is this normal?

byte_king

So, I've been using Defraggler for a while now and lately it seems to be leaving fragments behind....

Just today, my disk was 30% fragmented, I ran defraggler and it is now 20% defragged. This has been going on for a while now.

Umm, i need to resize my partition soon and I'll like to get this issue sorted out.

Thanks bros and sisters :)

EDIT: So, I used MyDefrag and than analyzed using Defraggler and it seems to have picked off all those fragments Defraggler left behind. Woot!

• Root Admin

There is typically very little difference and unless you have an odd software/hardware issue the built-in defragmeter works just fine.

All of these tools are using the Microsoft API routines for moving files around and some simply do it differently than others.

On Windows 7 the built-in one also runs on it's own with a scheduled task so why not run it unless you're bored and want to watch one run.

Ahh, ok so I'll just use the built in tool with W7 than. Cool!

Well, since I have you guys attention, I have another question: I need to resize a couple of partitions on my computer. I want to shrink my Windows 7 partition and extend a partition I use for Ubuntu Linux. Any ideas for a good tool to use besides the built in W7 one? GParted seems to be a good one and I may use that when I have to clean install a new version of Ubuntu (which probably won't be for a long while though)

And what are some possible issues I may run into? I've done some reading on it already, but opinions are always welcome

• Root Admin

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=4693

Gparted is an excellent tool and I would recommend it for a freebie tool. I have it and use it from time to time.

What can happen? You could lose ALL your data and have a difficult time recovering it if something went wrong on the partition table modifications. Always backup any of your important data. One never knows when disaster may strike such as even a hard drive failure out of the blue.

See post here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=369931

Cool, thanks Ron,

Yep I have everything backed up that I want, and have my rescue CD and installation discs at hand when I do this. I'm still reading up on it first and making sure I have every forseeable hurtle planned out for....

Still, this is nerve wrecking but I'm only paying for my lack of foresight a few months ago.

Ahh, ok so I'll just use the built in tool with W7 than. Cool!

Well, since I have you guys attention, I have another question: I need to resize a couple of partitions on my computer. I want to shrink my Windows 7 partition and extend a partition I use for Ubuntu Linux. Any ideas for a good tool to use besides the built in W7 one? GParted seems to be a good one and I may use that when I have to clean install a new version of Ubuntu (which probably won't be for a long while though)

And what are some possible issues I may run into? I've done some reading on it already, but opinions are always welcome

I've been pretty happy with the built in one. Never had any problems. Plus I think best to use something that's built in rather then 3rd parties if at all possible. :)

I would just use the one in Ubuntu to divide everything since Windows doesn't support the ext4 file system.