56 replies to this topic

#41 tedivm

tedivm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hmmm. I'd like to offer to become a mirror but I'm not a corporation, but I do have some webspace available as well as a few gig of bandwidth I could make available.

If this kind of alternative were needed... I'd be prepared to step forward?

As much as the offer is appreciated, a few gigs is literally a drop in the bucket for us. At our daily peak we push out between three and four gigs a second on top of what is pushed from the existing mirrors. Even outside of the pure bandwidth requirements we have a high standard for mirrors- they need to be very stable and typically have multiple servers setup for resiliency.
Robert Hafner

Follow me: Twitter, Linkedin

#42 ThexDarksider

ThexDarksider

One of �them

• Spam Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, electronic engineering, mathematics, physics, acoustics, cosmology, logic, unconventional cogitation

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'd love to help too, but I only have a small home server with 60 KB/s upload, which is nowhere near enough. If I ever get a faster connection here and another server, I'll let you know.
It is better to choose to be bad than to be forced to be good.

#43 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

sounds like we have plenty of ex-military folks here....

Yes it does. :)

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#44 WaywardPilgrim

WaywardPilgrim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

To Malwarebytes Staff:

I've just taken an undesireable amount of time to register just to weigh in on this "Discusted" re: blatantly and infuriating deceptive download page, whether your own or via cnet. I had to recently do some recovery activity and somehow lost both Malwarebytes and Ad Aware.

TO MAKE A LONG, FRUSTRATING BECOME AGGRIVATING STORY SHORTER: THE DISHONEST, INTENTIONALLY DECEPTIVE DOWNLOAD PAGE, PARTICULARLY WHEN ROUTED THROUGH CNET HAS CAUSE ME TO PERMANTENTLY SWARE OFF BOTH CNET AND MALWARBYTES. I WILL NEVER AGAIN APPROACH EITHER SITE; AND, IF I KNEW HOW I WOULD PERMANENTLY BLOCK ANY LINK, ACCESS, AND OR ACTIVITY FROM EITHER ONE CONNECTING TO MY COMPUTER. I'M NOT PARTICULARLY SKILLED WITH COMPUTER TECH, BUT I HAVE A VISCERAL REACTION TO BLATANT INTENTIONAL DECEPTION. TOO BAD, TOO, CAUSE I USED TO TRULY VALUE MB AND CNET. NO MORE.

#45 meekrab124

meekrab124

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

I do admit that. But it's not our fault when a user clicks on the ad accidentally. You have to pay attention to the content and not get carried away. We have no control over them and that's how some keep their site running.

Ok, so first of all it IS malwarebytes' fault because they decided to not invest in there own website that wouldn't have links to infected programs. There a company that tries to stop these kinds of things so why send you to a web page that is loaded with them, and makes it so most people will click these links. I was going to download the free version of malwarebytes but it led me to a website that looks as though it had many infected links. So i made an account here so i can agree with the original topic. MagorGeeks doesn't even have an identifiable link to the actual program im looking for. the closest thing looks like the "Official mirror" link, like what the censored!? And every other link is some stupid ad. How hard is it to make a button that says "Download", or something along those lines. Not hard at all, and it takes 2 seconds. I will still download the program once somebody tells me what the real link is, but that doesn't change the fact that im truly horrified that a name brand would go to such lows just to get out of paying a such measly amount of profit for a website that everybody can use and that wont ruin your computer when you try to get a program that is supposed to fix it. This by the way has made sure that i will never pay for malwarebytes pro, which i certainly was thinking about doing.

#46 LDTate

LDTate

Forum Deity

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,126 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Just click on the "Official mirror"
Larry Tate
Product Support

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#47 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi meekrab124,

From Major Geeks, you may download Malwarebytes directly from here

The link was found here (first one that says Download @ Major Geeks):

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Download@MajorGeeks
Posted Image Posted Image Download@MajorGeeks
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Internode - |Australia|

Thank you for using Malwarebytes :)

P.S. I'm not am employee, just a satisfied Malwarebytes user and volunteer on the forums here.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#48 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Ok, so first of all it IS malwarebytes' fault because they decided to not invest in there own website that wouldn't have links to infected programs. There a company that tries to stop these kinds of things so why send you to a web page that is loaded with them, and makes it so most people will click these links. I was going to download the free version of malwarebytes but it led me to a website that looks as though it had many infected links. So i made an account here so i can agree with the original topic. MagorGeeks doesn't even have an identifiable link to the actual program im looking for. the closest thing looks like the "Official mirror" link, like what the censored!? And every other link is some stupid ad. How hard is it to make a button that says "Download", or something along those lines. Not hard at all, and it takes 2 seconds. I will still download the program once somebody tells me what the real link is, but that doesn't change the fact that im truly horrified that a name brand would go to such lows just to get out of paying a such measly amount of profit for a website that everybody can use and that wont ruin your computer when you try to get a program that is supposed to fix it. This by the way has made sure that i will never pay for malwarebytes pro, which i certainly was thinking about doing.

I agree that a lot of these download sites go a bit far in flashy ad's and difficult for some people, but there are several reasons to why they use different download sites.

1. It reduces resources on their server.
2. It provides more areas in case malware is blocking the download.
3. There are a lack of these types of download sites that are reputable.
4. It takes a lot to run these sites and many companies don't have the time, money nor resources to do this.

I recommend download something like HostsMan to install a host file that clears all this up. :)

http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#49 noknojon

noknojon

you know why ---

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

The downloads are usually quite simple if one looks at what you click on -
To download from FileHippo.com, click on the following link: www.filehippo.com
Or to download from Bleeping Computer, click on the following link: www.bleepingcomputer.com
Or to download from FileForum/Betanews, click on the following link: www.fileforum.betanews.com

If you receive a prompt asking you to "Run" or "Save" the file, click Save and save this file to your desktop.
Just another private helper .......................... The answer is always 42, or Reboot
If you are waiting for an answer Press F5 ................. you may have one waiting for you ........

#50 valvaris

valvaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

As a Fan of MBAM i can Provide a Host for the Downloads - It has unlimited Bandwith and Storage is OK! - Ill try to support MBAM as good as i can.

The drawback is that - I cant be a Huge Filehoster since those need dedicated lines and so on.... cost allot!

But as a mirror for the Free Version of MBAM - allways at your service!

Best regards

Val. <- Huge Fan of MBAM <- Made my ITS life allot easyer ^^

#51 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,497 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thank you for the offer Val but the downloads easily go into the terabytes of bandwidth and that would get you in trouble with most host providers.

Cheers

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

#52 Internaut

Internaut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Finding safe passage back to home planet.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hmmm. Not much has changed. The only problem I've encountered with 3rd to last party DL providers, is that they try to con the visitor in to downloading or misdirecting the visitor with [DOWNLOAD NOW] links all over the page that have noting to do with the file the visitor is wanting. Some end up installing fakeware that promises to find problems, and do, but to remove or correct the issues, costs more money. It's snake-oil sales pitches at its lowest.
I try to avoiud any purchase of software that takes me to a site whose page looks like an explosion in an advertising agency, and the first "DOWNLOAD NOW link isn't for the software I want to buy, it's for some sleezy fix-all-be-0all-end-all-empty wallet all fakeware.

I lowered my self-respect and security by downloading Mbytes off cNet. Then I was getting subscription notices, update notices, and more junk from cNet and cohorts. I fixed it by simply using another email maddress and losing the one cNet conived. Now, I never go to cNet, advise my clients not to use it or any thrird party download gin-site.

It's like this - if the people I'm buying software from need to use someone else to store their downloads, they can't be good. period.
I found this out too when I paid for my Mbytes, and was charged another $10.00 over and above the exchange rate. Mbytes said it ws their vendor (money collector), and the money collector said it was Mbytes policy. Would I buy it again = not on Mbytes life.
Do I use it, of course - I paid for it, and paid more than most people have. They don't understand that it is the same as going to the store with $50.00 nin your wallet, paying $20.,00 for a new shirt, take the shirt home and find that there is only $20./00 left in the wallet. Calliong the store and tghey say, "Oh yeah - that was the processors fault - talk to them, and the processors says it was the store. N E V E R A G A I N.

But that's not why I was reading this, it's to do with downloads. I don't get it - why does one have to download a program so they can download a program! How can one install Mbytes on a computer that cannot be connected to the Internet and, get the updates without connecting. Easy, use anopther computer, but gettting updates isn't as easy. There should be a separate means, and easy, well publicized way to get them - without opening a bare computer to all kinds of -stuff- to protect it from, all kinds of -stuff-.

Back in the days before Googlenet, there was the Internet, and for the greatest part, all of it was honest - none of this shyster-like "Download Me" in your face fakeware.

#53 DeeMee

DeeMee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Well said. I thought I was the only one with this issue. However, I use Filehippo for most of my downloading and would recommend it to others as well.

#54 hogwaump

hogwaump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

I used to send users to cnet for safe downloads, till I found that they were taking the ad links as malwarebytes download links and getting all sorts of junk installed in place of malwarebytes (and other products). I have definitely seen a bogus registry cleaner download from a link with a big malwarebytes text right beside it, as if they were actually trying to mislead the user.

#55 hmazuji

hmazuji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

these posts are right on.
i was tempted to start a new thread with these same complaints, but after a modicum of reflection, knew it didn't need a new thread.
i quit using cnet for all the aforementioned reasons.
and shame on you mbam for being the leader in malware detection and removal, yet compromising it all by using a dinosaur like cnet.

why doesn't mbam route out and fire all the irresponsible employees that contributed to this blunder. definitely be a plus, while simultaneously streamlining the company.

#56 hmazuji

hmazuji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

As much as the offer is appreciated, a few gigs is literally a drop in the bucket for us. At our daily peak we push out between three and four gigs a second on top of what is pushed from the existing mirrors. Even outside of the pure bandwidth requirements we have a high standard for mirrors- they need to be very stable and typically have multiple servers setup for resiliency.

why not use google ? anyone thought of that ?

#57 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,497 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Well this topic is pretty old now and has been discussed quite a bit already.

I will go ahead and close this topic now

Thank you everyone for your input.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users