Malwarebytes Manual Definition - Download

Hello, I know this has been asked in the past as I searched on the topic. I would like to be able to download the definitions for MalWareBytes to install on a computer that doesn't have Internet access, I found this link but the download link just installs a new version of Malwarebytes. I also came across a page that mentioned you can update Malwarebytes on a computer with internet access then copy a definition file to the other computers without internet access, but the location they mention to search for the definition file doesn't exist and I can't find it manually myself.

Hello PowerPenguin, :)

For convenience, I will copy the relevant section you have read first -

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program

1. The download link above is a file called mbam-rules.exe, which is a setup file for putting the rules.def to the default location.
  2. Please ensure that computer has MBAM installed. Click Start the click Run. Copy the whole path (but without "rules.def"), and paste it at the RUN box. Click ok. It will open the folder, and you can find the definitions file there.

Please post back if you have further questions.

Thank you :)

Hello PowerPenguin, :)

For convenience, I will copy the relevant section you have read first -

1. The download link above is a file called mbam-rules.exe, which is a setup file for putting the rules.def to the default location.
  2. Please ensure that computer has MBAM installed. Click Start the click Run. Copy the whole path (but without "rules.def"), and paste it at the RUN box. Click ok. It will open the folder, and you can find the definitions file there.

Please post back if you have further questions.

Thank you :)

I downloaded the file mbam-rules.exe and not only can I not run MalwareBytes anymore without getting the error (Error: 730 (0,0)) but I can't find rules.def ? Argh.

Hello PowerPenguin,

OK, then let's try to reinstall the MBAM to the latest version to see if it can solve the problem then. Please follow the instructions below by choosing the correct version of your system:

For Windows XP:

1. Click on Start and select Control Panel
  2. Open Add/Remove Programs
  3. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  4. Restart your computer very important
  5. Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  6. It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  7. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here. Remember to enable your Anti-Virus after installation.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  2. Click on Programs and Features
  3. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  4. Restart your computer very important
  5. Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  6. It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  7. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here. Remember to enable your Anti-Virus after installation.

Note:

• You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

If it is not successful, can you tell what operating system (XP/ Vista/ 7) and antivirus/ internet security you are using on that computer. In addition, please go to the "More tools" tab of MBAM, press the "Collect Information" button, save it and attach it in the next post.

Please use the "ADDREPLY" button at the bottom of the topic instead of the "QUOTE" or "REPLY" ones.

Thank You :)

Edit - changing one instruction.

Hi PowerPenguin,

Did you try replacing rules.ref on the infected/unable to update machine with an updated copy of rules.ref from a clean, working machine as outlined here in

Issue #4:?

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=49525

Also what OS (XP, Vista, 7, or 2000) are you running?

Most likely you need to show hidden files/folders in order to get to where rules.ref is, and I can give you instructions if you need them on how to do this. :)

Did you try replacing rules.ref on the infected/unable to update machine with an updated copy of rules.ref from a clean, working machine as outlined here in

Issue #4:?

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=49525

I followed the instructions on that page, there is no rules.ref even when I show hidden files in the /program_files/malwarebytes folder. The link you provided mentions to look within this folder, there is no ProgramData Folder that I can see.

# Windows Vista and Windows 7:

# C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Here are the correct locations for all Malwarebytes file locations on 64 vit version of windows.....

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I see rules.ref in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on my Windows 7 64-bit system.

Have you taken Ownership of the file?

post-100-1276123086_thumb.png

I honestly don't have a ProgramData folder. This installation of Windows7 did not create one.

Go back and read and follow gtyhfy's Post #4

You are using an Administrator Account to do this?

Hello PowerPenguin :)

To do what AdvancedSetup suggested

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

Click on the Start post-31116-1276128790_thumb.jpg button and select Computer

# Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools

# Select Folder Options

# Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

# Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

# Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known file types

# Click Apply then click OK

Now see if Program Data is there

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

Click on the Start post-31116-1276128790_thumb.jpg button and select Computer

Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools

Select Folder Options

# Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

# Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

# Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known file types

# Click Apply then click OK

Hello PowerPenguin.

This is another way to Set Folder options to show all hidden files and folders on Windows 7:

• Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, and then click Folder Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK. & Apply changes

Hello PenguinPower,

First, are you the same person as PowerPenguin? If yes, please stick with only one account as it make all of us in this thread confused.

Then, I would like to have one thing for you to do on the computer:

Please go back to my post #4, and do the things that I've told you to you after the clean install instruction and the request of software information. I quote it here for convenience.

...In addition, please go to the "More tools" tab of MBAM, press the "Collect Information" button, save it and attach it in the next post.

In the quote, "it" means the text file (log) generated.

You may replace the username(s) in the log with "xxxxx".

Thank you.

I've fixed the problem :P What was the problem ? The installation that I had done approx two weeks ago somehow didn't install properly there for I wasn't finding the rules.ref file but I did find my ProgramsData file, a clean install fixed it :P

I have a question which of these are infected files and which can I keep ?

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\hkcu (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\hklm (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:

(Generic.Bot.H) -> No action taken.

(Bifrose.Trace) -> No action taken.

UuU.uUu (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

XxX.xXx (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

Hello PowerPenguin,

Glad to hear you solve the problem. Sometimes a clean install of MBAM solves the problems, so I give the clean reinstall instructions quite often (as in my post #4) :P

If you are not quite sure whether they should be deleted, you can have a free diagnostic by following the instructions below. One of the expert helpers will look at the logs and tell you whether they are clean. :P

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in this forum, please follow the directions below.

• Please print out, read, and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • After posting your new topic, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options (prefer Immediate Email Notification) so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • Please be patient when waiting for an expert help as the expert helpers can get a bit busy.
  • Please try not to post back (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours. Expert helpers will find the topics which has a zero post count first. By doing so, expert helpers may think the topic is replied and jump to other posts.
    If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply the topic for asking help again or send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.
  • Please do not alter the system (eg install or uninstall any software/ conduct some fixes) after posting unless it is told by the expert helper.Altering the system makes the expert more complicated about the picture of your system.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here. Please remember to quote your cleverbridge Reference Number from the confirmation e-mail when requesting assistance.

Thank you :P

Hello PowerPenguin :P

I am happy to hear that your updating and rules.ref issue has been resolved!!

Please do follow gtyhfy's directions above :angry: