Making Malwarebytes Portable ?

Hi guys, i'm fairly new in using Malwarebytes soft and i"m loving it, i use it a lot on a lot of systems.

Usually i create a selfextracting exe of apps so i can easily use it on different systems without having to install it. I wanted to do this for Malwarebytes too but i seem to be running into problems with the VB runtimes. I tried regsvr'ing the OCX and dll files and that didn't work.

Can anyone help me out ?

In short, what i want to do and the way you can reproduce the problem i'm having is copy the Malwarebytes folder to a computer where malwarebytes isn't installed and try to start it there.

Any suggestions ?

Thx !

Hmm i can't get it to work, here is what i do , i copy the full Mallwarebytes directory to a pc where the program hasn't been installed yet

then i install VB Runtime (vbrun60sp6)

then i regsvr32 vbalsgrid6.ocx and mbamext.dll and ssubtmr6.dll , when i try to run Mbam then i still get an error :

---------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Er is een fout opgetreden. Geef aub de volgende foutcode door aan het Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware support team.

(translation : an error occured : please refer to the following errorcode when contacting the anti malware support team)

Error code: 723 (2, 0)

OK

Any Suggestions ?

Thx :D

MBAM isn't portable (yet?). It probably will be once it gets further along in development and is re-coded in C, but until then, it will not run the way you want, you just have to install it. There is a custom made portable version out there that someone made, but you can't update it because if you do, it just tries to install the new version from the web normally. The other issue (for me at least) is the fact that even the portable version starts a service in the background (I'm guessing because it's based on the pro version and not the free one) and the only way to remove the portable one is to actually reboot the PC because the service can't be killed through the task manager or using the taskkill command, heck I even tried unlocker and that didn't work either, so if I have to reboot anyway, why not just insall the free version to scan and then uninstall it when done. There certainly are more steps involved, but I use a batch file to automate the install along with automatically copying the newest definitions file from my flash drive to the proper directory then use the scan command built in to MBAM then have it run the uninstaller once it's done. Takes more time, but it's still nice and automated and for a clean PC it's worth it.

Hey Rubberducky, can i find a error message list somewhere ? Cause now i'm getting another error message :

Error 718 is the one i'm getting now

thx

(oh yeah, another question, is it possible to define a custom location for the ref file ? now it's being placed in "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" , for portability reasons i would like it to be in the folder where i launch the app, is this possible via a registry key ? )

• 2 weeks later...
Ummm...someone should check and see if that's a TROJAN!

Jim

Watch the vid at www.GuaranteedPCFIX.com/news before you falsly accuse me. The source code is above, you are welcome to compile your own, I am just trying to help.

I have used it on 7 computers today at work so far, it gets an error, "Error 731: Adding item to results list failed. Contact support. " when it finds malware but it cleans and works fine other than that.

Well this is a security forum. What do you expect? Post 1 users pimping a custom "build" of security software? Without any sort of official approval! Enthusiastic welcome? ;) More like paranoia is what you get :)

VT link posted by Hardhead obly shows one thing: only heuristic detections from apps that almost always give them, meaning this could still be trojan just one unknown to most vendors.

I would rather not this PORTABLE version be publicisied. It goes against EVERYTHING I had planned for this project. If you want to use it for yourself, go ahead, but please, do not spread the word about it.

Sorry but when I read your post here,

Error code: 723 (2, 0)

mbam.sys and mbamswissarmy.sys are missing from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

And with you being the main man, I thought you were cool with it.

I will remove my post.

As for the rest of you, DUDE! I MAKE SECURITY SOFTWARE.. www.CPULOCK.com.. what you are accusing me of is as bad as saying Marcin is making trojans!

I was just trying to help, and I AM one of the good and honest guys.

As for the rest of you, DUDE! I MAKE SECURITY SOFTWARE.. www.CPULOCK.com.. what you are accusing me of is as bad as saying Marcin is making trojans!

Never even heard of you, or your software ;) I do frequent some forums etc. and I have never come across any references to either you or your software :) So, no it's not as bad. I know people behind MBAM by reputation, I don't know you :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mind sharing? ;)

You can find the database in the following places:

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

MBAM isn't portable (yet?). It probably will be once it gets further along in development and is re-coded in C, but until then, it will not run the way you want, you just have to install it. There is a custom made portable version out there that someone made, but you can't update it because if you do, it just tries to install the new version from the web normally. The other issue (for me at least) is the fact that even the portable version starts a service in the background (I'm guessing because it's based on the pro version and not the free one) and the only way to remove the portable one is to actually reboot the PC because the service can't be killed through the task manager or using the taskkill command, heck I even tried unlocker and that didn't work either, so if I have to reboot anyway, why not just insall the free version to scan and then uninstall it when done. There certainly are more steps involved, but I use a batch file to automate the install along with automatically copying the newest definitions file from my flash drive to the proper directory then use the scan command built in to MBAM then have it run the uninstaller once it's done. Takes more time, but it's still nice and automated and for a clean PC it's worth it.

For you last statement of how you install, copy defs, scan & uninstall from a batch file, will you share your batch file commands? -- Thanks

Sure, this one updates MBAM and grabs the updated signatures from a machine that has MBAM installed on it already to be installed on the infected machine:

"%systemdrive%\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbam.exe" /runupdate
copy "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref" "%cd%"

This one installs the program, copies over the new definitions, then runs a quick scan:

mbam-setup.exe /verysilent
echo y| cacls "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes" /G %username%:F
copy "%cd%\rules.ref" "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"
"%systemdrive%\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /quickscanterminate

• 2 weeks later...