Photo

Am I being keylogged? personal opinions please.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

I used to have a friend who I talked to all the time, and he was one of those 4chan people (I didn't mind)

And I asked if he had any music files (probably he got them from limewire or somewhere)

And this was in 2009 (april maybe), and then we had a fall out, and I don't speak to him anymore.

I was just wondering I'm not sure if he was able to code any sort of keylogger (he was like 14)

Can I have some personal opinions, and not "If you think you are infected" thanks.

(I get paranoid about the internet and files, and stuff)

Last thing: If I was being keylogged, he would have taken my stuff already, which makes me think I am not, I really just want reassurance..

thanks..
Some people are just ignorant.

#2 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

:huh:

#3 Karl1965

Karl1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I myself would stay clear of limewire, there is a high chance that anything on limewire could be infected. If he sent you any music files to download from limewire, there is a chance it could have been infected with a keylogger or any other malware/virus. So yes he could have sent a keylogger to you and never know that he did. This is the main reason i stay away from file sharing sites it's a risk im not willing to take.

#4 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

I've had McAfee and Malwarebytes for ages, and nothing has ever really troubled them.. So I'm not sure.. :|

If there was a keylogger in the file, Malwarebytes should have detected it? (It must be in the database now if it's from 2009, if there is a keylogger, that is)

I personally don't use LimeWire (seeing as it's not there anyone, but I didn't use it in the first place)

#5 Karl1965

Karl1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

You may not have one i can't say myself, i do know that some viruses can hide from scans. I used McAfee a long time ago it slowed my computer down so much i couldn't use it. I did use AVG until they messed up with their new version. Now i use Avira and Malwarebytes, Avira picked up hidden stuff That Malwarebytes and many other scanners missed. Just because a scanner say you are clean don't mean that you are, no scanner detects viruses/malware 100%.

#6 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

What I meant was, if it was a keylogger, it's not zero-day, is it? Most AV/AM will put old malware/viruses in their database..

could be mistaken though..

#7 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Just to mention, when I used the file, the music actually worked, so I don't know if a virus would have the music still work...

#8 Karl1965

Karl1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

They could have been added by now... If you had a keylogger on your computer from back in 2009 i believe you would have seen an effect of it by now.

#9 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Yeah I know, I have bad paranoia, I did think, well if there was a keylogger, something would have happened by now..

But really I just wanted some opinions..

#10 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

OK, the only two unknown programs in my startup are jswtrayutil and an openoffice program startup..

Also, does a keylogger have to run a process or run a startup???

#11 CWB

CWB

Forum Deity

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

"jswtrayutil" ... seems to belong to toshiba and is legit .
"open office ..." is just that ... and you do not have to have the OO "quickstarter" run at startup ... this is one more item that will slow a machine down .

"keyloggers" can hide themselves rather well ... think about it ...
what good would a "sneaky" keylogger be if the first place it shows up is in the tray or in "windows task manager" ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users