13 replies to this topic

#1 ricop1

ricop1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

i cannot update malwarebytes. when i run the update i get an error that says:

An error has occured. Please report this error code to our support team.

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (122, 0, MultiByteToWideChar)

the data area passed to a system call is too small.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling and reinstalling from safe mode, no matter what i do i can not get it to update the program. Please help I am not sure what else to try.

thanks

#2 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

Please try the following to see if it helps: (this is the correct way to do a clean re-install)

Windows XP:
  • Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • Click on the Start Posted Image button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 dougham

dougham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

I have the same problem
If I disable the firewall it updates OK.
I've enabled mbam, mbamgui and mbamservice in the firewall, but still get the same error.

#4 Haider

Haider

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

Hello dougham: :)

Which firewall you are using, is it a part of any security suite? Version of Windows please
"Learning is the only thing the mind never exhausts, never fears, and never regrets"

#5 dougham

dougham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:04 AM

It is CA firewall, the complete Internet Security Suite, running under XP SP3.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:12 AM

Hi -
This is the only information I have on CA Surity Suite at this time -

CA 2010
Open 'My Internet' section.
If so open that up and click 'View Settings'.
Look for 'Identity Protection'
Scroll down to 'Trusted and Untrusted Sites'
Paste in the following:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
Tick 'Trusted Site-always allow'
Click 'Add'
Click 'Apply' and reboot
See if that helps
-------------------
In CA ISS 2007 and 2008:
Open the CA Personal Firewall GUI;
Click the 'Privacy' icon;
On the tab: "Internet Browser Protection", click the "Manage Sites" button;
In the 'manage sites' dialog box, click "Add";
In the 'URL' field, paste this URL:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
In each tab of that dialog box, make sure that no boxes are checked;
Click OK;
On the 'manage sites' dialog box, click 'Close";
Close CA Personal Firewall GUI.

2007 Identity Protection:
Open GUI
Click 'Privacy' button
On the left side, click 'Manage Sites' button
At the top right side, add the following url:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
Click 'Ok' close software
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#7 Wuds

Wuds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hello,
Please pardon the intrusion; but I had the same problem, with the same error message. (That's how I found this thread with the forum's search engine.)

I am setting up an off-lease HP business desktop pc (XP Pro OS) that I just purchased as a replacement for the grandkids machine. I had installed the "Avast!" free antivirus program and had set mbam.exe as an exemption to try to fix the problem. The update still didn't work. (I received similar results with updating the "SuperAntiSpyware" program that I also installed to see if it would update.)

I had incorrectly assumed that, since I didn't activate the CA Internet Security (that was pre-installed), it was not working. I was wrong.
I just now uninstalled it (through Control Panel), and after rebooting the computer both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware updated just fine, with no error messages.
As a bonus, the computer is working 100 times faster than it was with the CA anti-virus software installed.

Thanks Malwarebytes forum for the ideas!

Good Computing to You All!

Wuds

#8 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hi Wuds -
Just an extra to your addition - Please contact us if you have any problems with Avast + Malwarebytes -
The 2 usually exist well together with the new update 5 of Avast -
The full list of exemptions if required -
Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well
For Windows XP:
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
For Windows Vista or Windows 7:
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Thank you -
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#9 TM859

TM859

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

I'm having the same problem, and getting the same error code. I tried the suggestions in this thread (uninstalling and reinstalling the Malwarebytes software and adding the site noted in one of the responses to CA's trusted sites) and I'm still not having any luck updating Malwarebytes. Still getting the same error message. I'm running Windows XP SP3 with CA Internet Security Suite 2010. By the way, this is a fairly recent problem as I've been able to update in the past. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

#10 bluefeenix444

bluefeenix444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

I too cannot update Malwarebytes. I am running version 1.44 and using Windows Vista.

When trying to update, I get error message: "Error Code: 732 (0,0)". Can anyone help?

#11 TM859

TM859

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

I'm having the same problem, and getting the same error code. I tried the suggestions in this thread (uninstalling and reinstalling the Malwarebytes software and adding the site noted in one of the responses to CA's trusted sites) and I'm still not having any luck updating Malwarebytes. Still getting the same error message. I'm running Windows XP SP3 with CA Internet Security Suite 2010. By the way, this is a fairly recent problem as I've been able to update in the past. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATE: The post previous to mine mentioned adding files to the A/V and firewall exclusions list for another security software program, so initially, it was the one thing I didn't do that was suggested in this thread since I didn't think it applied to CA 2010. But then I found a similar post that advised performing the same process in CA 2010. Once I added those noted exclusions to my CA A/V (under My Computer/Threat Settings) and firewall (under My Computer/Program Access (adds only the EXE files)), it still didn't work until I took it one step further. To get to advanced program permissions, I had to hit the Edit button on the MBAM.EXE and MBAMGUI.EXE files under My Computer/Program Access. I then checked off the first four items and hit Apply. Not sure if I needed to check off all four of those items, but I wanted those settings in any case--you may want to test each one individually to see what works and what doesn't. It appears these advanced permissions are the crux of the matter--at least there were in my case. Also, I don't know why I had 4-5 instances of each EXE file in the list under Program Access, but I didn't remove them and performed the Edit on each instance. No reboot was required after performing these operations. Once completed, Malwarebytes updated successfully. After spending most of the evening trying to figure this out, I hope this helps someone else before they spend too many hours on this issue.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:03 AM

Hi to all CA sufferers -
I have downloaded CA Security Suite on my Win 7 laptop - Worst mistake I think I ever made -
First it insisted I uninstall MBAM just so it would install - OK , I have a spare copy in My Documents so I uninstall the one they want me to -
Actually I did not uninstall it , CA uninstalled it as part of the process just to install their product -
By now you may think I wasted $100 or so - Wrong , this was only a Trial Version to assist members here -
Then I visited their forums to get a feel of what their own users thought - The first item was This One where several of their site Moderators just quit the job due to lack of support - Most of the forum was similar with no responses to many basic questions - At least here we attempt to give some useful answers - I also agree with the poster who said the computer slows to a crawl - It does - This item may get removed (as per forum guidelines) but now I sympathise with all the CA users trying to use other products -
Now I just need to Fully uninstall it - I hope that is easier than installing -

Thank You -

#13 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

@ bluefeenix444 -
Your problem is just an outdated version of the program - Please follow the directions below -
Current version is V 1.46 - Update is 4690 at this time -
Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here
It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important
After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Paid version only
Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.
You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

#14 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,101 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:55 AM

For those of you that have removed your Anti-Virus it is not recommended to leave it off. You need an Anti-Virus as our product Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an Anti-Virus product. It augments an AV product to help detect and prevent infections.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users