Computer won't allow windows update or download of Malwarebytes
Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:15 PM
Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:13 AM
My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:
- The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
- Follow my instructions step by step if there is a problem somewhere, stop and tell me.
- Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
- Instructions that I give are for your system only!
- If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
- Do not install or uninstall any software or hardware, while work on.
- Keep me informed about any changes.
Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.
- When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
- Save both reports to your desktop. Post them back to your topic.
Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:54 AM
Thank you for your help. The time on the computer somehow changed and was the cause of the problems with windows update and possibly the hotmail issue as well. The computer still runs slower than normal though.
Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:06 PM
The time on the computer somehow changed and was the cause of the problems with windows update and possibly the hotmail issue as well.
So these problems are fixed, right?
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Go to "Update" tab and select "Check for Updates". If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Go to "Scanner" tab and select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
- The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.
In your next reply, please include these log(s):
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log
- a new fresh DDS log only
Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:14 AM
Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate.
Stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms diminish. Lack of symptoms does not always mean the job is complete.
Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by me or another helper.
Please download ComboFix from
Here or Here to your Desktop.
**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**
- If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
- Open Tools -> Options -> Main tab
- Set to Always ask me where to Save the files.
- During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:
- It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.
- Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.
- Close any open browsers.
- Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
- Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause unpredictable results.
- Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
- Close any open browsers.
- WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
- Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
- If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
- Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.
- When finished, it will produce a report for you.
- Please post the C:\Combo-Fix.txt for further review.
Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:26 PM
Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:56 PM
Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:02 PM
Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:17 PM
Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:35 PM
Thank you for your help. Computer still seems to be lagging at times online. It's like it gets hung up. From what you saw in the logs, should all be ok?
Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:50 AM
ESET Online Scanner
Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however may need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.
- Please go here then click on:
- When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
- Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
- Remove found threats
- Scan archives
- Scan for potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
- Now click on:
- The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
- When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
- Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
- When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
- Now click on:
- Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
- Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:51 AM
Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:57 AM
- Go to Start => Run... and copy & paste next command in the field:
- Then hit Enter button.
This procedure will do the following:
- Uninstall ComboFix
- Delete its related folders and files
- Reset your clock settings
- Hide file extensions
- Hide the system/hidden files
- Resets System Restore again
P.S.: Make sure there's a space between ComboFix and /uninstall
Please uninstall ESET Online Scanner.
Please manually delete DDS.
Keep your software up-to-date:
Some malware preventions:
Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM
Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:41 PM
Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:06 PM
Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:39 AM
Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:25 PM
Should I try the command in the command prompt window?
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users