralkong

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

Congrats on this conclusion, Marcin (et al.). I suspected a public apology from IOBit would be impossible, but this is equally humiliating for them.

On a side note, I notified TrendMicro that IOBit is stealing all the functionality of HijackThis in their product.

(Wow, I never thought I could post here along with the author of HijackThis! :D :D )
Now that we know IOBit stole MBAM's database AND HijackThis's functionality, wrapping them in "IOBit Security 360" (or whatever)... what other things could they have stolen too? :S

#22 wildman

wildman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

Glad to read this information. Not only does IoBit need to apologize but so do the outlets who continued to carry their products and still do even after all this had come to light and especially those who did and do so and claimed or claim to be friends of Malwarebytes. I don't however expect this to come about so I call for a boycott of those sites and of course all IoBit products (yes all of them).

Thanks
Wildman

#23 DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

(Wow, I never thought I could post here along with the author of HijackThis! ;) :D )
Now that we know IOBit stole MBAM's database AND HijackThis's functionality, wrapping them in "IOBit Security 360" (or whatever)... what other things could they have stolen too? :S

A few other things. Most of them were small functions of bigger products. I listed them in the IObit debunk thread. (Last story on IObit).

#24 Hardhead

Hardhead

Elite Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

Just thought I would post my say since I haven't posted at any forum about this. :D

Its good that they removed Malwarebytes def files from there database and I think what goes around comes around. I would venture to say that enough damage was done when this was brought to public attention.
I know there has been a lot of hard work that has went into the making of MalwareBytes and it's been a pleasure to be a part of that process. ;)

Posted Image
Member Since 2004
Calendar of Updates?Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Danerd9

Danerd9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

WOT is giving Iobit more and more negative ratings, 97 ethenic Issues comments. 0-o Even the most trusted members of the Iobit forums have left Iobit. Iobit is definetely losing reputation. A good company gone bad. ;) The database is not like what it used to now since it orginally deleted all of it's definitions. Now relying on Iobit for protection is slim. Cheaters don't win. :D

#26 Danerd9

Danerd9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

(Wow, I never thought I could post here along with the author of HijackThis! ;) :D )

WAIT IOBIT STOLE TRENDMICRO's definitions AS WELL!!!!!! :(

#27 Danerd9

Danerd9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:59 AM

IoBit tests were ridicoluos, they compared regular antispyware/antimalware with rogue LOL.

I'm with you and I hope they will apologize even if it seems they are able to deny the obvious.

Hold your heads up Marcin, Bruce and all MalwareBytes' Corporation!

All the best

One test, some guy compared it to Cyberdefender. LOL!!!!

#28 ipl_001

ipl_001

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Languages and Linguistic, Computing, Sciences and Cultures

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hi Marcin,

Very good news indeed!

We often think transnational problems are a nightmare to cope with. I appreciate that Malwarebytes and yourself perfectly dealt with this and that the anti-malware community was behind you all to push.
Alas we need bad news to see a united community but I'm delighted to have gotten such outcome. :D
Gérard Posted Image Posted Image Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred!
Posted Image Posted Image

#29 JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

Congrats on this conclusion, Marcin (et al.). I suspected a public apology from IOBit would be impossible, but this is equally humiliating for them.

On a side note, I notified TrendMicro that IOBit is stealing all the functionality of HijackThis in their product.

-------------------------------------------
This just shows that the consumer must be careful and do lots of research before deciding on the software they install at home

#30 Baz.

Baz.

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

Guys, please lets keep any comments about ethnicity or location out of this.

We do not want to offend any particular group of people who have nothing to do with these accusations.
Kind Regards,

Baz.

#31 marktreg

marktreg

Elite Member

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

WOT is giving Iobit more and more negative ratings, 97 ethenic Issues comments. 0-o Even the most trusted members of the Iobit forums have left Iobit. Iobit is definetely losing reputation. A good company gone bad. ;) The database is not like what it used to now since it orginally deleted all of it's definitions. Now relying on Iobit for protection is slim. Cheaters don't win. :D

Well said, Baz. The point you made is obviously good and valid, but you may be concerning yourself unnecessarily.

WOT actually has 97 'Ethical issues' comments, not 97 'Ethnic issues' comments. Ethnicity is not mentioned at all on the WOT website. So don't worry, Baz. Everything is cool here at the moment. And, hopefully, it will stay that way. :)

#32 DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

It was probably a logical error by Danerd9. I am sure he meant no harm. ;)

#33 marktreg

marktreg

Elite Member

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Yes, I'm certain Danerd9 meant no harm by it. No worries, everything is cool here. ;)

#34 Baz.

Baz.

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

Sorry guys, I should have made it clearer...my comment was not directed towards Danerd9..but another poster whose comment I have removed. :D
Kind Regards,

Baz.

#35 marktreg

marktreg

Elite Member

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Aah, I see. That explains it. I thought you'd gone all paranoid on us for a while there, Baz. LOL. :D

By the way, AVZ is excellent. I use it all the time. I really like its guick process scan with the extened monitoring driver installed. Very useful tool. :D

#36 DimVariable

DimVariable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

I suppose justice has been served, would've like to have seen Malwarebytes get a bit of cash though ;)

#37 Ltangelic

Ltangelic

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Hijack Analysis aka malware removal, horoscopes, music, reading and more...

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

Good job Marcin and the MBAM team and community for exposing this theft, I'm behind you guys a 100% on this one. ;)

Malwarebytes Trusted Advisor

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 Rootschild

Rootschild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

Why most of xxxxx are sly and cheat when doing anything?

Edited by AdvancedSetup, 17 December 2009 - 03:36 AM.
Removed inappropriate comment. Please remain civil when posting

#39 Mark

Mark

Advanced Member

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:56 AM

To Rootschild :

Guys, please lets keep any comments about ethnicity or location out of this.

We do not want to offend any particular group of people who have nothing to do with these accusations.

Wasn't that clear enough ?

unite_blue.png

#40 Blaze

Blaze

Elite Member

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:59 AM

-------------------------------------------
This just shows that the consumer must be careful and do lots of research before deciding on the software they install at home

I agree, I hope TrendMicro will take the necessary steps as well.

Congratulations MBAM team :) .
Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @bartblaze
My blog can be viewed on: http://bartblaze.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users