• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FrackyMacky

FrackyMacky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

I ran a scan and came up with a warning of a registry change.
  • Vendor "pum.hijack.startmenu"
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartMenuLogoff
I browsed the threads in the MalwareBytes forum site and also found a very informative page http://www.broadband...tes-Issues-two- . It explained that this registry change was because I had Logoff in my Start menu (intentional). From the article, this is flagged because MalwareBytes cannot tell when such changes were intentional. However, I was wondering if MalwareBytes can be made to ignore harmless changes like having Logoff in the Start menu. I know that I can have it ignored now, but perhaps that should be the default.

Attached Files

#2 shadowwar

shadowwar

Forum Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

PUM means potentially unwanted modification. Malware can set this or you can. This shouldn't be checked by default do to it being PUM and if you made the change you can safely add it to the ignore list. That is why its labeled PUM being we can't know if malware set it or a power user did.
Rich Matteo
Research Engineer

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 FrackyMacky

FrackyMacky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

PUM means potentially unwanted modification. Malware can set this or you can. This shouldn't be checked by default do to it being PUM and if you made the change you can safely add it to the ignore list. That is why its labeled PUM being we can't know if malware set it or a power user did.

Weird, my first attempt to respond didn't appear.

I realize what PUM means, if you're saying it shouldn't be checked by default, then I don't know why it is being checked. I do know that when I checked for MalwareBytes updates today, it required a new reinstall (which means signing into the admin account).

As I mentioned, I know that I can have MalwareBytes ignore it, but this particular PUM has to do with making Logoff available on the Start menu. That seems quite unthreatening, so I wondered why MalwareBytes doesn't ignore it by default, regardless of who set it. Most people would be confused by the fact that it got flagged in the scan. Myself, I was still confused after googling it, and it wasn't until I encountered the link that I posted before it became clear.

#4 shadowwar

shadowwar

Forum Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well most people would want the logoff in the logoff menu. 1 in windows xp should disable the button from being there. It is opposite on later os'es.

Under settings/ scanner settings tab you can set PUM to ignore, unchecked or checked.
Rich Matteo
Research Engineer

staff.png

#5 FrackyMacky

FrackyMacky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

Well most people would want the logoff in the logoff menu. 1 in windows xp should disable the button from being there. It is opposite on later os'es.

Under settings/ scanner settings tab you can set PUM to ignore, unchecked or checked.

I haven't heard of a logoff menu in XP. How does one access it?

#6 Nezzar

Nezzar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

I am a new user of MBAM. The scan turned up PUM.Hijack.Start. Is this the same item as the one being discussed here? If so, will deleting it remove my "log off" from the Start Menu which I don't want to do? Can I just restore this item? I am rather confused; I have to admit.
Nezzar

#7 Nezzar

Nezzar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

I am a new user of MBAM. The scan turned up PUM.Hijack.Start. Is this the same item as the one being discussed here? If so, will deleting it remove my "log off" from the Start Menu which I don't want to do? Can I just restore this item? I am rather confused; I have to admit.
Nezzar

#8 shadowwar

shadowwar

Forum Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Deleting it will just restore the logoff to the start menu.
Rich Matteo
Research Engineer

staff.png

#9 Nezzar

Nezzar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have another problem. Since downloading the free MBAM, when I click on Windows Defender,I get a yellow sign saying the following: A problem caused this program's service to stop. Click the Start Now button or re-start your computer. If I click the Start Now button on Defender's interface, Defender starts normally.
I didn't notice this problem until after downloading MBAM. Is there a conflict between these two systems? If so, is there a way to resolve the problem? I am sorry to be so much trouble. Thanks in advance for your help.
Nezzar

#10 shadowwar

shadowwar

Forum Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

Please post in the general forums and they will help you there with that.

Thanks.
Rich Matteo
Research Engineer

staff.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users