vipre + malwarebytes + MS security essentials

Hey guys,

Got the killer deal that was offered yesterday ... $14.99 for lifetime updates! Whoo hoo!

I've had some performance issues with trying to use "real-time protection" -- because I've got vipre, ms security essentials, and malwarebytes all installed.

Is there any way to make these programs play nice with each other? Which has the best real-time protection? Vipre has many favorable reviews, but so does malwarebytes.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

First off, you should not run to AV programs active at the same time, it will cause issues. Viper and MSE would fit that category.

I also have heard that Viper and MBAM do not play together very well, but if you enter the right exceptions into it to exclude the MBAM files you should be able to get it to work.

Here are the exceptions:

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

@ diznanl -

Just to add to Firefoxes very good advice re 2 A/V programs -

The below statement is from Sunbelt (VIPRE) Support -

Thank you for contacting Sunbelt technical support. You just need to make sure that no active protection is enabled on malwarebytes this could cause conflicts with VIPRE if you have this on. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Thank you,

Jason Todd

Tier I Consumer Technical Support

I only use MSE now by itself with Malwarebytes -

Regards - :)

Thanks Firefox and noknojon,

I added the malwarebytes exceptions to vipre and will keep MSE installed, but keep active protection disabled... only use it for a once/week scan

Any other info / reviews on whether MSE or vipre real time protection is better would be helpful.

Right now, I'm leaning toward vipre, as it has gotten some good reviews -- and I paid for it, so I want to make use of what I've paid for :)

Any good reviews comparing MSE / Vipre / Malwarebytes active scan or real time protection?

I would prefer you to remove one of these if you have Any future problems -( Personally I would remove VIPRE )- Your VIPRE will still be active even if you only use MSE for once a week scans - Sorry but it is the nature of computers -

keep MSE installed

Thank You -

EDIT - You will also need to add the exclusions to MSE if you have Paid version of Malwarebytes -

Ahh, so you think MSE is better than Vipre? Hmmm... I paid for a year of Vipre and I also paid for the Malwarebytes.

Maybe I'll try MSE out for a while. Vipre has missed a few things, here and there.

Thanks for the tip to add the Malwarebytes exceptions to MSE. I'll do that.

NOTE:

I just restarted the computer with the following settings:

MWB: on and active

MSE: booting but real-time protection off

Vipre: real-time protection on.

I had a huge lag at the startup... somethings awry.

I'll try uninstalling Vipre after I edit the MSE exceptions to work with Malwarebytes

Maybe I'll try MSE out for a while. Vipre has missed a few things, here and there.

I have found MSE has caught a few infections prior to them getting through - In my signature - For a running free program I have found it very good -

As a quick fix Delete MSE for now and come back to it if you cancel VIPRE - MSE is free and always available later - Or Disable VIPRE when you use MSE , as they will clash -

Thanks - :)

Just a note....

No AV is 100% accurate, thats why we used layered protection like in your case, you will use Viper and Malwarebytes.

As far as Viper being better than MSE, well thats a matter of preferance, I know Sunbelt has been dealing with virus removal and detection a lot longer than Microsoft, so its your choice. I do not use either of these....

I have lots of computers, and I use McAfee Corp Edition 8.7i on some, Symantec Endpoint Protection on others, and Etrust on others.... some not by choice....

I've been using Sunbelt products for years and really like them.

One of the best features is that they are VERY responsive (though sometimes you do need to ask to escalate to T2) and they are based in North America, even for their TS. I think they are very committed to their mission, even though they don't have a large market share. Their software has really run well on both my old XP and now my Vista systems, so I rarely need their TS (unlike McAfee). :)

I'm running Counterspy 3.1 (active protection disabled), rather then VIPRE b/c I knew I would have to uninstall the OEM McAfee Security Center for VIPRE. If I were to do so, I would still need a firewall, since VIPRE does not include a FW.

(I'm told Sunbelt is working on a comprehensive suite, and they do offer a standalone FW (Sunbelt Personal Firewall, which is the old Kerio FW)).

So, I have on this Vista box:

McAfee Security Center (FW/AV/AS): active, load at startup

Counterspy 3.1: active protection disabled; scheduled daily QUICK and weekly DEEP scans

MBAM Pro 1.44: active protection "off" at Windows startup (to avoid conflicts with McAfee), but I start the service manually as soon as system has booted (alternatives are a reg import from the MBAM folks that will delay the active pro start, or WinPatrol, which lets you configure any program for delayed start). Even with both MBAM and McAfee running active pro, they seem to play fine.

SuperAntiSpyware Pro: active protection disabled, manual scans only

This setup works for me without apparent conflicts or crashes. :)

I haven't tried MSE b/c of a general aversion to Redmond, but it seems that it does a credible job, according to what I see out at the forums.

Anyway, just a thought -- you might consider downgrading from VIPRE to Counterspy 3.1, which seems to provide a decent added layer of AV/AM even with just on-demand scanning alongside another active security suite?

It is still very much supported by Sunbelt (they update their virus defs several times a day).

And if something were to get past either VIPRE or Counterspy, Sunbelt is great about dealing with it (and FPs).

Just my 2-bucks worth. :)

daledoc1