• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

There doesn't seem to be any problems with Malwarebytes 1.5 being used along side McAfee IS 2010, I have used the firewall exclusions as before and delayed the start up of Malwarebytes.
This version isn't like the last version of Malwarebytes which clashed something awful.
I'll play around with the settings of both programs to see if any problems arise.

#2 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,036 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for testing and letting us know :D
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hi.
I'm sorry to say that the same problems with using Malwarebytes and McAfee 2010 have started again with the computer locking up when using McAfee. The problems only occur when Malwarebytes is fully enabled.

#4 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,036 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thank you for reporting that. We will look into it.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#5 MattsComputers

MattsComputers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:22 AM

Hi hwedin

If you feel confident in editing the registry please give my suggestion a try:
http://forums.malwar...mp;#entry336557

The system in question had MBAM 1.46 installed. But the settings should be exactly the same for 1.50. It certainly resolved my conflicts with McAfee 2010 on that system. (specs: Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.2GHz, 4gb RAM, running Win XP Home SP3)

I know it is a tedious process adding those registry values manually. It would be great if McAfee would reinstate the ablility to add exclusions like most security software but I doubt that will happen.
Posted Image

#6 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Hi hwedin

If you feel confident in editing the registry please give my suggestion a try:
http://forums.malwar...mp;#entry336557

The system in question had MBAM 1.46 installed. But the settings should be exactly the same for 1.50. It certainly resolved my conflicts with McAfee 2010 on that system. (specs: Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.2GHz, 4gb RAM, running Win XP Home SP3)

I know it is a tedious process adding those registry values manually. It would be great if McAfee would reinstate the ablility to add exclusions like most security software but I doubt that will happen.

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I'm not running McAfee at the moment, so I'll reinstall McAfee I will also uninstall Malwarebytes and reinstall once McAfee is installed. So I should be able to let you know if worked.

Regards

#7 MattsComputers

MattsComputers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I'm not running McAfee at the moment, so I'll reinstall McAfee I will also uninstall Malwarebytes and reinstall once McAfee is installed. So I should be able to let you know if worked.

Regards

No problem! Hope it works for you. When you do try it could you please post your system specs? Amount of RAM, CPU speed, OS.

Something which may be relevant is that I did not install site advisor. Everything else was installed as per the McAfee defaults.
Posted Image

#8 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

No problem! Hope it works for you. When you do try it could you please post your system specs? Amount of RAM, CPU speed, OS.

Something which may be relevant is that I did not install site advisor. Everything else was installed as per the McAfee defaults.

Hi
I can't seem to be able to edit the registry it just says denied but I have been able to edit the registry to delay Malwarebytes start up, any suggestions?
In answer to your question my laptop is running XP Pro SP3, 1GB of RAM and Intel Pent Dual core 1.73GHz

#9 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hi
Forgot to login as admin so I have managed to edit the registry, but computer keep freezing so uninstalled Malwarebytes and everything is fine. Will reinstall and see if that helps.

Attached File  untitled.bmp   2.93MB   16 downloads
Here is the registry edits I think that they are OK

Regards

#10 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

What happens if you add McAfee's folder in "C:\Program Files" to the ignore list in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#11 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

What happens if you add McAfee's folder in "C:\Program Files" to the ignore list in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

Hi

I have just tried this and the problems still continue unfortunately.

Regards

#12 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

I can't seem to be able to edit the registry it just says denied but I have been able to edit the registry to delay Malwarebytes start up, any suggestions?

Have you tried turning off McAfee while editing those registry entries? It may also be necessary to start Windows in Safe Mode.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#13 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Have you tried turning off McAfee while editing those registry entries? It may also be necessary to start Windows in Safe Mode.

Hi

Yes, I edited the entries with McAfee switched off and in safe mode.

Regards

#14 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

Yes, I edited the entries with McAfee switched off and in safe mode.

It may be a permissions issue.

Before doing what I am about to suggest, please make a backup of your registry. The easiest way is to create a new System Restore Point, or use a utility such as ERUNT.

At this link you will find a Microsoft TechNet article on modifying registry permissions. Please do not try to change those permissions yet. All I want right now is just to know what the permissions are set for on those registry keys. I'll let you know if anything needs changed. make sure to hit 'Cancel' when closing the permissions dialogs, so that no changes will be saved.

#15 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

It may be a permissions issue.

Before doing what I am about to suggest, please make a backup of your registry. The easiest way is to create a new System Restore Point, or use a utility such as ERUNT.

At this link you will find a Microsoft TechNet article on modifying registry permissions. Please do not try to change those permissions yet. All I want right now is just to know what the permissions are set for on those registry keys. I'll let you know if anything needs changed. make sure to hit 'Cancel' when closing the permissions dialogs, so that no changes will be saved.

Hi

The permissions are:
-Administrator; Allow; Full Control; Read
-Creator Owner; Allow; Special Permissions
-Power Users; Allow; Read; Special Permissions
-Me; Special Permissions
-System; Full Control; Read
-Users; Read

There are no denials

Regards

#16 GT500

GT500

Mostly Cantankerous

• Trusted Advisors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

OK, chances are that it may not be allowing you permission to write. Making sure to back up your registry before doing this, open those permissions back up, and then for your user account go ahead and put a check in the box for "Full Control". Then go ahead and see if you can make the registry changes that 'MattsComputers' linked to.

#17 hwedin

hwedin

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

OK, chances are that it may not be allowing you permission to write. Making sure to back up your registry before doing this, open those permissions back up, and then for your user account go ahead and put a check in the box for "Full Control". Then go ahead and see if you can make the registry changes that 'MattsComputers' linked to.

Hi

Changed the permissions and entered the new values and added McAfee to the ignore tab in Malwarebytes but the clash still continues.

Regards

#18 MattsComputers

MattsComputers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hi
Forgot to login as admin so I have managed to edit the registry, but computer keep freezing so uninstalled Malwarebytes and everything is fine. Will reinstall and see if that helps.

Attached File  untitled.bmp   2.93MB   16 downloads
Here is the registry edits I think that they are OK

Regards

Can't see any problem with your registry edits... All looks good to me.

One thing I wonder about is amount of RAM. Maybe 1gb isn't enough? I'll see if I can setup a test machine with 1gb and see how it performs.

Is it freezing during normal use? Such as opening up programs or is it when you try to do a scan?
Posted Image

#19 MattsComputers

MattsComputers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:00 AM

Ok so I have managed to do a bit of testing this afternoon.

My test rig is an old AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with 1gb Memory. I am using MBAM version 1.46. Will switch to the beta later. I have delayed the start of MBAMGUI.

McAfee IS 2010 is installed and updated. I simply did the default install for everything this time including Site Advisor. When it was all installed I then did the registry exclusions as per my previous posts. I then enabled MBAM resident.

I have experienced no freezing at all running normal windows programs or opening Internet Explorer and visiting various sites.

However running a quick scan with McAfee does cause the system to stop responding every time I tried to run it. It never gets started. The icon spins around but it never progresses past 0%! System is perfectly stable as long as I don't try a scan in McAfee.

I am able to run scans with MBAM without any problems however. Switching off MBAM and I can run scans from McAfee without any problems.

A bit of googling and I came across some info from McAfee forums talking about the McShield process and how it is set to high priority. Not good especially for an old system!

So I read on a bit further and I found a method to alter its priority from "high" to "normal". So more registry editiing but at least it is only value to add..

Here is the one:

4. Perhaps the most significant change for relief, lower
;; the priority of our On-Access Scanner from its default
;; "High" to "Normal"

This is done by creating/setting a DWORD registry flag
;; named "RunAtNormalPriority" to 1, under
;; [HKLM\Software\McAfee\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration]
;; and restart the service. (Or Reboot.)
"RunAtNormalPriority"=dword:00000001

After making that change. I am now able to run a quick scan with MBAM happily running resident. I'm going to keep testing but so far so good! Will also try updating to the 1.50 beta... Will post more tommorow.
Posted Image

#20 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,036 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:31 AM

Wow, thanks for doing all of this testing, that's great info :).

When you do test the beta, please set McAfee back to High Priority (default) and see if it's necessary to change it to avoid the problem.

If that doesn't work then simply exclude McAfee's Program Files folder from MBAM by using the Add button on the Ignore List tab (a new feature available in 1.50). Just make sure it's the folder that contains McShield.

Once that's done, reboot and see how performance is and if you can scan with McAfee.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users