• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 JerryB52

JerryB52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

I want to install MalwareBytes on my computer , but will this conflict with Avast antivirus that I have now???
Thanks... ;)

#2 screen317

screen317

MBAM Sentinel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:15 AM

No it wont. ;) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to complement your antivirus software.
Chris Fistonich
Research Team

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 JerryB52

JerryB52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:40 AM

No it wont. ;) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to complement your antivirus software.

Thank you... ;)

#4 khagaroth

khagaroth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yes, it will, big time (BSODs, freezing etc.). But only if you have the new Avast 5 AND full version of MBAM with realtime protection enabled. No problems with the free version or full version MBAM with realtime protection disabled.

#5 Bunzy

Bunzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

I want to install MalwareBytes on my computer , but will this conflict with Avast antivirus that I have now???
Thanks... ;)

;)
Avast V5.0.377 to present release (.396) is not playing nice with MB real time protection. The system freezes, and will not respond to any commands. Shutdown to re-boot has to be accomplished by PC power button only (not nice). I copied the following processes & files (below) to Avast's exclusions (all settings with exclusion's), as suggested in this forum on another thread, and this problem is still occurring. Avast 4.8 worked perfectly with MB real time protection. Until the Avast team and the MB team work out this conflict, I would stick to using Avast 4.8 with MB.

I am not very tech savvy at all so I have been reading the forums at MB, Avast and other tech sites as well about Malwarebytes and Avast having conflicts. There are numerous reports of this same problem, especially with Windows XP users as well as with Windows 7 and Vista.

I love my MB with real time protection enabled. MB is a great Anti-Malware program and I recommend using it. The free version is just as good but it does not have real time protection. I personally feel naked with out using the real time protection!
I also like the new version 5 of Avast Free as well as past versions but there are kinks to work out with using the two programs together if you use the full version of MB with real time protection enabled. I eagerly await the fix soon!

I hope this post will help.

Here are the processes and files to add to Avast's exclusions:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

PC: Gateway Laptop, 2 GB memory
Programs: MB full (paid) 1.44, Avast Free V5.0.396 (latest release), Comodo Firewall, Win Patrol Plus (latest release), and other Anti-Malware programs set to on demand at present.

#6 YoKenny1

YoKenny1

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:Using computers for learning.
    Happily retired IBMer after 31 years mainly in hardware maintenance.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

Please see my post at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=37726&view=findpost&p=191185

See the attached pictures with the first of WinPatrol Delay Start of MBAM and delaying avast! load at boot up.
E5200 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, avast! V6.0 Free, IE9
P4 2.8GHZ, 1.5GB RAM, 40GB HD, XP Pro SP3, 32-bit, avast! V6.0 Pro, Macrium Reflect
with IE8 and Chrome, hpHosts, MVPS HOSTS files, MBAM Full, OpenDNS, SpeedFan, WinPatrol PLUS

#7 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

I think the protection module in general is the issue. I've tried starting the protection after start up and it still locks up. The only you can do is move the mouse. Everything such as the start menu button,mouse buttons etc don't work. Personally I think the best option is to keep malwarebytes' as on demand until this gets sorted out.

Huh, this is going to be a long debate...

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#8 Jacktivity

Jacktivity

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

To all -

This forum is for comments and suggestions.

As YoKenny has pointed out, there is already a thread in the General forum here - http://forums.malwar...showtopic=37726 for incompatibilities between Avast and MBAM.

I'm going to close this topic. Feel free to take up again on the other thread.
Jack Lewis
Product Support

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users