Windows 7 and Anti-Malware

I've been using Anti-MAlware Free for a while on XP and it workind flawlessly. However I recently installed Windows 7 and have had problems ever since.

I can run a quick scan with no problems. I can run a full scan of every partition apart from C:. When I run a Full scan on C the programme either freezes or throws up a 721 (0,28) error or resets the computer. At first I thought it was because of a specific file as that was where the programme froze. I uninstalled the file that I thought it was and the problem still keeps cropping up. I've read various posts on this forum with similar problems and have followed the advice on them (uninstalling, rebooting, running mbam-clean, rebooting and reinstalling) all to no avail. I have run autoruns.exe and uploaded the autoruns.arn file. Could you please help me. Thanks.

AutoRuns.rar

Greetings and welcome to Malwarebytes :huh:

What anti-virus software do you use? The reason I ask is because aside from some orphaned drivers from Norton Internet Security, I do not see any anti-virus software related entries, only anti-trojan/anti-malware applications which are no substitute as they are designed to supplement the protection you get from an active antivirus solution.

If you no longer have Norton installed then you should first do the following and then install an antivirus, if you need recommendations please let me know and I'll give you a short list of anti-virus softwares that I recommend:

Remove all Norton products:

• Download Norton Removal Tool from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double click on SymNRT.exe to run it and follow the onscreen instructions to proceed
  • Reboot your computer when it finishes to complete the removal process

As for the freezing issue, please try the following to see if it corrects the issue or not:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Please let me know if this resolves the issues and if you would like AV recommendations as I mentioned previously.

Excellent, I wasn't sure as I saw no run entries for NIS, just the service and drivers.

Please try the following:

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Also, when replying, please use the ADDREPLY button instead of " REPLY.

Please let me know if this resolves the problem.

Just done everything that you said. When Anti-malware got to a certain file it got stuck in a loop (file that it was scanning stayed the same but the number of files scanned increased) and then windows threw up the Anti-malware stopped working message.

Please try the following:

Boot into Safe Mode:

• Restart your computer.
  • When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
  • Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
  • Then press Enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Once you're in Safe Mode, open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and try another Full Scan.

Let me know if it still loops/crashes or not.