9 replies to this topic

#1 lefrog

lefrog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

hey guys,

i was infected yesterday and although i have managed to clean the infection and have my pc working again, i now have a problem with internet explorer which won't connect, that also means i cannot get the malewares updates as the program seems to be using internet explorer to connect itself.

i have tried removing ie7 and redownloading it, that didn't work, i then downloaded ie8 that didn't work either, i still cannot connect.

when i try to use mozilla i have no problems, but when i tried to use opera it refused to connect until i changed the proxi settings, my antivirus (avast) had a similar problem, it wouldn't download updates until i changed the proxi settings. So i have tried looking for proxi settings on internet exporer but couldn't find it anywhere (the use proxi setting in intenet options didn't help)

has anybody got the same problem after cleaning up an infection and more importantly does anybody know the answer to that problem?

#2 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:20 AM

Are you sure it set to be ONLINE?

Give this a try and if it doesn't work then I'd suggest following the information on seeking assistance with Malware detection and removal.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the entry below into the run line and click OK
CMD /C NETSH FIREWALL RESET
Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the entry below into the run line and click OK
CMD /C NETSH int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
CMD /C netsh winsock reset catalog

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.
Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 lefrog

lefrog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:30 AM

hi man,

i read those steps on another post so i did try them and still not working.
actually do i need to restart the pc after i di followed those 3 steps?

#4 marktreg

marktreg

Elite Member

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:44 AM

It's always best to restart your computer after you have changed some settings.

Also, in IE, have you made sure that the correct boxes are checked here:

Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings

You should not have a tick in the Proxy server box unless you specifically want to use a proxy server.

#5 lefrog

lefrog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

[hi marktreg,

first i have to say i love your avatar, i was so close to try and move the insect of my screen with my hand

i did go around and changed the lan settings and guess what, it worked, but i did that before i read your message, so i will take the credit for it, not you, but thanx for your help and quick replies to you and advancedsetup it's nice to find a forum where you do get replies within minutes as opose to weeks,

keep up the good work guys

ps: do you know why this happened though? i mean i did get infected but why would it still afect my proxi settings after i removed the infection and after i downloaded 2 different versions of internet explorer

#6 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:05 AM

Are you sure it set to be ONLINE?

I'll go ahead and take credit :(

Seriously though - glad you got it working. It could easily be off by accidental click. On the menu Work Offline is right next to Exit. Bad place to put that I think.

As solution #8 we have you run a reg fix that will set it back to online (most people seem to ignore that though, or don't run it until we go back and forth on it a few times). http://www.malwareby...showtopic=10138

Make sure you update your Anti-Virus and MBAM and scan your system.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

#7 lefrog

lefrog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

nice try man, but it was online, i did check that first,

my whole problem seem to have been related to proxi settings (which changed themselves in my lan settings as well as anywhere else on my pc to be honest)

but you're a nice guy so we'll split the credits 3 ways (that's a good deal isn't it?)

#8 marktreg

marktreg

Elite Member

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

Hi lefrog,

LOL. Yes, my avatar has caused a few people to try to wipe the little 'bug' off their screen. He is my little 'malware bug' and I think he's quite funny. :(

Well done for figuring out the LAN settings problem. I thought it could be a possible 'fix' because it's quite common for malware to change that setting.

By the way, AdvancedSetup is a real expert but I am still only learning. I am allowed to help out in the PC Help forum but not in the actual malware removal forum, so I'm not allowed to give any actual 'malware removal' advice yet.

The reason your proxy settings were still affected after you downloaded two different versions is Internet Explorer is because the proxy settings are stored in the registry and those particular registry keys are not overwritten by a new installation.

Glad we could help.

All the best,

~Mark.

#9 nhhomey

nhhomey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to come on here and let you know I removed AV Security Suite from my girlfriend's computer this morning and ended up with the same internet connectivity problems mentioned here. Under internet options, the proxy settings were "ticked". Unchecking the box allowed the internet to work. I was thinking somehow the boxes get checked due to AVSS.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

#10 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Great, Glad you go it working.
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users