42 replies to this topic

#21 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

I take that back. My virtual machine just froze after a minute or two. Very odd...

This is interesting. The system freezing may not be a compatibility issue with AVG's anti-virus engine, but instead with their LinkScanner component which protects you from visiting malicious websites. It's possible that it is conflicting with our IP blocking. I will have to do some more testing to verify this.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#22 MikeRepairsComputers

MikeRepairsComputers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

here are more details... This is my personal computer only 3 weeks new.
Win7 Pro 64bit, 6G ram, Intel i7 950, 128G SSD drive.
Had AVG free 9.0.856 and MBAM 1.46 paid version with exceptions in AVG so MBAM was working good.

Installed avg_free_x64_all_2011_1120a3152.exe
---------------------

Why does the 64 bit version install to Program Files (x86)??
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\

Install failed uninstalling AVG 9 with error:

Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.MFC,version="9.0.30729.4148",publi cKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture ="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070091. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {AFA 31654-361E-33B5-9ED5-049A6889325C }

Tried again:
--------------
uninstalled AVG 9 from program uninstall menu
Installed 2011 again...
computer froze up after it installed and was updating (conflict with MBAM realtime?).
Had to reboot.
no avg icon in tray
no uninstall avg icon in "uninstall programs"
open avg icon on desktop and get error "key is not activated" (probably just did that because the program was not loading correctly)

Try to reinstall AVG 2011 again to see if it can repair itself:
----------------
Product: AVG 2011 -- Error 1921. Service 'AVG WatchDog' (avgwd) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services.

I restored the whole system drive C with last nights Acronis backup because I do not like tht messed up install that could not be uninstalled.

Back to AVG 9 indefinitely, or try Avast? I am trying Avast on a test system, is Avast compatible with MBAM realtime?
Computer Service Technician (Malwarebytes Reseller)

#23 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

... is Avast compatible with MBAM realtime?

Yes. Both avast! and AntiVir are compatible with our protection module. Microsoft Security Essentials is as well, but only if you add exclusions to MSE so that it leaves our files alone.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#24 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

This is interesting. The system freezing may not be a compatibility issue with AVG's anti-virus engine, but instead with their LinkScanner component which protects you from visiting malicious websites. It's possible that it is conflicting with our IP blocking. I will have to do some more testing to verify this.

Well, it took longer to freeze after disabling LinkScanner, but it still froze. Very strange.

#25 Porthos

Porthos

True Member

• Malware Hunters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

We also sell your Malwarebytes software to most of our customers, is there a faster way to add these exceptions to AVG, Norton, or Microsoft Security Essentials?

I also sell MBAM and pair it with MSE. I use a registry file to add the exclusions before installing MSE.

For XP...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Exclusions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Exclusions\Extensions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Exclusions\Paths]
"C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"=dword:00000000
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Malwarebytes"=dword:00000000
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\drivers\\mbam.sys"=dword:00000000
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\drivers\\mbamswissarmy.sys"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Exclusions\Processes]
"C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\\mbam.exe"=dword:00000000
"C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\\mbamgui.exe"=dword:00000000
"C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\\mbamservice.exe"=dword:00000000

#26 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

OK, here's a list of everything I've tried so far, and note that none of it has worked to resolve the issue:
  • Added files from MBAM to the Resident Shield Exclusions list in AVG 2011.
  • Added files from MBAM to the PUP Exceptions list in AVG 2011.
  • Added files from MBAM to the Identity Protection Allowed list in AVG 2011.
  • Disabled LinkScanner in AVG 2011.
  • Disabled Identity Protection in AVG 2011.
  • Disabled IP Protection in MBAM.
I don't see anything else I can disable/edit in the AVG 2011 settings that may help resolve the issue. Our QA department will have to pursue this further with our development team, and see if they can find the cause.

#27 MikeRepairsComputers

MikeRepairsComputers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

Related topic at AVG forum
http://forums.avg.co...521#post_110521

#28 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

Try to disable the resident shield from AVG -
This seems to be the only added issue that is causing problems -
AVG seems to state that their new version is "closer" to MBAM and they only want you to use the one product in real time -
It works OK with the free version , but seems it is only the Shield that is the problem at this time ??

EDIT -

AVG 2011 is a combined real time anti-virus / anti-spyware protection. Even an FAQ relating to Windows Defender, which is disabled with the install of AVG, states it is generally not recommend to use more than one security product on one computer.... Have a look @ FAQ #2672 http://www.avg.com/w...m-2672#num-2672.

It seems that AVG has now decided to only let you use their program and you must remove all others now ---
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#29 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

EDIT -
It seems that AVG has now decided to only let you use their program and you must remove all others now ---

That's not good at all. If I were still using AVG that would be enough to make me (this is my opinion) drop them, unless of course they fixed the problem in a timely manner. No way do I or would I want to go without Malwarebytes ever again.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#30 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Is it Malwarebytes free or paid for version. If it's the latter this has realtime (residential) protection which should be disabled.

Based on this it seems that either we lose customers or they will -
AVG no longer wants ANY other A/Malware or Firewall used with their program (not even your M/soft firewall) -
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#31 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

AVG no longer wants ANY other A/Malware or Firewall used with their program (not even your M/soft firewall) -

If avg wishes to do this, just junk them. :) They are risking users for the sake of money. :) :) :) Don't trust any company that does this. By putting you at risk, you could have identity theft at the cost of them making a buck. :)

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#32 IT Expert

IT Expert

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Infection Detection & Removal, Developing & Programming of websites, Helping solve computer issues, American Muscle Cars, Big Block Chevys, Computer Gaming, Battlefield 2

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:17 AM

I sure hope this issue can be fixed, I sell both AVG anti-virus & Mbam to my customers. Realistically not 1 program will ever be 100% at protecting the system and thats why its recommened to secure with layers of protection. If AVG can not get over this fact then this maybe the time I will have to give my users a choice, pick one or the other. This doesn't seem like the most logically solution.... Kicking AVG to the curb could be one option, how ever a lot of my customers love AVG and renew it religiously through me which would mean loss profits, they need to fix this issue before this causes some serious down time and customer loss
Malwarebytes Reseller

#33 MikeRepairsComputers

MikeRepairsComputers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

@IT Expert, You can skip AVG 2011 for a few months while AVG 9 is still supported.

I am switching from AVG to Avast 5 right now though.
http://forums.malwar...showtopic=63857

#34 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Our VP of Development has informed me that version 1.47 (which we hope to be able to release within the next few weeks) will contain some new technology that should alleviate compatibility issues like this. Once I get my hands on the beta I will make certain to test it with AVG 2011. :welcome:

#35 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

Excellent news, GT.

Thanks for letting everyone know :welcome:

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#36 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

Excellent news, GT.

Thanks for letting everyone know :lol:

You're quite welcome. Always glad to post good news. :welcome:

#37 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

;) :lol: :welcome:

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tony Robbins

#38 Firefox

Firefox

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

Boy that version 1.47 sure does sound like its going to have a lot of cool new features and fixes.... Can't wait for it to come out.

post-2065-0-92797800-1392234217.jpg

Dell Precision T7500, Win7 Ultimate 64bit fully updated, McAfee Corp Edition v8.8,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5606CPU, Dual Quad Core Processors, 16GB Ram,
E5606 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia Quadro NVS420, Raid-1 Dual 1TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives
Dual DVD Burners, IE10, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#39 Eric Hutchins

Eric Hutchins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

Well thats some good news, is there any ETA on the release of the beta/full version of 1.47?

#40 myez

myez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Until this week AVG free and Malwarebytes Paid have been a good solution for protection, but since AVG 2011 free was released cant stop lock ups. I experienced the same problem trying to use Malwarebytes and Panda Antivirus together. Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem or if I need to go shopping yet again for a good Antivirus software to run with Malwarebytes.

I'm using Avira Antivir together with Malwarebytes and I have no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users