• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lstarr

lstarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

I picked up something (virus, malware, whatever...I'm not sure) a couple of weeks ago and don't know how to fix such things. So I took my hard drive to a friend who ran a Malwarebytes scan (with the free version), which picked up several things, and he removed everything bad that the scan found.

I have since purchased the full version of Malwarebytes, which does real-time scanning (yes?), and I guess I'm just not familiar with how that will work.

1. For one thing, I'm not sure whether I ought to be using one browser over another (IE? Firefox? Chrome?). I know each tech-savvy person has his/her favorite, but is there one that seems to work better with Malwarebytes, or are they all compatible?
2. Will the real-time scanning actually block threats if/when they arise, or will I be informed that I need to run a scan if something is detected?

I apologize for my ignorance, and I appreciate very much any help that anyone can offer.

Thank you!

#2 DarkSnakeKobra

DarkSnakeKobra

May the penguin be with you!

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • Interests:Scripting, GNU/Linux, photography

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

:welcome:

1. Personally I'm against usage of IE as it's often exploited. I'd recommend Firefox or SRWare Iron(Chrome without the privacy invasion). :)

2. Yes. What other security are you running?

If you want we can help verify you're clean for free.:) Just follow the instructions below.:)

We don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums.
Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I'm not a staff member just another Malwarebytes' user.

Advice: Hug your dog, cat etc everyday! :)

#3 lstarr

lstarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

[quote name='Buttons' timestamp='1302316060' post='413307']
:welcome:

Hi, Buttons. Thanks for responding so quickly!

1. Personally I'm against usage of IE as it's often exploited. I'd recommend Firefox or SRWare Iron(Chrome without the privacy invasion). :)

When you say "exploited," do you mean by virus-makers/installers? As in, they most often use IE to spread their evilness?

2. Yes. What other security are you running?

I'm not running any other active security. I usually use Firefox, which has its own little "Firefox prevented a popup from opening on this site" thing. Other than that, I have only the AVG free version, which I downloaded a few weeks ago when my friend tried to run me through a diagnostic over the phone. He had me reboot in safe mode, but when I ran the AVG scan there were a bunch of locked files it couldn't access.

If you want we can help verify you're clean for free.:) Just follow the instructions below.:)

I've run a couple of Quick Scans since I got my computer back about 10 days ago (and one full scan, I think), and Malwarebytes didn't find any infections, so I think at the moment, my computer is clean. I was just asking to see about preventing future infections.

Again, thanks for your help.

#4 ThexDarksider

ThexDarksider

One of �them

• Spam Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, electronic engineering, mathematics, physics, acoustics, cosmology, logic, unconventional cogitation

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

[quote name='lstarr' timestamp='1302365119' post='413499']
[quote name='Buttons' timestamp='1302316060' post='413307']
[/quote]
When you say "exploited," do you mean by virus-makers/installers? As in, they most often use IE to spread their evilness?
[/quote]

That's basically what he meant, yes. IE has relatively more security holes than other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, ...) for multiple reasons (e.g., ActiveX).

[quote name='lstarr' timestamp='1302365119' post='413499']
I'm not running any other active security. I usually use Firefox, which has its own little "Firefox prevented a popup from opening on this site" thing. Other than that, I have only the AVG free version, which I downloaded a few weeks ago when my friend tried to run me through a diagnostic over the phone. He had me reboot in safe mode, but when I ran the AVG scan there were a bunch of locked files it couldn't access.
[/quote]

AVG is your active security. However, I wouldn't recommend it, especially since you're running the free version and have nothing to lose if you uninstall it. I recommend you get avast! free, as it has better detection rate and less false positives. For Firefox, I strongly recommend AdBlock Plus, in case you don't already have it.
It is better to choose to be bad than to be forced to be good.

#5 Conor55

Conor55

True Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

AVG killed my home desktop/tower.

I removed it and put Avast! On there, I like the Boot time scan a lot. :)

Also, you should think about getting NoScript for Firefox, too. ;)
Some people are just ignorant.

#6 ThexDarksider

ThexDarksider

One of �them

• Spam Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, electronic engineering, mathematics, physics, acoustics, cosmology, logic, unconventional cogitation

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

For some users (e.g., me), NoScript is an absolute must. However, some don't have the patience for it. It's definitely worth a try nonetheless, if you've never used it.
It is better to choose to be bad than to be forced to be good.

#7 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

Staff

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,183 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

NoScript is a great add-on and if you really want to try your patience also add Request Policy if for nothing else an eye opener of how many other networks and sites are linked directly to a page you're on.

Ron Lewis
Forum Community Manager

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#8 lstarr

lstarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

Thank you all for the responses and suggestions. I'll look into all of these various things. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users