MBAM won't install

Good Afternoon,

Love MBAM. I am, however, having an issue with a laptop that has some really nasty infections. The system will not allow MBAM (or Spybot for that matter) to install. When you click the exe to install it simply does nothing. Additionally it will not allow you to load the Malwarebytes webpage. Other exe files run fine and other web pages display fine. Any suggestions on where I should start the search (in Windows) to resolve this would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Eric

Good Afternoon,

Love MBAM. I am, however, having an issue with a laptop that has some really nasty infections. The system will not allow MBAM (or Spybot for that matter) to install. When you click the exe to install it simply does nothing. Additionally it will not allow you to load the Malwarebytes webpage. Other exe files run fine and other web pages display fine. Any suggestions on where I should start the search (in Windows) to resolve this would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Eric

Could it be that some malware has messed up you hosts file?

• 5 months later...

There appears to be a new "smarter" version of spywareguard 2008, that will not allow the installation of any program that can clean the machine. I was able to run the Norman scanner, but it doesn't appear to clean this version.

Has anyone been able to find the hidden executable that keeps replacing all the files and reg entries that get deleted by the tools/manual removal?

I found the DLLs in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internat Explorer\DLLs folder, and have set the File Permission to Deny for all accounts but one Admin account. I am not sure if this can be done on XP Home. I also had to take ownership of the files, as the permission had been set based on the user account that was logged on when the malware installed itself. I am now able to logon with a limited user account, without spywareguard starting up, but I still cannot get malwarebytes to install. The executable launches (RunAs), and then disappears. I will let Norman Malware Cleaner run all night, and see if it can repair it further.

I hope this helps someone smarter than me to run this to ground.

gap

• Root Admin

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system if required

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

As a followup... Norman only found popcaploader. I deleted all files and reg keys it created, and then went to C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\dlls and deleted all files in the folder using runas cmd with the only account that had rights to that folder.

I can now install valid anti-spyware software. The bad thing is, BSODs while running the scans. :) More research.

gap

• 2 years later...

renaming the file did not work in my case, in fact once i did this and tried to install the "fake scan" would begin. since im still able to use task manager im able to cut off the scan, and i can open the Internet (with some difficulty) how would you suggest i take care of this?

virus displays a fake "XP SECURITY 2012" and "infected with trojan bnk.win32" message and runs dual re-curring processes "JRE.exe" and "wscntfy.exe" the latter one restarts immediately upon task being ended, which does not allow me time to attempt to install after deactivating process through task manager like some virus have in the past.

if it matters this all started happening after a "java 6" textbox encompassing only the java name and some loading progress dots poped up after an errant click.